Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• FastPass n00b

Trees around Cosmic Waves

There is something that's bugged me for a while now and I thought it would just be temporary but obviously that wasn't the case. Those trees that surround the old Cosmic Waves area are an eyesore and take up valuable space in a growing land, and they don't seem to serve any aethetic or practical function since they are too big to be subtle and too small to provide shade. Does anyone know why they are there? My original guess was that they covered up whatever couldn't be immediately removed from Cosmic Waves but they could've cleaned that up by now. I don't mind that big granite ball, although it wouldn't hurt to remove that too, but those trees are just out of place and they look so makeshift.

• Banned User

Re: Trees around Cosmic Waves

I say get rid of it entirely including that stupid ball. They need to make a nice fountain that goes there that people cannot walk in. It would be great if they could do something really cool with lights on the fountain.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

A fountain like the one at Epcot that shoots off fireworks every half hour would be very cool.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Wonderful World

I dont like the tree's either.Its Tommorowland not Gardenland
    I'm back MiceChat

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Cosmic Waves needs to finally be gone, ripped out. It's a silly waste of space and an eyesore.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Quote Originally Posted by painted windows
    I dont like the tree's either.Its Tommorowland not Gardenland
    Right, because there's no place for trees in the future.

• Where Schemes Come True!

Nope...no trees...because the future looks just like Coruscant (at least according to GL)
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

• What have I done?

Hmm some people have said they wanted fountains at the entrance to Tomorrowland. I say go with that idea and have a statue in the center there, except like a robot statue or something.

"This guy!"

• Gay Man

The trees are part of the lose "agrifuture" theming. They are Pomegranate trees and do bear fruit.

But, I wouldn't miss them of theywere gone.

• The one, the only...

I think that the trees stem from Michael Eisner. He thought that there were not enough trees in the Tomorrowland sections of the parks. He challenged Imagineers to think about "Montana of the future." Personally, I think it was a stupid idea.

Now I DO think that gardens fit the future. I remember the original entrance to Tomorrowland was a wave sea of bright colored flowers, usually yellow and blue. Then, they tried to plant "futuristic" or "alien" appearing trees, a lot of palms as I remember in the 1967 TL.

I think that these trees are neither interesting to see or shade giving. They need to go.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Minion

The way I look at those trees ... it's just a temporary fix till they have a clue of what to do with the remnants of Cosmic Waves .. for Tomorrowland's LONG TERM.

They don't look right. They clutter up the area .. they make it hard to maneauver around Tomorrowland. On the day of the 17th .. the whole land was series of queues .. just to walk around. And Cosmic PLANTER was not helping the situation at all.

DL is in the peek right now .. in the middle of the busy summer season. It's hard to get around.

More water features for this area? No. The whole reason they shut it down was it was turning Tomorrowland into one giant outdoor bathroom with kids prancing around in their underwear as if Disneyland was a water park. Plus the chlorinated water was doing things that makes the mermaid situation between 1959 to the mid 60s look like nothing. Water features, that involve people .. in the long term just don't work.

The granite ball .. the trees will need to take a hike.

But until they do remove the ball ... it seems those obstructive tree planters will stay.

The "1998: Imagination and Beyond" / Agrifuture theme was all part of the 1998 scheme .. which is slowly being taken out. Landscaping is essential. But at the cost of bottlenecks? No.

• now on the mainland

I believe they put trees around Cosmic Waves to keep people away from the giant granite ball. In 2000 when Cosmic Waves was somewhat functional some of the Security Officers said that kids kept trying to crawl on top if it, and it was a lawsuit waiting to happen. I personally never saw it, but I did hear that from more than one Security CM.
    In any case I agree with everyone else. The entire thing needs to go. It only clogs up space. Even when it did work it made no sense to me why you would pay (at that time) $43 a person just to have your kids run through the "sprinklers". I'm sure Matt and Greg have the good sense to eventually get rid of it, even if it means waiting till after the 50th is over.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I say get rid of it entirely including that stupid ball. They need to make a nice fountain that goes there that people cannot walk in. It would be great if they could do something really cool with lights on the fountain.
    That's actually a really good idea. Since people wouldn't be able to walk in it, they'd be able to do some really neat lighting effects at night and make it really fun to look at during the day. Or even a fountain at the entrance would be awesome too, whichever doesn't create a bottleneck.

I have definitely noticed more trees in Tomorrowland in planters everywhere throughout the land. I had no idea Eisner was behind it (it makes perfect sense though), but there are all kinds of big planters made exclusively for trees and it doesn't look natural for the area. The other areas of the park hide the planters really well to make the trees blend with their natural environment, but Tomorrowland just has too many big planters that stick out like a sore thumb.

• Minion

A. What did happen to the Mermaids after 1960? My dad always tells me about how cool that was. And... well, never mind.

B. I understand why they put the trees there, it was turning into the plaza of the Universal City Walk. I've no problem with interactive fountains, I've a problem with parents thinkin this is a place to bathe their kids. I'd rather we had people with enough sense to let cool things like this work instead of ruining it for everyone.

• Banned User

I would place water features at the entrance of tomorrowland but not to obstruct the path... think of it where the rocks are currenty.. then have it set up that it is a wide path to go where you want...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast