Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Disney Costume spotting

Today, my wife and I were in the Disneyland Resort area and spotted TWO cast members wearing their costumes OUTSIDE the park!? The first was eating with her family at Mimi's across the street from the park. Then, we went to the Walmart in Cerritos, and a lady in the Main Street costume was pushing a cart, doing a little shopping. My wife thinks I'm overreacting, but I just think this is ridiculous! We're talking about a place that is designed so that it is shut off from the outside world in an attempt to really make it feel magical inside the park. I'm sorry, but to see cast members walking around in their costumes, it really makes the charm wear off. I was so disappointed. Anybody else feel like I do? What places have YOU seen cast members in costume?

Matt

• Proud Monster Mommy!

Re: Disney Costume spotting

Castmembers are people too and occasionally need to meet with family, run errands etc. They are allowed to be in costume as long as their actions do not mar the Disney name.

I see my son everyday in his Critter Country or Fantasmic costume. Hasn't changed the magic for me! And when he had to change at his grandmother's house on Christmas before work, his cousins were absolutely tickled to see his costume!
    ~Gina

Mothers of teenagers know why some animals eat their young!

• Minion

The point is that they used to not be able to wear their costumes out of the park at all! I think they should go back to that way of doing things!!! I saw a girl eating with someone at IHOP last time we were there in her costume. It doesn't take away from the magic. But, I don't think it should be done. CM's may be people. But, DL is not just any place to work. It's a special place and should be treated that way!!

• Banned User

this is off topic , but.......the costumes that are made at the park for the cast members, are they available for purchase by guests, or are they made exclusively for cast members?? and the second question I have, other than a specialty shop, are there stores in(or around) the disneyland resort that I can find disney themed costumes for adults and kids?, or can they be special ordered??

Another one of these threads already? It hasn't been a month since the last one yet!

• Banned User

I've not seen this thread before, but, I have no issue with them leaving the DLR with their costumes. Like someone said, they are people too, and maybe they need to stop for dinner, or go to Target after work....no biggie, to me. It wouldn't ruin my magic either. I leave the bank a lot of the time wearing my name badge, and believe me, if I were misbehaving, and reported to management....I'd get in major hot water for not behaving as an employee of the bank should behave. If they don't misbehave while in costume....I figure it's not a big deal.

And, honestly, if you didn't know they worked at DLR, because we all go there so often, we KNOW the costumes....would the average non-DLR geek know that's what the costume is from? It's not like Mickey Mouse is sitting having waffles at IHOP!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Funny thing too, I saw two CMs at my work in full costume. From the looks of it, they were probably from the Riverbelle.

In my opinion, I try not to wear my costume outside of DL, only unless I am getting gas or after work. I on;y do it if I have no change of clothes. Lots of CMs where their costumes after work to Denny's.

• Minion

Technically you are not supposed to be in your costume while eating at a restaurant or shopping. Disney lets Cast Members wear costumes home so its easier for them to get to work.
    Jeff Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
    The point is that they used to not be able to wear their costumes out of the park at all! I think they should go back to that way of doing things!!! I saw a girl eating with someone at IHOP last time we were there in her costume. It doesn't take away from the magic. But, I don't think it should be done. CM's may be people. But, DL is not just any place to work. It's a special place and should be treated that way!!
    I agree, but there's just no way that's going to happen. Disneyland has already done the damage by allowing CM's to take their costumes home in the first place. In order to reverse this decision, they would have to allocate space to provide permanent lockers for every CM again as it was pre-DCA.

At this point, I think the only thing that DL can and should do is educate CM's on maintaining the integrity of the Disneyland show. That would include encouraging them to change into street clothes before running errands. Of course, DL wouldn't be able to enforce this, but they could likely minimize the number of costumes being worn at places like stores, restaurants and gas stations.

Personally, I hate to be seen off property with my DL costume on. It draws unnecessary attention and lowers the integrity of the DL show. Therefore, I always change or completely cover up my costume if I will be stopping somewhere on my way home. Even if I'm not stopping anywhere, I usually change into a different shirt or put on a jacket before I get into my car.

Back in the '90s, taking your costume off property was grounds for termination. These days, it's just out of control.
    Last edited by Code90; 12-27-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Additional info

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus1981 View Post
    Today, my wife and I were in the Disneyland Resort area and spotted TWO cast members wearing their costumes OUTSIDE the park!? The first was eating with her family at Mimi's across the street from the park. Then, we went to the Walmart in Cerritos, and a lady in the Main Street costume was pushing a cart, doing a little shopping. My wife thinks I'm overreacting, but I just think this is ridiculous! We're talking about a place that is designed so that it is shut off from the outside world in an attempt to really make it feel magical inside the park. I'm sorry, but to see cast members walking around in their costumes, it really makes the charm wear off. I was so disappointed. Anybody else feel like I do? What places have YOU seen cast members in costume?

Matt
    Oh, the horror, the horror.

When they pay to take the time to change clothes at the park each and every time and provide large enough facilities to accommodate the number of Cast Members that would be changing at the same time (especially park opening and closing) and make it logistically possible for Cast Members to get their costumes in large numbers at the same time then I'll think about the delicate sensitivities that are being disrupted by seeing human beings in their costumes out in the real world - where we have to live sometimes.

Disney doesn't want to have to deal with all those requirements, financially and logistically, to make it practical for all CM's to wear their costumes only on-property anymore with the great(er) numbers of Cast Members there now are in the Resort.

So people will just need to get over it, or maybe seek a Greek or Shakespearean solution.
    Last edited by JeffYardDog; 12-27-2007 at 01:55 AM.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

I dont see it as a problem at all. Yeah, it would be cool to have things the way they were, when CMs couldnt wear their costumes outside the park...but any chance i get to snag a photo of a CM costume is OK by me. I need the reference shots if I'm gonna make my own and yes...CMs ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!! SUPPORT THE CMs!!!! YEAH!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

I think I responded to this topic before, but I'll give er' a go again...

I already leave my house 2 hours early to help combat the freeway traffic, find parking at Klot and then allow 30+ minutes for the shuttle. If I had to go to costuming on top of all that, I might as well live in klot!

The costumes are absolutely ridiculous. The sizes are completely off. One size 10 may fit perfectly, while another size 10 is either way too big or way too small, that is IF and only if they have your size in stock. They run out of jackets quite often, as well as out of sizes. Beyond that, when you get a pair that does fit, there is a great chance that it will be damaged in some way. I just went to check out a pair and after trying on 3 separate pairs of pants that were all supposedly the same size, I came across one pair that was true to its fit...thought I was in luck, headed to my attraction and noticed the giant tear in one of the legs.

Anyhow...besides the fact that visiting costuming is a horrid adventure in itself, I really don't want to have to add 30-40 more minutes on to my commute in order to get to work, check out a costume and change.

That all being said, CM's are allowed to wear their costumes home at this time, as we are all aware. We are also allowed to complete small errands, so your CM that was shopping at WalMart was not in violation of company policy. Your CM that was dining at IHOP, however, was. It's unfortunate that the privilidge gets abused, I'm not going to say that I am not guilty of it, but in the long run it is much more efficient for CM's to be allowed to take costumes home.

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

• Cast Member

This topic again?

Unless the policy changes to pre-DCA standards, it is what it is.

My only irritation is that if a CM is going to wear their costume outside of work, at least take off your DARN nametag. I know noboby is perfect, but nothing looks dumber than wearing that out of DL. Or for that matter anyone that wears a nametag from whatever place they work when they're not at their work.

But to chime in some more, as commented early it's also true that most people don't notice at all what the costume is except for people that are hardcore DL fans, such as on here.

On another note, if you see someone eating in a costume, just remember, it's only a costume, try not to get too wrapped up about that. The CM inside the costume is what makes the costume the costume. If they're acting like a jerk or worse, then they truly are misrepresenting the costume and company.

And to reply about the costumes being made for guests? No, of course they don't. Why in the world would they do that? You want a CM costume, become one.

There are already enough issues about regular guests getting old costumes off of Ebay.

You want a non-CM Disney costume, disneyshopping.com.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by kriskitty22 View Post
    We are also allowed to complete small errands, so your CM that was shopping at WalMart was not in violation of company policy. Your CM that was dining at IHOP, however, was. It's unfortunate that the privilidge gets abused, I'm not going to say that I am not guilty of it, but in the long run it is much more efficient for CM's to be allowed to take costumes home.
    I wouldn't consider shopping at Wal-Mart pushing a shopping cart a small errand. I think stopping for gas or grabbing one or two items would be acceptable though. I'm pretty sure I've weighed in on this before.

• Disneyland is your land.

Should a CM be allowed to wear their costume outside of Disneyland? Of course, however, why would someone want to? Obviously these two CM's were either just grabbing some groceries or grabbing a bite to eat with their family before or just after their shift. Trust me our costumes definitely don't make a fashion statement and thus we will only wear them outside of the resort if we have to.

Some of us (wait, many of us) commute and it is easier to already be in costume ready to go. Our wonderful luxury buses don't help matters either in the time department. It is simply easier for a Cast Member in the year 2007 (2008 soon!) to have the ability to take their costume home or leave the resort with it still on.

Does it ruin the magic? I'd bet I couldn't find more than 25 Guests during the day that really care all that much about the concept of a Cast Member wearing their costume outside of work. If it ruins the magic for you than it is what it is. Somewhere deep down it feels awful to know that even after 11,000 CM's are bustin' their butts each and every day someone's magical moment at Disneyland can be ruined by something as little as seeing a non-working CM in costume outside of Disney...
    Class of 2005...

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast