Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Deferred Maintenance or Christmas Crowds?

When I took my annual trip to the park on Thursday, I noticed a lot of problems that may or may not be the result of the heavy Christmas crowds taking their toll on the parks. But there were some other problematic things that were not the results of crowd destruction.

First off, I noticed a large amount of light bulbs out on Main Street and especially in Paradise Pier. Do they EVER replace the light bulbs that line Ariel's Grotto? There were more burned out than the amount actually on. And on Main Street, I noticed a lot of burned out bulbs on the train station and quite a few other areas. It was the most light bulbs I have seen burned out in years.

Another big problem I encountered was Space Mountain. DO THEY EVER CLEAN THE QUEUE!!!??? There were big patches of paint missing or sloppy slabs of mis-matching paint patches. Also, there were huge clumps of dust that lined the queue all the way down to the loading station. It was almost as if they hadn't vacuumed or swept the queue since 2005. The screens over the tvs were also coated in dust and it clearly distorted the view of the monitors. It doesn't look like they have cleaned the queue since 2005 and I was extremely disappointed. At the end of the ride, the steps while exiting the ride were in terrible shape. Most of them were missing the rubber/ vinyl lining and were again coated with large dust balls. I won't even explain the loud squeal of the cars on the track.

Thirdly was the dilapidated state of Star Tours. That ride is in such dire need of a thorough refurbishment it is ridiculous. Again, the queue looked like it hadn't been cleaned or dusted in years.

There were a lot of handrails and painted areas that needed to be painted over. I hope they see to it after the crowds leave. The Matterhorn's handrails were some of the ones in need. For example, big patches of paint were missing from the air gate's wooden decorations.

So some of you may be thinking that I went to the park looking for problems, but I did not. These were things right out in plain sight that anyone could notice or encounter. I thought it was important to report some of these problems with the hope that things will get taken care of ASAP.

One last problem I encountered was actually noticed by my aunt who has not been to the park in years. She was, in her own words, "disenchanted" by the sloppy appearance of the Cast Member costumes. She saw quite a few young ladies with hair colors that were more than one unison color and others whose costumes, again in her words, were not "pressed well." That was her biggest disappointment. I explained to her some of the turnover problems they had and the cutbacks they have made in costuming that have created a decline in Cast Member appearances and standards. And again, this is someone who only goes to Disneyland every few years who noticed little details like this.

I just hope the park does not fully return to its relaxed maintenance standards of the 90's and that these problems will be addressed and that the management does not let things continue to slide. I have too much respect and love for the park that I hate to see things like burnt out light bulbs and peeling paint in plain sight for any visitor who is paying 65 dollars and upwards to enjoy a day at the parks. There is no excuse for it.

And I have to get this out of my system- will someone please spray down Space Mountain's white exterior!!!

Re: Deferred Maintenance or Christmas Crowds?

Keep in mind space mountain caters 15 thousand people a day. On windy days when the dust kicks up its like 15 thousand people walking through your house it gets bit dusty. The floors are cleaned ngihtly.

Space Mountain has looked shabby since the summer of 2006, I did complain back then about all of the issues brought up in this thread. Guests are spitting on the plastic lenses located on the back of the space ship, it looks very nasty. After I complained, someone from custodial did try to mop up the residue but upon my last visit a week ago, the back of the space ship was covered again. I also complained about the squeaking sounds of the wheels. I was told by the lead that the 2005 wheels have been replaced with better ones which make a terrible squeaking sound. Space Mountain should be touched up, cleaned and the spit taken care of each night, and the original wheels should go back on the trains, instead of using the cheaper wheel sets that squeak. I agree that Space Mountain has gone downhill recently.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I'm not being an apologist or a DOM, just a realist - I know what it takes to do the work, and some of it they just can't keep up with when running extended hours in the winter.

Cut them a little slack - This is the last week of the holiday hours, and they'll spend a week or two taking down all the decorations. If the weather dries up and they still don't have everything back up to snuff in three weeks, then you've got good reason to complain.

Closing at Midnight means they can't start work till after 1 AM, even later on Main Street or Esplanade or Tram Route. And the work areas have to be completely cleaned up and everything Backstage by 6:30 so they can open at 8 AM.

The light bulbs and the cleaning of general dust and trash, there's no good excuse. They can bring through a man-lift at night and go merrily changing bulbs - if there aren't any more pressing problems like dead circuits killing a whole string of lights. If they have limited staff and it's a choice of fixing broken stuff or changing bulbs, I guess the broken stuff wins. (And they need to increase staffing.)

The problems involving paint are excusable - you can't get a good coat of paint (especially outside) working overnight when it's cold and damp. They can't paint railings and walls unless that paint can be dry and hard by opening time, or it will rub right back off.

You can start painting right after close, cover a small area and set up IR heat lamps to cure it before morning - but you can only force-dry paint so much before it blisters. Or use a catalyzed paint like DuPont Imron® that will dry plenty fast, but is a nasty inhalation hazard to apply...

That's why they had painters working out in the park on weekdays in the fall, doing railings and posts behind portable barricades. Then the paint had the afternoon to dry, and overnight to harden.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

At least with this rain storm, Space's dome should get nice and clean.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

on the disney side i can say that the park is very big and only so much can be covered by the ONC...however on the guest side i can see how that can create a problem and become unsightly
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Minion

I have never been to DL during it's busiest week (you know the one that starts on Christmas), but I have been during summer and right before Christmas. Compared, to the Magic Kingdom, the park is perfectly maintained. Part of the ceiling (visible from the exit ramp) was missing from Small World at the MK. DL's mainteance should be much better (as good as TDR's), but the MK makes you really grateful for DL's mainteance.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaustx View Post
    Guests are spitting on the plastic lenses located on the back of the space ship, it looks very nasty.
    Disney needs to start cracking down on guests that spit on props. I am sick of guests being so rude and inconsiderate. If it was up to me, these guests would have to sit through the MK's trio of terror (Monster Inc Laugh Floor, Tiki Room Under New Management, and Stitch) for every occurance of defacing property. Inconsiderate guests should be punished and punished severly.

• The line's too long...

Uh, alright, I'll ask, what would possess anyone to spit on a prop? What's the deal?

• Rather Be At Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Thirdly was the dilapidated state of Star Tours. That ride is in such dire need of a thorough refurbishment it is ridiculous. Again, the queue looked like it hadn't been cleaned or dusted in years.
    Actually, the ride will be getting a huge update and make-over. They're actually advertising this in the queue. If you look up at the big screen, that it advertising the Star Tours to Endor there was a banner that played across the bottom that read something to the effect of "Endor is not the end! Soon Star Tours will be offering new destinations across the galaxy!".

Astonishing.

I for one think that the hard working men and women that are there while we're all nice and warm in our beds do a wonderful job. Further more, I've always been of the opinion that DL has always done a tremendous job keeping the parks maintained and clean.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    Keep in mind space mountain caters 15 thousand people a day. On windy days when the dust kicks up its like 15 thousand people walking through your house it gets bit dusty. The floors are cleaned ngihtly.
    I know, I know, it is difficult, but they should at least have the custodial doing some type of work during the day.

But as some of you have stated, I should take a trip out to Disney World to be grateful for Disneyland's wonderful upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRoyalty View Post
    Actually, the ride will be getting a huge update and make-over. They're actually advertising this in the queue. If you look up at the big screen, that it advertising the Star Tours to Endor there was a banner that played across the bottom that read something to the effect of "Endor is not the end! Soon Star Tours will be offering new destinations across the galaxy!".
    As it has been for the past 23 years.

• Rather Be At Disneyland

Oh shoot it has? Dang. I'm lame. I guess I just never noticed it until now.

• Disneyland is your land.

Just the other night I saw several men in a lift changing the lights on Main Street. Don't know when you visited but I think they are getting fixed again as I write this...

And Disney is ten times better at maintenance than many other parks. One visit to Magic Mountain or Knotts will have you appreciating Disney all over again and by the end of January or the beginning of February Disney will be caught up and things will look better.

As for Space Mountain. I really wish they'd just repaint the building...all of that dirt and grime has built up over the last two years and it really looks awful!
    Class of 2005...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast