Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19

    Why the lower water level?

    We were at DL for the last few days and we noticed that while on Pirates, the water was so low that you could see to the bottom of the water and see all the tracks. You also could see the "old" water level on the walls.
    Then when we went on Splash, it was the same there too.
    Even Grizzly was like that.
    So what's goin on? Anyone know why they do that? I had read somewhere that they lower it in the water rides in the winter so that people don't get as wet. I asked the CM that was running Splash and she looked at me like I was crazy. She didn't know why the water level was low.
    Just curious?

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,891

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Quote Originally Posted by flyinshirer View Post
    We were at DL for the last few days and we noticed that while on Pirates, the water was so low that you could see to the bottom of the water and see all the tracks. You also could see the "old" water level on the walls.
    Then when we went on Splash, it was the same there too.
    Even Grizzly was like that.
    So what's goin on? Anyone know why they do that? I had read somewhere that they lower it in the water rides in the winter so that people don't get as wet. I asked the CM that was running Splash and she looked at me like I was crazy. She didn't know why the water level was low.
    Just curious?
    The water shrinks when it gets cold ...

  3. #3

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,989

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    The lower the water level, the less the splash. When the weather is colder they regulate the amount of water people get doused with.

  4. #4

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,989

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    The water shrinks when it gets cold ...
    Yup. Like a scared turtle.

  5. #5

    • Mountain Dew User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    3,226
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Not to mention in splash and grizzly, there are rapids as well that go higher and lower than the constant water level, and over the years that can easily build up calcium deposits.

    Pirate's im not sure about, I dont think they would lower the water level in that one, and there are also not many waves... so idk about the one.

    Also, does lowering the water level in certain attractions really make the splash smaller? because once the boat hits the bottom of a drop, its going to go as deep down into the water as it would with more water. I guess it could since it would be "pushing" a greater volume of water forward.


  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, California, United States
    Posts
    667

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Looks the same to me. Most guests don't worry about things like that, so that's probably why the CM looked at you weird.
    -Wes

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Twin City
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Or it could have been less boats and/or guests in the attraction. Less mass equals lower water levels.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    well thats none of your buisness
    Posts
    25,263

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    The water shrinks when it gets cold ...
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Yup. Like a scared turtle.

  9. #9

    • BATTLE COMBINER!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Washington STATE.
    Posts
    526

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    They lower the water level with temperature, less water level means less splash, they don't want to freeze people.

  10. #10

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,662

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    The water shrinks when it gets cold ...
    Yup. Like a scared turtle.


    It shrinks?

  11. #11

    • Mountain Dew User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    3,226
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inanimate View Post
    They lower the water level with temperature, less water level means less splash, they don't want to freeze people.
    I was still just thinking about that..... but when the boat goes down a drop at a lower water level its going to go into the water at the bottom the same amount it does when it has higher water levels, so It should still push the same amount of water regaurdless of water levels.....


  12. #12

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,158
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Quote Originally Posted by FantasyWatersDude View Post
    I was still just thinking about that..... but when the boat goes down a drop at a lower water level its going to go into the water at the bottom the same amount it does when it has higher water levels, so It should still push the same amount of water regaurdless of water levels.....
    The water at the bottom is not a constant. It too will be at a lower level. The boat thus does not travel as deep into the water, and there is less water to be pushed around by the boat.

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Well I certainly learned something today!

  14. #14

    • Koubu Pilot
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but sometimes the water is heated on Grizzly. Even summer evenings get cool and I've noticed Grizzly uses warmer water when the sun goes down.

    I hear Tokyo Disneyland's Splash has a special mechanism that suppresses more of the splash when it's cold.

  15. #15

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,989

    Re: Why the lower water level?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but sometimes the water is heated on Grizzly. Even summer evenings get cool and I've noticed Grizzly uses warmer water when the sun goes down.
    I have a strong feeling Disney does not spend thousands of dollars heating Grizzley River's water. Maybe they don't replace the water for a while and the heat outside heats the water, but no way does Disney have a huge expense heating GRR water.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 08:21 PM
  2. Review of Fantasmic Premium Seating (Lower Level)
    By Sadako in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 11:56 PM
  3. Why Can't I Lower the Water or Raise the land in my RCT3 park??
    By Disney Wrassler in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •