Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

The Art of Illusion & The Magic of Show

I have thought about this for a while now. The recent Lincoln thread made me decide to finally post it. One of the things I hate about Disneyland are the underutilized theaters. I HATE having the same show play 10 times in a day. One of the reasons is that you can never have the same show. Something will always be different. The cast may have more energy, or less. The crowd may be really into it, or just pausing as they pass by. I realize it is convenient for those who don't make the first, or second showing... but I long for more variety. Here are a few examples

Aladdin's Oasis- Currently it is themed specifically to Aladdin, why? It would be simple to give it a generic Jungle theme. You could expand on the Adventureland concept. Have a Tarzan show, a Baloo dance contest, keep Aladdin, and still have room for a smaller Adventurer's Club. It could be either alternating days, or simply alternating times... most importantly it would not require an extended cast or new costumes. The "cost" would be the initial remodel of the place, but it is already a stage, already wired for sound as well as lights.

Golden Horseshoe & Laughing Stock- I enjoy them, don't get me wrong, but what about adding more then just Woody and Laughing Stock. Why not toss in some of the classic Tall Tales, add Pecos Bill... how about a Mariachi band, a cowboy band, and the fiddler... all at different times. If you wanted to be really creative open up Festival to a Wild West Show.

Fantasyland Theater- Talk about under-utilized. Kids LOVE the meet&greet but hardly anyone bothers with the show. You have SO many stories there. The obvious classics about the princesses, but also Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood... this would be a chance to tell a different tale in each show. Imagine the coronation ceremony of King (name that kid) who pulled a sword from the stone. I know they have the one in Fantasyland... but this would be so much better. Have the kids help re-enact the famous archery contest of Robin Hood. Fantasyland Theater was built for a full show... how about giving them several.

Tomorrowland Terrace- I LOVE Jedi training, but what about tossing in something with Buzz, possibly a crazy alien scientific experiment with Stitch. This is a lot more tricky because of the logistics of the "theater" BUT in the most classic sense a theater is simply a space to entertain... so it can be done

Opera House- Here... here is where this whole thing started and where I will end. I am an admirer of Lincoln but one who believes he should not return. This is turn of the century 1900's America. It was full of inventions, the magic of the movie palaces, the art of Houdini's illusions, and the laughter of Vaudeville. I can think of no better house, then the Opera House. You could run traditional magic shows and place the Magic shop at the exit, show off turn of the century inventions in the lobby, have a Vaudeville show, and even play the classic "rubber annimation" shorts between shows... This would heighten the mood and excitement of the era, enhance the theme, and free up valuable Main Street store space.

Just a couple musings to ponder and discuss.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Re: The Art of Illusion & The Magic of Show

I agree 100% a lot of that would not cost a lot to implement nor would it impact the area it was in with construction...

I think it would add a lot to each area!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Variety! Has 2 meanings, more options and variety shows! Good ideas Skip!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

They used to do this a little bit back in the old days. For example the circlevision theatre at one point alternated between American Journeys and Visions of China during the same day.

• I'm not really here

I think this is a wonderful idea that would keep these areas fresh and new and continually draw crowds to the "theater" areas. And you are right, it would definitely not be very expensive. Just general "area" specific theming.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

What you're forgetting is the costs incurred by having several different crews/cast for several different shows.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    What you're forgetting is the costs incurred by having several different crews/cast for several different shows.
    The majority of the shows could run with the same cast, the costs would be in retrofitting certain locations, and specialized talent like a band, or magician, or stunt show...

• "I Break Things"

I was thinking about this a little more. One of the things I would LOVE to see is a classic magic show. These days everything is about the flash, some random exotic animal, an overdress magician and an underdressed showgirl. Whatever happened to classic escape tricks? I know the masked magician showed the majority of the world how it's done... but it was still fun to watch. This would totally inspire kids, bring in the crowds, and build up the magic shop sales... then you toss in classic Vaudeville for some comedy, and add the movie shorts in between... I like Lincoln, don't get me wrong, but I would rather have a dedicated house of showmanship.

