Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Latest Disney Gallery / Dream Suite News

I actually would welcome the removal of the stairs. These were not original with the space. Just have the small balcony.
    The Mur

I wondered if they were going to do anything with those stairs. I remember before the gallery was the gallery and those staircases weren't even there. That public "entrance" was just a window. Prior to the gallery opening, all the public ever got to see was the wrought iron balcony from below with Walt and Roy's initials. When those staircases were first built, I didn't like the look of them at all. If they do remove them, it will bring the building closer in appearance to its original state. It'll probably look really nice actually.
    Last edited by MagicKingdomBoy; 12-20-2007 at 12:59 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Some pretty iffy night shots:

Adventureland-side stairs:

Royal Street Verdana-side:

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    I wondered if they were going to do anything with those stairs. I remember before the gallery was the gallery and those staircases weren't even there. That public "entrance" was just a window. Prior to the gallery opening, all the public ever got to see was the wrought iron balcony from below with Walt and Roy's initials. When those staircases were first built, I didn't like the look of them at all. If they do remove them, it will bring the building closer in appearance to its original state. It'll probably look really nice actually.
    That's true - the stairs were only added for the Disney Gallery back in '87.

Unfortunately, though, if the stairs ARE being removed, that conclusively squashes any remaining hope of the Gallery returning at the conclusion of the Year of a Million Dreams.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Unfortunately, though, if the stairs ARE being removed, that conclusively squashes any remaining hope of the Gallery returning at the conclusion of the Year of a Million Dreams.
    Well, they could always build new ones; right? Or they could use the rear entrance. I have a feeling that suite is going to be a suite for more than just a year though. But that is sheer speculation.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneyland

Blog Entries

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Here's some shots from a couple of days ago...

• Banned User

All I can say about those railings being gone is .... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I spent 2 decades going up that staircase, to see what was in store at the Disney Gallery. This makes me feel incredibly sad and mad!

• DL Nerd

belay my last
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• A Honorary Autobot

Wow. That's insane.

But at least the oxidized scorch marks left by overzealous plasma cutters are still there to view like the scars of a botched surgery. That's good show.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I've been watching the new Secrets of Disneyland DVD set for the past week, and I liked Tony Baxter's comment regarding how if they took something out, their goal was to replace it with something better. It's really hard to see how they are going to do that in this situation. The gallery was one of my favorite places to hang out. Now it's gone, remodeled so that a select few can enjoy it instead. As for the staircase, I really felt that it added to the look of the front of the building. How they can justify ripping it out is beyond me. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe they'll surprise us with something that looks better.

In the mean time, I think the whole idea sucks.

• Banned User

I suppose if they left that stairway, after the remodel is done, just anyone can walk up the steps, and to the "Dream suite" (Gag, cough, choke). It's just too sad to think about it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    ^ But will the stairs even be necessary anymore? Now that the lucky guests will no doubt be "whisked" up to the suite through some inside route?
    If they are removing the riverfront stairways, my guess would be that they are restoring the space to its original 21 Royal Suite appearance as it appeared in "Walt's Time" (yes, I know Walt never got to see the finished Suite).

The original "Front Door" was always tucked back in the 21 Royal Courtyard. At the bottom of the white wooden stairway (still there), there used to be a Club 33-like Speakeasy intercom. You buzzed that and that was how you entered the Suite...up the wooden stairs and through the entry foyer/hall (what later became the Disney Gallery's "back door" when the riverfront stairs were built for the Gallery's opening). This is what is mentioned as the "entry hall" in the first sentence of an old article in the Disneyland Line Cast Newsletter I have in the Opus Archives:

So if the riverside stairways are coming down and restoring the building to its original appearance...I would suspect either the new elevator or the old original "front entrance" in the 21 Royal Courtyard...would be how they introduce lucky overnighters to the Suite.

From a purely Disney geek point-of-view...I would prefer to enter how Walt did (even though he only lived long enough to be able to enter a mostly unfinished space up there)...and that's via the 21 Royal Courtyard and stairs.

Opus, great post! I never knew about the INA suite. I always thought that Walt's suite remained unfinished. From that article, I was clearly mistaken. Do you have any additional pictures of the INA suite? I would love to see how the rest of the suite looked. Oh, and 4,200 square feet? I'm not great at math, but that sounds much larger than the gallery and its patio seemed.

In that picture, you can see the lower half of the original beautiful chandelier that was replaced a few years ago with those IMO cheapy-looking brass plated ones.

• Imaginative Possibilities

interesting newsletter...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast