• Sock Puppet

D-MGM has them. USH has them. Why not DCA

One of the only reasons I ever visit Universal Studios Hollywood is to visit the back lot and see the various movie sets (since USH doesn't have a but collection of rides). I am a big movie fan and am always interested in getting a close up view of various sets, props, etc.

I have seen on other sites that the Disney-MGM Studio also displays sets and props from current Disney movies. I have never been there but looks interesting (although the movie was lame, I would have loved to check out the sets from the Haunted Mansion movie up close).

DCA has a 'Hollywood' section. They have 2 large (Millioniare and Hollywood & Dine) buildings.......why doesn't Disney bring sets and props from current Disney movies and place them on display here? How hard is it to load up an impressive set and rebuild it in a shell building? They can truck them all the way to Florida but not drive them down the freeway to Orange County? Seems like a cheap, inexpensive way to bring some eye candy and authentic Hollywood magic to Disney's California Adventure.

San Soo Justin

www.socalinvestigators.com

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Re: D-MGM has them. USH has them. Why not DCA

Usually the El Capitan theatre in Hollywood displays props from current Disney films. You can also find them for sale on ebay.

But I do think a display at HPB is appropriate. Maybe during its rehab this fall/winter, something like that will be installed.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Basking in birthday love

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea! I'm a huge film geek, so I'd definitely spend some time at such an attraction. It'd be a great addition to the backlot.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I'd love to see that!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

you know what... if they were smart they could actually remove millionare and then install sets from future movies to get people to come.. (how about sets from pirates.. LOL)

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

I've always thought this was strange, too...

Universal has props in displays around the park, even stuff from Wicked.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt
    I've always thought this was strange, too...

Universal has props in displays around the park, even stuff from Wicked.
    Well it is Universal Studios Hollywood. Since the days of the silent era when they sold box lunches to families while they watched films being shot USH has focused on what they actually do - make movies. In more recent times (now in the NBC family) and better outreach to the Hollywood tourism community you'll see alot more Wicked, etc. on property. ANYTHING to promote HOLLYWOOD!

There was discussion at the studio at one point of more cross-promotion aside from the El Capitan "tent shows"/teas/event space displays of doing more at the DLR. Suggestions included a Planet Hollywood-esque (WITHOUT then Planet Hollywood of course) restaurant featuring costumes, props, etc. from the studio. And even a partnership of sorts w/ Debbie Reynolds who owns one of the most impressive private collections of classic Hollywood costumes and more (especially after her disastarous Las Vegas and Hollywood & Highland experiments at displaying this treasure trove).

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Props sound like a great idea.

It reminds me of the "fake props" used for decoration by the bathrooms. The words "Fake props" are strangely redundant to me.

• So!

Sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

• The one, the only...

I have been to DMGM and seen the props and movie artifacts there. To tell you the truth, they have limited appeal. It is fun to see them once or twice, but after you have seen them, the interest wanes. I don't mind having them there, but it does feel like visiting a museum.

I would like to see Disney go in different and more innovative direction. I love movies too. But I don't want to see the "magic" behind the movies. I want to experience the magic of BEING IN the movies. I want to be Indiana Jones not see props from those movies. I want to be Harry Potter, and not see just the props. I hope that Disney takes THAT approach in building a "movie" theme park. I would love to see DCA become that kind of park.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Shubisha

The MGM tram tour was lame in my opinion It was such a universal studios wannabe that I just had no sympathy for it while I was riding. But then again, seeing the house from golden girls...WOW! :P

I have had exactly the same idea in the past. Disneyland, at various times, displayed sets and props from "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" and "Babes in Toyland". And, the new park could use a changing exhibition space to help keep the place fresh for returning visitors.

Having a "Backstage: Disney" where the creative process for a particular project is documented and presented in a comprehensive way would be very much in keeping with the concept for the new park. Ideally, each exhibit could be experienced in a dynamic way similar to the television documentaries for which Walt Disney was responsible, such as that for "20,000 Leagues", itself.

The popularity of such an Attraction would depend mostly on the strength of the films. Disney does have a few promising things in the pipeline, such as "The Chronicles of Narnia" and the sequels to "Pirates of the Caribbean".

D.C.A. would be able to promote these films and, in so doing, stay timely and relevant to popular culture.