Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The next time you visit Disneyland you may want to consider buying the Dasani

Read this lovely article in today's Los Angeles Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ck=1&cset=true

The next time you are hot and tired and longing for a cool drink of water, instead of heading for that water fountain or the spigot over at the French Market or Tomorrowland Terrace, you may want to consider splurging some 2-plus dollars and buying a bottle of Dasani which thankfully is bottled in Los Angeles and is not effected by this.

I hope Disney doesn't find out -- any excuse to charge even more for their bottled water!

• Goofy

Re: The next time you visit Disneyland you may want to consider buying the Dasani

I hope they don't get any ideas about this lol.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Re: The next time you visit Disneyland you may want to consider buying the Dasani

I've seen a kid use the drinking fountain near the exit of Indiana Jones as a urinal, so I don't need any incentive to steer away from the fountains.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• potterday.org

I am unable to access the story. Could someone be a good and cut and paste it?
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Technological Alchemist

I usually bring my own Kangen water to the Park. I prefer not to drink the water they provide. I never use the urinals fountains. If I do have to drink Park water I will only get water in cups from the restaurants, if I don't have my own with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Necrosis View Post
    I am unable to access the story. Could someone be a good and cut and paste it?
    Ye come seeking adventure in salty old pirates? Willing to share I be...

O.C. sewage will soon be drinking water
    A $490-million plant will clean effluent to state standards, then inject it into the groundwater basin for further filtration.

By Dan Weikel, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    January 2, 2008

As a hedge against water shortages and population growth, Orange County has begun operating the world's largest, most modern reclamation plant -- a facility that can turn 70 million gallons of treated sewage into drinking water every day.

The new purification system at the Orange County Water District headquarters in Fountain Valley cost about $490 million and comprises a labyrinth of pipes, filters, holding tanks and pumps across 20 acres.

Almost four years after construction began, the facility is now purifying effluent from a neighboring sewage treatment plant run by the Orange County Sanitation District, a partner in the venture.

The finished product will be injected into the county's vast groundwater basin to combat saltwater intrusion and supplement drinking water supplies for 2.3 million people in coastal, central and northern Orange County.

But before that can be done, state health officials must certify that the reclaimed water meets drinking water standards. Officials expect the approval to be granted before opening ceremonies Jan. 25.

"Our sources from the delta and the Colorado River are becoming unavailable," said Michael R. Markus, general manager of the water district. "This will help drought-proof the region and give us a locally controlled source of water."

Last month, for example, a federal judge in Fresno ordered a 30% reduction in fresh water pumped from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta to protect the tiny delta smelt, a threatened species. The region, which is facing myriad environmental problems, is the hub of California's water system.

If the reclamation plant's full potential is realized, officials say, up to 130 million gallons a day could be added to the county's fresh water supply, lessening the region's dependence on outside sources.

Basically, the facility takes treated sewage, which would have been discharged into the sea, and runs it through an advanced filtration system.

Officials say the final product is as clean as distilled water and so pure that lime has to be added to it to keep it from leaching minerals out of concrete pipes, thus weakening them.

The effluent is first pumped into the reclamation plant from the sanitation district's sewage treatment facility next door. The brackish water, which smells of deodorizer, flows into 26 holding basins equipped with 270 million micro-filters -- thin straws of porous material with holes no bigger than three-hundredths the thickness of a human hair.

From there, the water is forced under high pressure through a series of thin plastic membranes housed in rows of white cylinders. Next, it is dosed with hydrogen peroxide and bombarded with ultraviolet light to neutralize any remaining contaminants.

At this point, the water is free of bacteria, viruses, carcinogens, hormones, chemicals, toxic heavy metals, fertilizers, pesticides and dissolved pharmaceuticals.

Though it is good enough to drink, the scrubbing isn't finished. Once the state approves, up to 70 million gallons of treated water a day will be pumped into the county's giant underground aquifer. It will be cleansed further as it percolates through the earth to depths up to 1,000 feet.

"This is as advanced a reclamation system as you are going to get right now," said Krista Clark, director of regulatory affairs for the Assn. of California Water Agencies, a nonprofit organization that represents 450 government authorities. "It will keep Orange County's groundwater basin reliable and produce super-quality drinking water in the future."

At $550 per acre-foot, the recycled water is slightly more expensive than supplies brought in from Northern California. But water district officials predict that the cost of the treated water will become more competitive as the price of imported water rises.

Officials say the reclamation process uses less electricity than moving the same amount of water to Orange County through the state's system of aqueducts. The California State Water Project consumes about a fifth of the energy used in the state.

The reclamation plant also will dramatically reduce the volume of treated sewage discharged daily off the Orange County coast. The sanitation district now releases about 240 million gallons a day through its ocean outfall -- an amount that could be cut by more than half given the potential of water recycling.

If so, the county might not have to build a new $300-million ocean outfall, said James M. Ferryman, chairman of the sanitation district board of directors.

Sanitation and water district officials hope the new plant will become a model for governments trying to cope with water shortages, drought and the increasing demands of growing populations.

Projects similar to Orange County's are under study in San Diego, San Jose, Texas, Florida, Australia and Singapore. Recently, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power began reconsidering plans to recycle waste water.

More than a decade ago, Los Angeles built a small reclamation system in the eastern San Fernando Valley. The $55-million plant was closed in 2000 because of the public's distaste over the so-called toilet-to-tap process.

"Cheap political shots have closed some of these efforts," said Connor Everts, executive director of the Southern California Watershed Alliance, an environmental group based in Santa Monica. "All of Southern California should be doing these projects. They represent an efficient use of local resources. They are cost-effective and one of the most environmentally friendly things you can do."

In Orange County, water reclamation has not faced much opposition thanks to public awareness and the water district's extensive marketing campaign: plant tours, neighborhood pizza parties and hundreds of public meetings to explain the process.

The outreach effort has resulted in endorsements from scores of elected officials as well as civic, community and environmental organizations.

Public acceptance was also helped by the fact that since 1976 the county has been pumping about 15 million gallons of reclaimed sewer water a day into the groundwater basin to protect it from saltwater intrusion.

For decades, the aquifer has been plagued by saltwater that flows in as fresh water is pumped out of underground reservoirs along the coast. The condition can be checked and reduced by injecting treated water back into the ground to act as a shield.

District officials estimate that 90% of the treated water from the district's old reclamation plant -- Water Factory 21 -- has made it into the county's drinking water supply without a risk to public health.

"We are really just helping ourselves," Ferryman said. "Communities are waking up, especially those in semiarid regions. They are beginning to realize that you need reliability in your water supplies."

• no flash photography...

I always bring my own water or buy the dasani. However, where is the dasani bottled, because it is just filtered tap water anyway.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I always bring my own water or buy the dasani. However, where is the dasani bottled, because it is just filtered tap water anyway.
    The Dasani water sold at Disneyland is bottled out of the Coca-Cola bottling plant in either Downey or Los Angeles. There is a code printed on the bottle. If the code starts with DD it was bottled in Downey and if it starts with an LL (or LA -- I can't remember) it was bottled in Los Angeles.

Either way it is just filtered Los Angeles tap water. However this water is not reclaimed sewage -- Orange County's water supply is handled by a different water district and comes from a different source different from Los Angeles water.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Dasani is bottled in Atlanta, GA. I happen to have a bottle right here. (Guess where it came from? )

the code starts with DEC
    - sorry DisneyIP... posted the same time as you
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 01-02-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Dasani is bottled in Atlanta, GA. I happen to have a bottle right here. (Guess where it came from? )
    You could be right. I have a friend who works for Coca-Cola and the coding I mentioned is for their Coke and Diet Coke products. It was awhile since I last talked to him about it so I could be assuming that he also said the water is bottled in the LA area too.

As to where it came from...

Maybe we should all by sodas instead!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    You could be right. I have a friend who works for Coca-Cola and the coding I mentioned is for their Coke and Diet Coke products. It was awhile since I last talked to him about it so I could be assuming that he also said the water is bottled in the LA area too.

As to where it came from...

All Coca-Cola products are bottled under license of the Coca-Cola Company Atlanta GA. However they are all bottled locally. It would not make any sense to bottle in GA and ship reverse osmosis filtered tap water across the country.

• Rarely has a point

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Buy Beer, it was created becuase of nasty water.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MHatter469 View Post
    All Coca-Cola products are bottled under license of the Coca-Cola Company Atlanta GA. However they are all bottled locally. It would not make any sense to bottle in GA and ship reverse osmosis filtered tap water across the country.
    Ah... now that does make sense!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
    • Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    Buy Beer, it was created becuase of nasty water.
    But then you would have to go to DCA and that might just be worse than drinking regurgitated sewer water.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Rarely has a point

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    But then you would have to go to DCA and that might just be worse than drinking regurgitated sewer water.
    Touche

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast