Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The Gallery is Coming Back

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    what they should do is turn the whole opera into an exhibit of Disneyland history. The whole preshow re-arranged to house more models and artwork of Disneylands history.

The theater turned into a beter attraction showcasing the evolution of audio animatronics.

Then remove the expanded hat shop at the exit and turn that large exit lobby into the Disney Gallery.
    I like that idea!

• Goofy

[quote=Skywaygrl;2442199]
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Do we have a source for this information?

quote]

I'm sorry I don't give out my sources unless the pay is good enough.

Hahah lol and yes you have to be rich enough too lol.

But thats great to hear that the gallery is coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    See the problem from Disney's stand point is that the gallery is not meant to be an exhibit, its meant to be a sales gallery. So I would assume that they are going to place it where they can best help achieve greater sales. Given these thoughts I doubt that the Gallery will ever get back to NOS.
    Where did you get this idea? The Disney Gallery has always been an attraction.

The Disney Gallery Collector's Room is the shop.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by piratepixy View Post

And I feel it's area above POTC in NOS was off the beaten path. If you wanted to peruse the collections and collectibles offered, you had to make an effort to do so. With it's Opera House location, although very close to Disneyana, it will definitely get more foot traffic. Which possibly leads to more sales. For me personally, it's more individuals to wade through to admire one thing, some things, I may one day purchase. Even so ... I'll be glad to see it return.
    Actually, it was above the beaten path.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    The end of next week like if my last day was friday, I might get to see it?? oh for joy!
    Possibly. If everything is on schedule..it should 'open' on Friday. How so quick? The whole setup just screams temporary. It's a safe bet that eventually Disney will make another gallery, and it will be somewhere else. Right now, there was a need to sell this art, and Disneyana simply cannot contain everything.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Love the fact the gallery is going to return... the only thing that would be better is if it was returning in its spot above POTC

• Resident Ghost

Imagine if people are trying to change in the suite...or fornicating...and they forget to shut the windows...that'll be an unforgettable vacation for some kids, haha.

• Animatronic

Hopefully not the sales part of the gallery. If so, it's another attraction being turned into a store. It's hard to get too excited about that.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    * The Gallery will be set up in the exit area of the Opera House, where the pictures of new attractions were placed.

*The gallery should be be completed by the end of the week

*The Gallery is not taking over the Opera House, nor is it any sign of kicking out the 50th exhibit nor bringing back Lincoln.

*It's probably not permanent. It's pretty much a guarantee that eventually a permanent location will be found elsewhere.

That explains why that obnoxious mural with all of the recent attractions and shows is now gone - I noticed this yesterday.

This sounds like a very small, temporary thing - similar, but much smaller than the Snow White exhibit at DCA. Sounds like at the Opera House they'll just be using existing wall space, as there isn't much room to bring in temporary walls like they did at the Disney Animation lobby at DCA.

I'm guessing this is for the upcoming Peter Pan 55th Anniversary merchandise release that will be happening in February? Are they just putting up the art early?? I suspect some Gallery merchandise will make an appearance - at the very least petite prints of some of the paintings for this event will be available in the Mad Hatter shop that added an overflow section in the Opera House exit lobby sometime last year.

That makes sense.. it's an odd location, but wherever they can get space, right?

Hopefully they'll start actively seeking a real location for a new Disney Gallery. Back in July, I made a short list of viable locations Disney can consider using if they wish -- http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ons-71903.html

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Is it too late to put the gallery back and lay out some sleeping bags for a family of lucky chumps in the opera house?
    Brilliant. Jay Rasulo....Are you reading this?

Slightly off topic question. After YOAMD ends, in about 36 months, will they sell the suite like a hotel room?
    End? You think YOAMD will END?
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 01-02-2008 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    The Opera House is an odd place for the Gallery, I think.
    There is some history to this however, which I mention briefly on my Club 33 web site. Back in the mid-80's when the Disney Gallery was first being conceived, its location was a toss-up between the Opera House and the 21 Royal apartments. There was a faction within the company that was lobbying for Club 33 expansion into 21 Royal at the time, and suggesting that the Gallery go into the Opera House. Obviously the group that wanted the Suite for the Disney Gallery won that time (thanks largely to a talented and dedicated gentleman named Van Romans).

So I guess you could say the Disney Gallery has a history of being earmarked for the Opera House, from long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Actually, before its removal, the Gallery had received record numbers of visitors and sales. [snip] Sales were not an issue in NOS.
    While the Gallery had nice sales spikes now and then due to special events or new exhibit openings (and its total closure)...this is contrary to everything I've ever heard from Merchandise and/or Ops people at Disneyland. My understanding is that overall...the Gallery never generated anywhere near the expected revenue for the company. Which is why its hours were always being cut and threats of closure were always looming over it.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Where did you get this idea? The Disney Gallery has always been an attraction.

The Disney Gallery Collector's Room is the shop.
    When the Disney Gallery opened, it was classified internally as both an Attraction and a Merchandise Location. It is my understanding that some years ago, someone removed the "attraction" designation, and it became classified internally as just a retail location (some speculate this was done by powers that wanted justification for closing the Gallery). I recall hearing about this and the concern of Disney Gallery boosters back when it happened (but don't recall the exact year).

Now whether it got its "attraction" status back later or not...I don't know. But certainly its execution was stayed by the various motion picture art tie-ins and promotions that took place up there...driven more by Marketing than anything else.

But it's my impression that the majority of management never thought the space performed well as either an attraction or as a retail shop.

Disneyland has had a long history of art galleries and art sales. Sometimes display only...sometimes both display and sales. And Main Street is no stranger to this. Not only has the Opera House housed Disney art sales before, but Disneyana was opened on Main Street long before the Disney Gallery existed. Sure...it didn't "display" much that wasn't for sale. But original and reproduction art from both films and theme parks, were sold there.

Even long before the Disney Gallery...the original Disney Gallery was up in Club 33! They used to display and sell Imagineering art up there in a gallery setting long before the Disney Gallery. From the 1967 Club 33 brochure:

Near its entrance will be a Club 33 highlight, a gallery setting for the display of original paintings. It is planned that this rotating exhibit will feature the original private works of artists from the Disney Studio and WED Enterprises. Many of these paintings will be available for purchase by Club members and their guests.
    The Opera House has often held exhibits on Disneyland history and art. Pre or Post-show...Pre and Post-Lincoln. I don't think it would effect Lincoln that much and there could even be a nice art segue-way if they did it right.

If this current rumor is true and it's going into Lincoln/50th Post-show...I would also venture a guess that it's just a temporary "Gallery Jr." location with perhaps something better to come.

And at least that wouldn't be how they handled fine art (including original animation cells) in the 1960's on Main Street:

Or in Tomorrowland:

Great information, Opus!

Thank you!
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• I may be nutz...but...

Slightly off topic question. After YOAMD ends, in about 36 months, will they sell the suite like a hotel room?
    Nope, Club 33 gets the space for expansion...Then you will only be able to go up to that space if you are an elite member of Club 33...
    susabelle

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    Brilliant. Jay Rasulo....Are you reading this?

End? You think YOAMD will END?
    Coming soon, Decade of a Million Dreams.

The only way to get rid of it may be to eliminate those responsible ...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    There is some history to this however, which I mention briefly on my Club 33 web site. Back in the mid-80's when the Disney Gallery was first being conceived, its location was a toss-up between the Opera House and the 21 Royal apartments. There was a faction within the company that was lobbying for Club 33 expansion into 21 Royal at the time, and suggesting that the Gallery go into the Opera House. Obviously the group that wanted the Suite for the Disney Gallery won that time (thanks largely to a talented and dedicated gentleman named Van Romans).

So I guess you could say the Disney Gallery has a history of being earmarked for the Opera House, from long ago.
    So, when are you opening Opusland on MiceAge >?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast