Creative pre-trip ideas needed!

We are taking our 8 year old Niece to Disneyland for the first time in May!

This is the idea:
    I want to provide her a pre-trip present that will help her get excited about the trip. Also I was hoping to get a little information from her so we can make the trip extra special (as if going to Disneyland is not special enough)!
    These are the thoughts:
    I was thinking about including a list of characters so she can check her most favorite so we will not miss them. I was going to make her a paper chain so she can count down the days. I plan to buy her some Mickey ears and an autograph book when I am down in March.

But I want some more ideas. Things that are fun and will increase the excitement.

This one time on Friends . . .

• =)

Re: Creative pre-trip ideas needed!

That's so great that you're taking the time to make the trip special for her. I can say from my own childhood experience that these sorts of things really do make it all the more magical. If you treat the whole thing like it's something special and fun and a privilege, she'll enjoy it all the more.

Getting her a disposable camera (unless she already has a digi) can be a fun and inexpensive way to allow her to capture memories in the park. In fact, they're even starting to sell disposable digital video cameras. You could try one of those if you want.

Just remember, the best gift of all for a day at Disneyland is low stress. While you're in the park, just go with the flow and treat every moment as a special treat, no matter where you are or what you're doing.

Have a great time!

• Princess of my own world

If you log onto the Disneyland website you can go through and make a list of things you want to do and see. It's a favorites list and she can work on that and then take it to the park with her. There are sometimes even small video clips of rides and stuff on there.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

Those are great ideas...

This is in the total other direction, but my memorable trip to Disneyland as a kid was when my parents didn't say ANYTHING about it. They spoke to my teachers before hand, and set up homework, and put my sister and I in the car on a random Tuesday like we were going to school.
    Only we kept driving, and got on the freeway. My sister and I were totally confused, and then finally we got on the 101 and my parents said, "Hey look, only 500 miles to Los Angeles, wanna go to Disneyland?"

Best trip of my life.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandPlanner View Post
    We are taking our 8 year old Niece to Disneyland for the first time in May!

This is the idea:
    I want to provide her a pre-trip present that will help her get excited about the trip. Also I was hoping to get a little information from her so we can make the trip extra special (as if going to Disneyland is not special enough)!
    These are the thoughts:
    I was thinking about including a list of characters so she can check her most favorite so we will not miss them. I was going to make her a paper chain so she can count down the days. I plan to buy her some Mickey ears and an autograph book when I am down in March.

But I want some more ideas. Things that are fun and will increase the excitement.
    Big Starpie Marker for the Disney Characters, Some Characters have big hands or paws
    cheap camera and let her take picture.
    Ask nice for ride in front Monorail.
    or Mark Twain Riverboat wheel house.
    do one of the characters meals.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• decorating

My fourth birthday, my parents gave me a certificate entitling me to a trip to Disneyland.
    (they wanted me to be old enough to enjoy it, never went before then)
    If not getting an autograph book there, get one beforehand shecan decorate

• "I Break Things"

I would recommend a map of the Jungle, if you are unable to get one please PM me.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

This is in the total other direction, but my memorable trip to Disneyland as a kid was when my parents didn't say ANYTHING about it. They spoke to my teachers before hand, and set up homework, and put my sister and I in the car on a random Tuesday like we were going to school. Only we kept driving, and got on the freeway. My sister and I were totally confused, and then finally we got on the 101 and my parents said, "Hey look, only 500 miles to Los Angeles, wanna go to Disneyland?"
    I always LOVED those trips! Being woken up at 6:30 in the morning, groggy, demanding to know why we'd been wrestled from our slumber, and then being casually asked if a trip to Disneyland sounded good...oh man, was that great. (That wasn't sarcasm!) Once it's established that Disneyland is an amazing thing, tactics like these can be great, too.

I wish we could surprise her with the trip, but since we are only the Aunt and Uncle it poses some logistic nightmares. But I will file that in the back of my brain for my own kids, someday!
    I love the idea of a disposable camera and decorating the autograph book.
    Thanks for all the great ideas, keep them coming!!

This one time on Friends . . .

• Waiting for the stork

I'll second or third the disposable Camera idea...we always do that with our kids, and it's allways a higlight....make a scrapbook or photo album together afterwords can be a ton of fun.

I have even talked a bunch of friends into doing that with their kids, and again, it's always a highlight and wonderful momento after.

plus it's so cool to litteraly see Disneyland through their eyes...what was important to them, what struck them as magical....
    procrastibating

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

See if you can track down the Disneyland Sing Along video. It's a little old, but introduces a ton of characters and songs, plus gives an overview of the park.
    A signature should go here.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Check out one of the sites that has lists of hidden mickeys. Then you'll have something to look out for, kinda like a scavenger hunt without having to carry all the stuff.

Have fun!