I would also love to see some of those old inventions... it would also be a good spot to toss in the old arcade machines, really put them in context!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I was thinking about this a little more. One of the things I would LOVE to see is a classic magic show. These days everything is about the flash, some random exotic animal, an overdress magician and an underdressed showgirl. Whatever happened to classic escape tricks? I know the masked magician showed the majority of the world how it's done... but it was still fun to watch. This would totally inspire kids, bring in the crowds, and build up the magic shop sales... then you toss in classic Vaudeville for some comedy, and add the movie shorts in between... I like Lincoln, don't get me wrong, but I would rather have a dedicated house of showmanship.

I would also love to see some of those old inventions... it would also be a good spot to toss in the old arcade machines, really put them in context!
    Adding to that. Why not a stagecoach in Frontierland with a magician selling snake oil. That area needs little perks for sure.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Tomorrowland Terrace- I LOVE Jedi training, but what about tossing in something with Buzz, possibly a crazy alien scientific experiment with Stitch. This is a lot more tricky because of the logistics of the "theater" BUT in the most classic sense a theater is simply a space to entertain... so it can be done
    That's what was done before the Jedi Training Academy. I heard it was horrible, but never saw myself.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    That's what was done before the Jedi Training Academy. I heard it was horrible, but never saw myself.
    My point is that Disney has built a gigantic talent pool of memorable movies and characters that it can tap into... they have everything they could ever want for several great shows... why do one continuous show over and over.

I also realized I forgot Critter- easy enough, we have Pocohantus, Fox and Hound, Brother Bear, Country Bear Jamboree... there is just as much potential there as anywhere else. The difference being that they would need to build a stage.

NOS is by far the greatest example of variety, you have street performers tap dancing, playing music, singing, I actually wish they would add a mime and some juggling as well... they have this variety all in one area. Granted they to have specific show times, but it is not the exact same tired show over, and over, and over, and over...

These things have bothered me ever since Princess Fantasy Fair opened........... SERIOUSLY DISNEY?!?!?! That is SUCH a waste of a theater. I love that theater: 1, because its outside 2, because the Out doors look from Snow white with all the trees and scenery 3, It has a great FANTASY feel to it, but NO. They had to put a character meet and greet & a few little mini shows..... i wish they would have keeped Snow White, i LOVED that show. So if anyone wants to answer this, Why cant they put in an ACTUAL theater type show into this fabulous theater? This may be sad (lol) but i feel sorry for this theater, like its hurting for a NEW great show ^^.

• Old Timer

While I agree that it would be wonderful to have more variety and make more use of the theater space at Disneyland, I think that you may be underestimating all that is needed to put on a show. Andy and Judy made it look easy. Even if the casts are overlapping there are still the props and stage settings that need to be created, maintained and set up for each performance. I'm sure that you are all tired of hearing about my Renaissance Faire experience, but the last thirty years have given me some insight into the difficulties of carrying off several shows a day. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that it's not as easy as it may appear.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

i wish they would have keeped Snow White, i LOVED that show
    when was this show? the last show i remember was that one about mickey being a dective. i think he was shearching for pluto, plus it had a bunch of cameo's from other disney charcters
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

Quote Originally Posted by thrax View Post
    when was this show? the last show i remember was that one about mickey being a dective. i think he was shearching for pluto, plus it had a bunch of cameo's from other disney charcters
    This show played in Fantasyland Theater from February 2004 - September 2006. It was a nice show (about 28 minutes long) with some kool stage effects thrown in( transforming witch, talking real life magic mirror, dwarf house that moved about the stage on its own, a castle that falls apart, but then picks itself back up and reforms ^^. Actualy some good singers( whenever I saw it). And just a great show for this Theater.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BSoOOolgbJ4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast