Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Napa Rose New Year's Eve Party 2008

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    Hmm, you have a valid point there regarding friendliness. But it still comes across as way too casual and unpolished to me, especially in these pictures of the staff. There's a way to act friendly and gracious, while still keeping an air of profesionalism and elegance. The pictures here of the Napa Rose staff don't look very elegant.

But then I have that issue with most of the staff at the Disneyland Resort hotels. They charge upper end Ritz Carlton prices, but you get mid-range Sheraton service. And very often that mid-range service isn't nearly as formal or profesional as it should be in many cases. New Years Eve at the Napa Rose looks to be a perfect example of that type of behavior and presentation.
    Just keep me away from the stuffy and "ultra-professional-(You don't fold your napkin that way, sir)" types and I'll be happy.

• Make it Cool

Ah, that helps explain it a bit. Thanks!

Still confirms my opinion of Napa Rose service overall though.
    Your "opinion"? Have you ever been? I have, and I was there last night too. I also know much of the staff, and while they are a good-natured fun-loving group, they also provide some of the best service I've had in any restaurant in the world.

And frankly, I'd rather have a staff that provides the level of service that they do provide without any of the pretense and snobbery you seem to crave.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Actually I think I've met you also. At the Chef's Bar one Saturday night a couple of years ago.

I have to say that I would rather have good service, good food and have a good time for my money.

The evening my husband and I were there we had a blast....with the two of you, the Chef and the rest of the staff also.

Hope to make the NYE Party next year, if time and money allows!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Minion

Hmm, you have a valid point there regarding friendliness. But it still comes across as way too casual and unpolished to me, especially in these pictures of the staff. There's a way to act friendly and gracious, while still keeping an air of profesionalism and elegance. The pictures here of the Napa Rose staff don't look very elegant.

But then I have that issue with most of the staff at the Disneyland Resort hotels. They charge upper end Ritz Carlton prices, but you get mid-range Sheraton service. And very often that mid-range service isn't nearly as formal or profesional as it should be in many cases. New Years Eve at the Napa Rose looks to be a perfect example of that type of behavior and presentation.
    So, I guess you won't be leaving a big tip ...

• Merrily on my way to

Thank you for the trip report. I really enjoyed it. The dessert looked like great fun and the picture of Michael Jordan in festive attire is wonderful!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wow what a nice time! And you look so familiar too! I feel like I've met or seen you before.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    I ROFLMAO'd at that above picture. The placement of a certain liquid makes me... AHAHD;AF;ASD;FAHFHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Read View Post
    Thank you for the trip report. I really enjoyed it. The dessert looked like great fun, and the picture of Michael Jordan in festive attire is wonderful!
    Yes, the dessert was great fun. I think even the kiddie plate had the same dessert...but even with only half the champage of the adult menu, it was a bit much for some. (You know I'm kidding; right?)
    Last edited by MagicKingdomBoy; 01-01-2008 at 10:20 PM.

• Make it Cool

That kid was at the table next to ours later that night...

Those pictures of the overly casual behavior of the employees make it look like you are at an employee birthday party at Coco's, instead of New Years Eve at an allegedly "fancy" restaurant that charged 185 dollars per person for their New Years Eve dinner like Napa Rose did.
    $185.00 actually isn't that expensive compared with what the Four Seasons and the Montage were charging New Year's Eve.

Yet, it is expensive for Disney.

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Wow what a nice time! And you look so familiar too! I feel like I've met or seen you before.

I ROFLMAO'd at that above picture. The placement of a certain liquid makes me... AHAHD;AF;ASD;FAHFHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
    And the look on his face of self satisfaction really add's to it..

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

I happened to be out and about walking the grounds of Grand Californian, and peeked in the window of Napa Rose that night.

Everybody looked to be having a good time. I saw some of the band and singers entertaining the crowd, in the lounge, at about 8:45 pm. It did look kind of inviting, and for a second I almost didn't want to go back to my room !

I don't think it was supposed to be black-tie formal. Did the invitation say black-tie ?

I have my own issues with Grand Californian....mainly at the front-desk. But "formality" isn't really one of them. I think of Grand Californian as a more laid back and casual place. Sort of a casual rustic country-type elegance.....as opposed to 17th century grandeur. And, to my way of thinking, most people let-loose on NYE. Even the staff? Well.......

Anyway, it looked quite fun from my brief peek into the lounge window that night.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I will have to keep Napa Rose in mind for next year! Was it a formal event? Did they specify? What kind of music was playing?

I, for one, love Napa Rose and I've always been pleased with dinner there. Who wouldn't be happy with good food, good wine, and good service?

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    I happened to be out and about walking the grounds of Grand Californian, and peeked in the window of Napa Rose that night.

Everybody looked to be having a good time. I saw some of the band and singers entertaining the crowd, in the lounge, at about 8:45 pm. It did look kind of inviting, and for a second I almost didn't want to go back to my room !

I don't think it was supposed to be black-tie formal. Did the invitation say black-tie?

I have my own issues with Grand Californian....mainly at the front-desk. But "formality" isn't really one of them. I think of Grand Californian as a more laid back and casual place. Sort of a casual rustic country-type elegance.....as opposed to 17th century grandeur. And, to my way of thinking, most people let-loose on NYE. Even the staff? Well.......

Anyway, it looked quite fun from my brief peek into the lounge window that night.
    It was a blast from start to finish. As for attire, it was not black tie. It was wear what you feel comfortable wearing and be yourself. It looked to me like people dressed how they normally do there, maybe with a little more flair. I never saw an invitation, since I was invited by a friend about four weeks prior to join him at his table; so I just showed up. I never asked if it was a private party, and until I got there, I just figured it was regular dinner at Napa Rose but on NYE. So I was very pleasantly surprised to find out we were having a big soiree.

The staff were working very hard in conjunction with the kitchen and were in a wonderfully festive mood, as they should be for NYE. After all, it was a NYE party at a Disneyland Resort restaurant, not a State dinner at the White House. From my experiences dining at Napa Rose, the team is very professional and concerned about making sure everything is right with the customer. And their style I think is a bit more congenial. You know, they go into detail about the day's bill of fare, and the runners enthusiastically announce and describe each dish when they bring it, etc. It's lots of fun.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I thought that post up there about the staff being too casual and charging Ritz Carlton prices with Sheraton service was kind of a cheap shot -- especially on NYE. Those were amateur pictures I took, not publicity photos. I'm in there most Saturdays for dinner, and that restaurant and those servers put out wonderful dining experiences, time and again. They're usually booked up, and people rave about it.

As for the band that played, they were playing at bit of everything. They have a regular soundtrack of music they normally play; so it was nice to hear a band playing there.

Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    And frankly, I'd rather have a staff that provides the level of service that they do provide without any of the pretense and snobbery you seem to crave.
    I think some folks here have misunderstood what I was getting at. I don't "crave" snobbery or pretense. In fact, that kind of attitude is annoying and I steer clear of it. That attitude is generally pulled by someone trying to over compensate for something or cover up a defect anyway.

I do crave profesionalism and polish however, especially at the price level the Grand and Napa Rose charges. There's a big difference between profesionalism-polish-poise and snobbery-pretense-snootiness. More and more I've noticed the Grand has seen their level of polish and profesionalism fall to the mid-range hotel level of your average Sheraton or airport Hilton. They let the details slip, and their presentation on a personal level is often not up to snuff.

The pictures of the casual, loose, jokey demeanor of the Napa Rose CM's on NYE are a good example. The bartender looks pretty squared away though; friendly, approachable, yet still profesional and with an air of gracious formality.

Someone here mentioned Montage, which is my FAVORITE hotel in OC. They've got the laid back SoCal thing going for sure, but they also have an impeccable level of profesionalism and polish to their service. The Montage is much more squared away than the GCH in my opinion. Ritz-Carlton Laguna and Lodge at Torrey Pines are two other SoCal hotels that charge in the GCH price range, but are clearly in a class above when it comes to service and profesionalism.

The St. Regis Laguna is a bit too pretentious and borderline euro-trashy for me, but that's another thread. I much prefer the more casual SoCal style and grace the Ritz, Montage or Torrey Pines offers.

I stopped eating at Napa Rose about two years ago. I wouldn't be opposed to going back sometime, but after one two many gaffes and dinners with boorish customers seated next to me, I kind of checked out of the Napa Rose scene. Now Studio at Montage, and even The Loft, there's an impeccable level of service and poise from the staff. (And a product from the kitchen that is flawless, of course.) Napa Rose is a bit unpolished around the edges, although I was always impressed with the food itself.

It's just that the jokey pictures of the wait staff on NYE just kind of reminded me of the odd "scene" at the Grand Californian. But if the OP is personal friends with the staff, and had a good time on New Years, then more power to 'em!
    Last edited by TP2000; 01-02-2008 at 04:48 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Great pictures and report. If the rest of the food looked half as good as your dessert you are one lucky guy!! Glad you had fun and shared your adventure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast