Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Resident Ghost

Disneyland Speech Ideas...

Let's say you were going to listen to a 7-10 minute speech about Disneyland that would have visuals. What would you want it to be about?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Speech Ideas...

Well....maybe about all of the celebrity icons and such that have walked through the turnstyles of Disneyland - with pictures of such notable people doing things or eating or just enjoying the wonder that is Disneyland.

• aka the scorpion eater!

Let me guess its for a project... If i was to give a speech on Disneyland I would focus on the classic attractions and Disneyland in the pre-Eisner era... though I never got to see how it used to be theres lots of stuff you can read about regarding the history of Disneyland and how it was in the time of ticket books.... then I would shift it to how Disneyland has evolved over the most recent years up to this current date... maybe research some advancements and patents done by imagineers for attractions that set the bar above the rest in the theme park industry because the imagineers develop lots of new and original ideas that are sometimes prototypes for future attractions and ideas.... though I would be sure to emphasize that the DCA addition was not well received by the general public if you mention anything about the resort expansion!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Walt's dreams and visions. If Walt is in the report, you can't lose.

• aka the scorpion eater!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Walt's dreams and visions. If Walt is in the report, you can't lose.
    I could not agree more... you have to Include Walt in there... you can never lose with that!

• Resident Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by tamasurvivor View Post
    Let me guess its for a project... If i was to give a speech on Disneyland I would focus on the classic attractions and Disneyland in the pre-Eisner era... though I never got to see how it used to be theres lots of stuff you can read about regarding the history of Disneyland and how it was in the time of ticket books.... then I would shift it to how Disneyland has evolved over the most recent years up to this current date... maybe research some advancements and patents done by imagineers for attractions that set the bar above the rest in the theme park industry because the imagineers develop lots of new and original ideas that are sometimes prototypes for future attractions and ideas.... though I would be sure to emphasize that the DCA addition was not well received by the general public if you mention anything about the resort expansion!
    Good Idea.

This isn't a project for school though. It is for a class, but my no means is it required. It's actually for Speech and Debate. I want to have a speech about Disneyland. It's not required for class, but I want to do it for fun.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I did a couple speeches on Disneyland for my Public Speaking course a couple years ago.

My informative speech was on the history of the Haunted Mansion (5-6 minutes). And my persuasive speech (7-10 minutes) was Why to visit Disneyland during the 50th Anniversary - and I covered all the new offerings during the 50th (Buzz, Space, fireworks, First 50 Magical Years, etc).

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Defying gravity

I gave two speeches for my communication class this past semester. One was about why Disney parks are far superior to other parks (i.e. Universal, Six Flags, etc.). The other was about why Disneyland is a more quality experience compared to WDW. For visuals, I would recommend using a power point.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I did a speech a couple of years ago for my speech class on the construction and opening day of Disneyland. I included a power point presentation of pictures of the construction. It was really interesting to read about the problems encountered not only in the construction but also how disasterous opening day was.

• Resident Ghost

These are all good ideas!

• decorating

Typical day at Disney for employees. Stats on how many in park, how often bathrooms cleaned, how many people walk around sweeping per however many square feet. The late night activities to spruce it up for next day. Small things, like the 2 finger point rule. Crowd control before/during/after shows like Fantasmic and the hub after fireworks.
    I always think it's fascinating, how much organization gowa into things like that

• "I Break Things"

Speech on Disneyland... depends on the motivation behind the speech (i.e. cultural impact, political impact, economic impact, work relations etc.) it depends on how you want to present it (present day, history, or comparison of Disney "over the years") and it depends on how you personally feel about it (Pro Disney, Anti-Disney, don't care or could care less). Personally I would focus on separating Disney the man, from Disney the brand... that would make for a very interesting debate.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Bacon View Post
    Let's say you were going to listen to a 7-10 minute speech about Disneyland that would have visuals. What would you want it to be about?

Is this an expository speech for the NFL?

If it is, from a judge's standpoint, I can tell you what I want to see.

I want to see something creative and inventive, something that hasn't been done before. I used to be the captain of my debate team when I was in high school, and Expos was always one of my favorites. You can do so much with it. Because you can have audio and visuals, you have so much leeway. A lot of people make a speech and have their visuals and audio be an afterthought. Perhaps, you should find one visual or one piece of audio that you could form your speech around. Get inspired!

I actually ran with a Disney expos two years in a row. The first time I had a Haunted Mansion speech and did well with it. The second time I went more generic and did it on Disneyland as a whole. Both were pretty good, but I got into trouble with the Disneyland speech. I had the knowledge and the speaking ability. I had some pretty good visuals and the right amount of audio. It was a great speech. The final tournament of the year I had made it into finals with this speech. I had the best darn speech out of all the finalists. I knew I won. It turns out I came in sixth, last place. Why? Two of the judges told me I had plagiarized my speech, which I didn't. One of them said I must've worked at Disneyland, and that's why I knew so much. None of these allegations were true. The speech was from my heart. It was my own work. The problem was that it was so generic, so much like something Disney would put out. The way I approached it was creative and inventive. My topic, however, was too cliché for those judges however.

As a judge for the NFL, I have seen a lot of speeches on Disney. All of them are generic, most are more generic than my Disneyland speech. What I would suggest to you is that you make your Disney speech with a limited focus. Focus on a particular land in Disneyland, a ride, attraction, or how the Magic Kingdom concept has developed and grown over the years. But, don't make it generic in the least, or in anyway that it could be construed as generic. Don't make it too universal. Apparently that is bad in Expos for some unknown reason. It still has to have universal appeal, but don't have your focus be a wide one. It will probably kill you.

If you need any further help constructing your speech, coming up with ideas, etc, you can ask me. I am a judge after all.

• Resident Ghost

Cool, I just PM'ed you.

• Banned User

I would talk non-stop about how I was going to get rid of Innovations and HISTA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast