Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

one day at Disneyland...what to do?

I'm planning on doing some college visits to Southern Cal and will probably have only ONE DAY to visit Disneyland. What are the must-see attractions?

Also, any advice on educational opportunities out there would be appreciated. I'm a high school junior, interested in a career as a broadcast video engineer. Probably will explore UCLA and USC.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: one day at Disneyland...what to do?

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain(if warm enough), Disneyland Railroad, Matterhorn, at least 2 fantasyland dark rides and fireworks.

Yeah, that should just about do it. Have fun!

Welcome to MiceChat!

Thanks, aashee. That sounds like an amazing and fun-packed day.

Does anyone know about undergrad programs in broadcast video engineering in SoCal?

I'd like to add Finding Nemo Sub Voyage to that list.

If your normal "home resort area" is WDW, I would pick Fantasyland rides that aren't at WDW, like Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, or Pinocchio.
    -- Rita

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by newbee View Post
    Does anyone know about undergrad programs in broadcast video engineering in SoCal?
    You may want to ask this question in the main lounge as you will probably get more responses. Unfortuantely I have no idea.

I agree with Aashees suggestions but would add Jungle Cruise and the Mark Twain.

A little piece of heaven

• DL Nerd

as much as you can!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Just this guy......

If you get to the park just before it opens you can do more attractions before noon that you can do the rest of the day.

Before you go be sure to read the fastpass write up go make full use of the system.

But Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones are must sees.

• In Mouse We trust

Quote Originally Posted by ghost1000 View Post
    I'd like to add Finding Nemo Sub Voyage to that list.
    Do not do this if you have only one day! It would be a waste of your time.
    I do recommend The TikiRoom with accompanying dole whip and pineapple spear.

• =)

First and foremost, you'd be wise to choose UCLA over 'SC, just FYI. But I'm sure you'll be wise enough to figure that out for yourself when you go visiting.

Now to business: what to do?

My non-negotiables are Indiana Jones Adventure and Space Mountain. They're incredible rides, but they usually have long waits. FastPass can help, or you can try hitting one first thing in the morning.

The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are two of the most fabulous dark rides ever created. Not high on the thrill factor by any means, but still must-sees.

The Matterhorn is historic and a lot of fun to boot. Keep in mind there are two tracks; the one on the left (or on the right, if you're looking from the hub, near the castle) is slightly more intense.

Thunder Mountain is a great attraction. It's another roller coaster, this time themed to a wild mine train ride through the wilderness. Lots of stuff to look at while enjoying a ride that's not too intense but still enough to pump you full of endorphins.

The Fantasyland dark rides (Snow White, Peter Pan, etc.) are great for kids or for those who really love the classic cartoons, but you probably won't be interested.

Star Tours is great for Star Wars fans especially. The ride is aging, but it's still impressive, as is the queue.

Honey, I Shrunk The Audience isn't popular around here, but most people enjoy it at least the first time. It's a 3D show; you'll never have to wait more than fifteen minutes, and if you time it right, you won't have to wait long at all.

Splash Mountain is a debatable one. It's very cutesy in a lot of places, but it has a certain charm to it and the final drop is a blast. Be aware you will get wet, though.

Have fun, and go Bruins!

• Rock Star Minion

Yes, yes, do all those attractions. But they'll be there while you're in college.

1. Watch It's a Small World at any 15-minute mark of the hour.
    2. Watch for Evil Queen above Snow White's Scary Adventures.
    3. Gaze up at Walt's apartment with the lamp on above the firehouse.
    4. Stand in the Star Tours line and watch the interaction among R2D2 and C3PO and the voices on the speaker system. Then check out the lazy droid farther up the queue. Just let people pass you and watch.
    5. Watch the Excalibur unstoning.
    6. Walk through Roger Rabbit queue and try to get all the puns and quips.
    7. Always put your hand up as a single rider when it is asked. You'll get on the ride portion of the attraction faster.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

If you must choose between dark rides in Fantasyland, might I suggest--Peter Pan as a must and Mr. Toad's as a second. Alice is a nice runner up.

Also-- if you haven't seen it--Fantasmic! I know a lot of people hate it, but I know many more who love it. It gets crowded, so here's my probably-not-so-secret plan of attack. At about 8:30ish I head to Critter Country for Splash mtn. Sometimes I have a fastpass sometimes not. You'll pass many throngs of people wating for Fantasmic! By the time you get off Splash Mtn (and it is totally worth it!) Fantasmic will be almost over and fireworks will be starting. (I would not sit around for fireworks--for my money-- they are only awe-inspiring if you are in front of the castle which takes hours of wait time). Once the Fireworks are over and the throngs of people scoot on out, you can scoot on in. I like the landing in front of the French Market. I've never done this during the busiest of x-mas seasons, but it has always worked summer, winter, spring and fall. It also works if you'd rather hit haunted mansion. Time to kill? Winnie the Pooh never has a line and takes about 3 minutes. Look for the Buffalo from the Bear Country Jamboree hanging on the wall.

Have FUN!!!!

• white and nerdy

Everything. One day is more than enough time.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• "I Break Things"

There is a service not related to Disney called "Ride Max" it is a computer based program that will organize the Attractions for you. I haven't tried it but I have heard really good things from a lot of people who have. It's $15, but if you only have one day it may be worth it.

As to my list, Jungle in day/night, Pirates, Mansion, Indy, Space, Matterhorn, and Thunder. would be primary... Buzz, Tiki, and Nemo being secondary... and the "classics" later in the evening when there is less of a line.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

First and foremost, you'd be wise to choose UCLA over 'SC, just FYI. But I'm sure you'll be wise enough to figure that out for yourself when you go visiting.
    Have fun, and go Bruins! [/quote]

Thanks, I have read that UCLA has a great program for video engineers.

• In the failsafe box

I have got three words for you, deary:

"One churro, please."
    Last edited by FrameDragger; 12-18-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast