• FastPass n00b

More respect for Disneyland now or as a kid?

As I was looking at a picture of Haunted Mansion, I noticed something very interesting. As a kid, I always believed that the outside facade was really haunted and I would always try to peek through the curtains in the windows to try and see the ride inside (I honestly believed the ride took place inside the facade!). It was so real and so believable to me that I literally felt that the mansion was the real thing. Today I'm still just as impressed by the HM, but it's so much different now. Instead of enjoying it for a real-life structure, I marvel at how the ride building is beyond the berm and how amazing those special effects are even though they're 35 years old. My appreciation for Disneyland has definitely shifted, but it hasn't diminished.

Although I had more fun as a kid at Disneyland, I honestly feel as though I have more respect for it today. As a kid, everything was new to me whether it was the then-new 1983 redo of Fantasyland or the Jungle Cruise. I had no concept of nostalgia or history, I just liked Disneyland because it was "fun" and that was the only reason. And I know that you guys are going to think I'm crazy, but I feel that Paul Pressler was a good thing that happened to Disneyland. They say that you don't know what you have until you lose it, and thanks to Pressler we almost lost Disneyland forever. Through his misguided efforts, he has given all of us a much deeper appreciation for Disneyland by showing us what we had to lose in that park. So I think that today, because I understand nostalgia and showmanship and nearly had Disneyland yanked from me forever, I feel I have a MUCH deeper appreciation for Disneyland today than as a kid.

What do you guys think? Do you like Disneyland better now or when you were a kid?

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: More respect for Disneyland now or as a kid?

I don't think nearly losing everything Disney about Disneyland gave me any deeper an appreciation than I already had. Quite the contrary: it made me pessimistic about future offerings. Where I once was excited about new things in the park, I am now skeptical. You cannot convince me that Pressler did anything good for DL. Cynthia yes (she saved the canoes), but not Pressler.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    ... My appreciation for Disneyland has definitely shifted, but it hasn't diminished.

What do you guys think? Do you like Disneyland better now or when you were a kid?
    I enjoy Disneyland differently now than when I was a kid. Whereas I used to think Injun Joe's Cave was long, winding, narrow and dark, I now see it as short and well lit (of course, they have added lights over time).

I loved Peoplemover because it gave me a front-seat view of some of my favorite attractions. Today I enjoy the Mark Twain because it allows me to rest my feet, people watch, and enjoy the wonderful ambience.

Athlonacon, I like how you mentioned your appreciation for Mansion changing after you've essentially learned some of it's secrets. There comes a time when a regular's focus shifts from admiring the magic to admiring the people (i.e. Imagineers & Cast Members). I've been fortunate enough to have had a steady appreciation for both. Sometimes it's best to try to view the park through the eyes of a curious child there for the first time.

• The one, the only...

I have more respect for Disneyland now. As a kid it is easy to enter into a world of "fantasy" and pretend you are in a different world. As an adult that is harder, but Disneyland still does that for me. For a few precious hours I can leave my troubles behind and have fun! There are not that many places on earth that can do that!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Artsy Fartsy

I agree with you, that I definatley see it as a diffrent type of respect. As a kid you are in awe of the characters the thrills of the rides, and now as an adult I'm still in awe but now about the effort that the Imageneers put into the park. And the Cast Members on how they are so proud of what they do. The respect that I have for disneyland is soooo much more now as an adult. I think thats what makes it magical for me.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I, too, can say that I have a different respect for DL now than I did when I was a kid. When I was a kid, I thought it was all real. I used to wonder how the heck they made it nighttime inside POTC, and as I walked down the hallway from the elevator of the HM, I used to wonder how did they make it rain outside? Used to blow my little mind.

Now? I have the utmost respect for a park that so thoroughly immerses you in fantasy and magic. The magic isn't lost on me, even after going over 50 times in one year. That's pretty cool.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Hooterville, USA

DL to me, is the same as when I was a kid. Someplace to go to escape reality. I have a better understanding of the park and I am curious how things are done too! But my love is just as deep for DL as it was when I was little.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.