View Poll Results: Is Nemo satisfying expectations?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • A). No. It was a mistake from conception.

20 11.49%
  • B). No. It NEEDS improvemnts to survive.

33 18.97%
  • C). Yes, but it will benefit from improvements.

88 50.57%
  • D). Yes. It is satisfying as is. No changes necessary.

33 18.97%
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Foundering Nemo?

(photo courtesy of girrrtacos)
    Ensign: "Cap'n Baxter, we're nose down and helm's not responding."

Cap'n: "Engage the Emergency Thematic Support System, ensign."

Ensign: "Beggin' your pardon, Cap'n, we don't have one. We got the hydrophone instead, sir. Remember? You approved it."

Cap'n: "By God, what was I thinking? In that case, it has been an honor serving with such a distinguished crew, and may God have mercy on our Souls."

Ensign: "We are only in six feet of water, Cap'n..."

Cap'n: "Shut up, ensign."

In the months since the Nemo frenzy, I have noticed the vague (and sometimes not so vague) disappointment many MCers feel in the FNSV 'final' product, after all the hype has worn off.
    Some of Nemo's fiercest defenders (and staunch advocates) seem to be viewing Nemo with a more skeptical eye--even the pineapple queen had this to say:

"Nemo by no means surpasses the original Submarine Voyage, IMO. I'd take the plastic fish pasted to the "coral" over what we have now any day."

Apologies to Her Majesty for the coarse use of quotation in this matter; I use it only to illustrate how, sometimes, "the worm turns" (so to speak) when there is little thematic support to an attraction.

My question to you is this: Is Nemo failing to live up to: A). It's own hype; B). The original Submarine Voyage Attraction; C). Guest expectations; or D). All or a combination of those preceding elements? Or is it 'smooth sailing', and doing just fine, thank you very much?

Without strong thematic support, Nemo has little to fall back on when the newness wears off, IMO; as, I believe, we are starting to see now. Can new additions to the attraction help it survive? Without any real connnection to Tomorrowland, it appears to inspire a creative disconnect with Guests. Comparisons to watching the Nemo movie have been a steady criticism of the attraction.

Are constant (relatively speaking) additions going to be needed to keep this attraction popular? It seems it is giving most a poor showing in its current incarnation. Some were happy that "movement" was back in the lagoon, regardless of the quality of the attraction installed. Do they still feel that way? Is 'something' truly better than 'nothing' in this case?

The poll is a simplistic look at Nemo's currnet situation, and I encourage all to expand on their votes with postings that reflect their true, unvarnished opinions of FNSV, its theme, its support of the Land it resides in, and its future (if any).

edited to add for clarity: I HAVE NOT ridden Nemo, and am merely commenting on a trend I have noticed lately regarding disappointment in Nemo from unlikely sources.
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 12-18-2007 at 12:50 PM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Foundering Nemo?

Here's my take. Nemo will be considered a strong attraction when the lines are 30 minutes or less like Thunder Mountain or Matterhorn. After waiting over an hour your expectations are at a high. The ride itself is fun and amusing but not WOW!

Once most people have experienced it and aren't in a rush to make sure it's a ride they have to go on, it will become what is truly is. A good E ticket that won't make or break your vacation if you go on it or not.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

A and C get my vote. A lot of internet Disney bloggers hyped this ride far beyond the rides ability to deliver. Rose tinted nostalgia made the old sub ride into something it never was. But yes I am one of those that is happy to see the subs back in action and the lagoon flora and fauna looking good. Now if they would just fix the cavern and serve up Nemo at the bengal BBQ the ride would be just a little better.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Hiding in the shadows

The ride needs to get rid of the screens and employ more AAs to make it less cartoony. As it stands right now, I fear that its not much more in some areas of the ride to sitting in a underwater movie theatre. Hopefully they rushed to get it open and there are improvements coming. If not, I can see Nemo going the way of Snow White or Pinocchio where there is little line or interest on a regular basis. Unfortunately for Nemo, those rides have a strong history.

The newness of Nemo is definitely wearing off. Most people I know have said its a one time thing, and they have no real desire to ride over and over again. Not really the voice from a true E ticket.

A little piece of heaven

I agree with Mousechild. The popularity of the old subs was exagerated and blown out of proportion by the nostalgia people felt about the ride. By the time it was closed, it was a walk on attraction that was more of a novelty than anything else.

Unfortunately when Disney reimagined the attraction, they failed to address the real issues of the attraction, and depended heavily on the novelty of the sub experience. IMO the story itself is better and more dynamic than the original, but the subs themselves do little to make this a truly showstopping experience.

It just generally leaves me with a.."Eh....it's been done" feeling.

Is it too early to say that what the subs need are pirates?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DCAFTW View Post
    By the time it was closed, it was a walk on attraction that was more of a novelty than anything else.
    Boy, your memories are sure different than mine.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    A and C get my vote. A lot of internet Disney bloggers hyped this ride far beyond the rides ability to deliver. Rose tinted nostalgia made the old sub ride into something it never was. But yes I am one of those that is happy to see the subs back in action and the lagoon flora and fauna looking good. Now if they would just fix the cavern and serve up Nemo at the bengal BBQ the ride would be just a little better.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCAFTW View Post
    I agree with Mousechild. The popularity of the old subs was exagerated and blown out of proportion by the nostalgia people felt about the ride. By the time it was closed, it was a walk on attraction that was more of a novelty than anything else.

Unfortunately when Disney reimagined the attraction, they failed to address the real issues of the attraction, and depended heavily on the novelty of the sub experience. IMO the story itself is better and more dynamic than the original, but the subs themselves do little to make this a truly showstopping experience.

It just generally leaves me with a.."Eh....it's been done" feeling.
    True that nostalgia played a huge role in the fond memories all had of the original Subs. But, 'nostalgia' is based on the desire to return to a loved or special remembered place or time. Is Nemo capable of instilling such love? Will it become 'nostalgic' in comparison to its predecessor?

•   

Is it too early to say that what the subs need are pirates?
    We have to wait for PirateLover68 to show up first (with churro in hand).

I enjoyed the ride but I have only waited for it once. I will not go on it again until I only have to wait a half hour.

I also hadn't ridden the subs since I was a little shorter than I am now. I do not particularly care for being hunched over for 15 minutes. Oh well. There are some improvements to be made but overall I think that it is a nice ride. Not worth an hour and a half wait but it is a nice ride.
    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    The ride needs to get rid of the screens and employ more AAs to make it less cartoony. As it stands right now, I fear that its not much more in some areas of the ride to sitting in a underwater movie theatre.
    This seems to be a major criticism.
    The newness of Nemo is definitely wearing off. Most people I know have said its a one time thing, and they have no real desire to ride over and over again. Not really the voice from a true E ticket
    This is one as well. Good post, Molly.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Here's my take. Nemo will be considered a strong attraction when the lines are 30 minutes or less like Thunder Mountain or Matterhorn. After waiting over an hour your expectations are at a high. The ride itself is fun and amusing but not WOW!
    Totally agree with this.

Our first ride we waited almost 2-hours and I was less than satisfied with the return on investment.

Second ride we waited about 30 minutes and I liked it much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Boy, your memories are sure different than mine.
    Must be different than mine too. The subs ALWAYS had a line from what I remember.

I thought about this some more. The old subs were in their hay day when I was a wee tot. The older I got the more decrepit and faded the subs became until they were so bad you would have had to pay me to get on them. At the start of the ride, after a 5 minute wait at the beginning of the day, I was thrilled to see a clean and vibrant seascape. After about a minute in the caverns I was zoning out the story and hoping the ride would end soon. Over the next three days in the park I could not convince my 8 year daughter to go on the ride again.

IMHO the ride needs some serious help. The lines will fix themselves in a year or so but the ride was a waste of at least half the money spent. I would have liked it more if the cavern and story were not in place and the ride was just a longer cruise through the seascape without a story. I think in this case the powers-at-be (JL?) over storied the ride.

• Closed Account

"Over storied."

I think that's my new favorite term!

•   

After about a minute in the caverns I was zoning out the story and hoping the ride would end soon. Over the next three days in the park I could not convince my 8 year daughter to go on the ride again.
    An interesting phenomenon, considering Disney seemed to be 'marketing' this attraction to the little ones...

I would have liked it more if the cavern and story were not in place and the ride was just a longer cruise through the seascape without a story. I think in this case the powers-at-be (JL?) over storied the ride
    And seemingly told us nothing new. A bloated Fantasyland dark ride that is merely a physical re-telling of a familiar story? Is that going too far?

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast