• Minion

How does Space Mountain affect the Park?

So I have a question for those of you who are able to go to the park quite frequently. How has the re-opening of Space affected the crowds at Disneyland, and at the other E-Tickets. I would think that having another big attraction up would suck some people up, therefore making the lines shorter for other rides. Or is it bringing in additional crowds, making the lines the same as they were before? Has BTMRR's line gone down, as roller coaster junkies now have another option to get their fix?

Also, it used to be that when the park opened, everybody would rush to the Adventureland/ Frontierland side of the park, as most of the big rides were there (Indy, Splash, BTMRR, HM, Pirates) Now that the TL side has Space back, are people rushing to TL first thing in the morning? Is the NOS area less crowded?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but as the only DL I know is the one with Space closed, I'm curious as to what affect it's re-openig has.

• out & about

Re: How does Space Mountain affect the Park?

Hmm... its hard to say. The days Ive been in the park early a lot of people have rushed to Space Mtn to get it in so they dont have to wait for hours later on. And I have seen the FastPass sell out rather early for the attraction.
    Does it thin out the rest of the park? I dont really think so. If anything ive noticed and definate influx of people in the Tomorrowland area but i wouldnt say the rest of the park is less crowded because of it. TL might just look overcrowded because of its less than user friendly design. i think the FastPass and outside queue for StarTours is in the way as well as the astro orbiter and the big gay gold rocks at the entrance and the outside queue for Buzz, i feel, is also poorly designed (come to think of it theres hardly any inside queue for buzz. what happens when it rains?). Plus the trees and theyre big dumb pots around what used to be cosmic waves makes the whole place feel small and cramped! So it seems like a lot more crowded than it actually is.
    S.M. might help shorten up the lines a little but whats 5 min at each of the other e-ticket atttractions? If anything it amounts to very little.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Basking in birthday love

For the record, I think it's been a really loooong time since I've seen BTMRR "crowded," which might have something to do with the accidents it experienced a while back.

I think it's the first step. Let's say with the opening (in this case, reopening) of an e-ticket, the lines for each of the other rides in the park is shaved by an average of four minutes. (You know, because I love making up numbers.) Then we get Nemo, another d- to e-ticket ride, which shaves off another three. Then something goes up on the PM track, cutting the average wait for each ride by another minute and a half. Then Rocket Jets v.2.0 return, and the average goes down another sixty seconds. So by the time you're halfway through the TL refurb, your wait for rides in the rest of the park has gone down by nearly ten minutes. Which may not seem like much, but say, for Haunted Mansion, I won't do a 35 minute wait, but I'll hop in line if it's 25. Replacements for HISTA and Innoventions and new destinations for Star Tours combined could take waits down another ten. And we haven't even moved on to the rest of the park yet.

Baby steps, my friend. It might take a lot of new attractions to balance out the crowds to the point where you really feel the difference, but the park sorely needs them. Space Mountain's return is absolutely a move in the right direction.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    For the record, I think it's been a really loooong time since I've seen BTMRR "crowded," which might have something to do with the accidents it experienced a while back.
    Not true, BTMRR's line was over an hour long when it reopened after the accident lol. It actually made it more popular. The reason why the attendance has died down is because it just is not thrilling enough compared to other coasters and now with Space open it takes more people away from it.

• Rock Star Minion

There will be a general, "I haven't been on that ride in two years" mentality, followed by a general, "the line's too long -- let's go on something else," mentality.
    I don't think more people are coming due solely to its opening. Perhaps some APs are coming more frequently, but that would be a small contingent of SM fanatics (not S&M fanatics, mind you).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I haven't gone on Space Mountain after it's "official" opening, but I did go on July 1st. All of the other ride wait times did not really exceed 30 minutes (except when Pirates broke down...then HM became 45. And excluding Splash Mountain, because it's summer and it's a water ride, no way around it).

Space has generated more people to come to Disneyland for sure, but it's eating them up well (from what I've seen).

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I've noticed since SM re-opened that a lot of the other lines in the park that would usually be much longer have shortened considerably. I haven't seen more than a 45 minute wait for Indy since the re-opening, which is kind of strange. I'd been used to seeing wait times of 100+ minutes!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Minion

I think it'll have a very wide affect. It's always better to get people into a queue and have them wait there then waiting in the walkways.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySavor
    I think it'll have a very wide affect. It's always better to get people into a queue and have them wait there then waiting in the walkways.
    Space Mountain has FastPass, doesn't it? Well, at least it's Tomorrowland that will get filled up.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Space has generated more people to come to Disneyland for sure, but it's eating them up well (from what I've seen).
    Yes! It's the anti-restaurant. Instead of people eating there, it eats you...

• Hooterville, USA

It can only help to take people back to TL.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

Space Mountain doesn't really get crowded in the morning, I was about a 75 minute wait for the first 2 hours the park was opened, but I got on it in 55, Splash still had a long line, I didn't go to Big Thunder Mountain, or Indy, but at 11:00 P.M., it had a 35 minute wait, During the day, Buzz was 45, Pirates Of The Carribean was 20, HM was '13', but it was really more like 20.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

I think it affects the park a lot, because the other big rides will have shorter waits as everyone will be trying out the newSpace...

When the buzz dies down though (probably like 6 months) things will settle down and Space will have no more effect than any other E Ticket.

• Minion

Space Mountain is simply awesome! It brings people in to the former ghost town of Tomorrowland, thus taking people away from the other various lands. In other words, to some degree it balances out the park.

• Rainicorn.

Through opening and maybe the half hour, the wait is only 5 minutes, but it progresses throughout the day to up to 90. I don't think it sucks up crowds, because by the mid to end of the day, a lot of people don't want to wait in line for SM even though it's "new". They decide to other rides. A lot of the traffic in TL is due to crowds going to and fro from SM.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --