View Poll Results: Do you want the People Mover Back At DL!

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

149 88.17%
  • No

20 11.83%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: People Mover

Re: People Mover

Since I've never thrown in on one of these threads before...

The PM track needs something moving around up there to make it worthwhile, but for Disney to spend tons and tons and tons of money to re-open the People Mover in its original form, which was not exactly a huge draw (how often did anyone actually wait in line for it?) doesn't seem like a good idea.

The Rocket Rods, while obviously a nightmare and not exactly well thought out, was a pretty fun ride which was marketable enough to actually bring people out to the park for it. Obviously, the RR's would need a ton of stuff done to the track to ever get it to come back either.

So, what about an idea that I haven't seen anyone else really mention -- what about a future themed launched roller coaster ride? It could travel slowly the same way that the people mover did, and then launch at a high speed out of the Buzz building. After that point, the ride could maintain its speed with relatively minor changes to the track configuration all the way until just about the end.

Yes, DCA has a "launched" ride, but the idea could be to have it more flat and to keep the speed up for the entire ride. Giving it a bit more thought, have it roll relatively slowly into Buzz, where you are told that the Peoplemover has been upgraded to a new magnetic system that will take you for a short tour of Tomorrowland which will stop to drop you off near Space Mountain... but then right before you launch, "something goes horribly wrong" and they launch you out of the Buzz building at a high speed through the next part of the ride. At the old second level of the Starcade, create a second show scene which would slow the ride down for a relatively leisurely crawl back to the station. Something like California Screamin', only with a backstory and real theming on the ride.

I expect we'll see the Incredipod people mover idea though, which I am not a fan of at all. I think I'd rather see the 'nothing on the PM track' idea than that. Then again, I bet that I'm in the minority there.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

i think the people mover returning would be great and i find it kinda funny that people say it had no line, since it was a people eater with continous loading which meant that any lines would be absorbed in short order.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

This has been covered before a few times...

First off I loved the PM and Rods were ok too but not as good as PM's

History: PM's tech was originally thought up for the worlds fair by bob gurr of course.

Walt Disney intended for a version of it to be used in conjuction with a monorail as the primary transportation for his Progress City or original EPCOT concept.

Mistake One: When they made the bad decision to build the rods they had to rip out all of the track and motorized wheels in the track to make the PM's move and replaced it all with current rollercoaster style steel tube track and electric rails for power to be used by the rods.

Yes rods didnt work out because they caused too much wear and tear on track and their wheels on the unbanked turns....duh

That was mistake 2 by disney geniuses

Mistake 3? removing rods without just simply reprogramming the vehicles speed to slow down a big on the bad turns this could have been fairly easily have been done. but they didnt they pulled them and then worse had them cut up into tiny pieces.....yep they did

so they ended up with a track that CANT run PM's like they used to.

now they could have come up with some sort of ride slow or med slow that can use the exisiting track and rail system and might still be able to unless it has rusted away too much due to gross neglect

and yes it is SHOCKING that they think they can let the track go fallow for so long in the old days of walt the real imagineers like Gurr could have whipped up a solution and got it running in a few months

letting this just go and rust and be an embarrassement for so many years they should be ashamed

so mistake 4 was removing a functioning ride like rods without fixing it or have a replacement ready asap

I also heard the rumor of a incredibles type white pod ride that could be made to rotate per user request..

there have also been complaints about them having to conform to current safety laws concerning clearances and openess of cabins ...b.s. come on you either enclose it with a/c or you enclose it with small air holes or vents that would prevent *******es from sticking their body parts out of a moving vehicle!!

I guess this falls into the category of spending millions on a new monorail that fits the old / new retro tomorrowland now that that fiasco concept has been dropped and then not actually measuring anything and making the new monorails wide on the skirt so that they can ride the track without collisions!

disney co aces another one!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

I agree with goatdan. I was thinking of something on the lines of the clip below. Retheme the cars to be more futuristic and control the speeds in areas of a showroom. I love AA's, thats what separates Disney from other theme parks, so put more up in TL!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6DepDpfOc-k

Quote Originally Posted by Drum-&-Train View Post
    I agree with goatdan. I was thinking of something on the lines of the clip below. Retheme the cars to be more futuristic and control the speeds in areas of a showroom. I love AA's, thats what separates Disney from other theme parks, so put more up in TL!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6DepDpfOc-k
    I don't think the Mystery Mine idea would work as well, as Disney needs really high capacity attractions. With the train configuration of that ride, they can pump about 1000 through an hour -- great for a park like Dollywood, not so much for a much more attended park like Disneyland.

I was thinking more of a longer train, similar to Screamin', Xcelerator at Knotts, or Mummy at Universal. If you did Xcelerator style with four trains and a short ride cycle (load, post load / pre launch, launch / ride, final scene / pre-disembark, disembark) you would have enough space to do it in. You could realistically probably launch a train every 40 or so seconds with a shorter ride, which would give you a capacity of 1800, and you could probably extend the train by a car or two, giving the ride a 2000+ capacity figure.

I

I would worry less about the capacity and focus more about the show elements. ex. the new monorails are not designed for more capacity but for the overall experience to the guest.
    Indiana Jones does not have high capacity, neither does TOT. The new proposal CARS attraction in DCA are similar to Test Track, are also not high capacity.

I heard the the PM\RR track is weak for everyday uses anyways and they don't want to put in the money to fix it. So I guess we have to wait until they figure something out.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

The PM track cannot support the weight and stresses of any rollercoaster type ride only a slower than RR ride like the original PM would work on the existing track....

with that in mind there is a whole lot that can be done with this if they are creative enough

TM was always bascially about being on the move about how we might get around in the future including moving ramps and sidewalks all of which are mostly gone now btw do the cheap thinking of DL execs stairs are more futuristic than a moving ramp!

The idea was you would get around longer distances on a monorail to get from city to city then shorter distances with the PM from building to building and finally moving ramps.... this was never really tied in at the park like he intended at the original EPCOT concept but you could get the idea..

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

well...

They should just bring back a redone version of the People mover. But, I think it would be nice to open up the middle of Tomorrowland to the sky. It would make the area more spacious. They could join the tracks right in front of TL (behind the rockets) and tear out the track that goes down the middle of TL. They could then move the rides entrance into the Innoventions building upstairs (the track is already there anyway). Not only would this give more room for loading and unloading, but it would also bring more guests into the Innoventions building.

I wouldn't expect them to use the existing supports or tracks for a faster ride. A new steel support that kinda wraps around the existing track we all know and love. It would hold the integrity of a faster ride.

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    The PM track cannot support the weight and stresses of any rollercoaster type ride only a slower than RR ride like the original PM would work on the existing track....
    Precisely. Replace the PM track with coaster track. A coaster like Xcelerator cost $13 million. To redo the entire PM track and add more trains, I'd believe that cost would float up to around $20 million for the ride system itself. They would still need to obviously modify the structures that the ride goes through which would be the largest cost of all, but I would be surprised if the whole thing even with a couple 'scenes' in it wouldn't come in under the cost of Nemo, and it would certainly be an E ticket style attraction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    I don't think the Mystery Mine idea would work as well, as Disney needs really high capacity attractions. With the train configuration of that ride, they can pump about 1000 through an hour -- great for a park like Dollywood, not so much for a much more attended park like Disneyland.

I was thinking more of a longer train, similar to Screamin', Xcelerator at Knotts, or Mummy at Universal. If you did Xcelerator style with four trains and a short ride cycle (load, post load / pre launch, launch / ride, final scene / pre-disembark, disembark) you would have enough space to do it in. You could realistically probably launch a train every 40 or so seconds with a shorter ride, which would give you a capacity of 1800, and you could probably extend the train by a car or two, giving the ride a 2000+ capacity figure.

I
    The PM track is not a roller coaster track. They simply just couldn't design their own roller coaster cars and put them up there. If the Rocket Rods caused a great amount of wear and tear to the track, I can't imagine what a roller coaster train would do. It just wouldn't work well without major modifications, which leads to another problem. Even if the track could be modified to accomodate a roller coaster train, Disney still runs in to the problem of launching the coaster. Unless Disney invented their own way to launch a coaster, they would need to hire an outside company to do it for them, in which case, a new track would need to be built anyway.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I voted, and have voted various times before here on this board, that the PeopleMover be brought back in some form.

It was a nice, relaxing attraction with some fairly nice views of the park. It even gave you a glimpse of ATIS and later Star Tours, the old Character Shop and then SM.

You used to walk into Tomorrowland and see a lot of action, and various levels of movement. Today, it is my least favorite "land" by a large margin. I vote that they go "back" to the future - and make Tomorrowland what it once was, again.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• DL Nerd

I'm one of the few people that does not think a PM belongs in Tomorrowland anymore.

Nostalgia really has no place in "Tomorrowland"

What's the point of having the PM back?
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

No to the original PeopleMover coming back... something new should be put in it's place. Something from Meet the Robinsons or "hover crafts" flying through Tomorrowland. Everything that was tomorrow is today and now we need something really futuristic!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    I'm one of the few people that does not think a PM belongs in Tomorrowland anymore.

Nostalgia really has no place in "Tomorrowland"

What's the point of having the PM back?
    Where the old PM might be nostaliga, some new form of mass transit wouldnt be. Now, outside of SoCal, a lot of people use mass transit to get to places. They could make it sort of like a slower, more laid back L train like in Chicago. Just a thought...

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast