Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Closed Account

Fred Gurley (Locomotive) Alive and Well!

Being since I will be covering the rebuilding of the Fred Gurley in future articles, I haven't said too much about it. But I just wanted to let folks know that on Friday, the engine and her new boiler were steamed up for the very first time in over a year. The steam-up was successful, and with two toots of the whistle, she once again came "alive."

Today, after another successful steam-up, the engine was deemed ready to move under her own power, which she did, running back and forth on the roundhouse lead tracks. The engine was as smooth as pie.

Official testing is set to begin soon!

• Thank you, that is all.

Re: Fred Gurley (Locomotive) Alive and Well!

Exciting news indeed for us train enthusiasts. Can't wait to hear more about! Thanks!

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Yay!
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Huzzah!

How long do they plan to take to make sure it's ready to return to 'revenue service'?

I'd suppose if they go take several laps around the park without incident unloaded one day, then another day or two taking laps with a train consist full of sandbags, they could have it in service by the end of the week. If they find odd problems that need repair, it would take longer.

Just had a thought - Do any of the DLRR engines have functioning and usable sand domes and sand pipes? It does get below freezing in Anaheim occasionally, and there are sprinklers in the landscaping that could spray the rails...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Koubu Pilot

That's great news. It's amazing how well those older engines (Nos 3,4, and 5) run when they are maintained and taken care of. I don't think the manufacturers or original owners ever could have imagined where these train engines would end up in the 20th and 21st centuries (or even be around or being in working condition).

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    That's great news. It's amazing how well those older engines (Nos 3,4, and 5) run when they are maintained and taken care of. I don't think the manufacturers or original owners ever could have imagined where these train engines would end up in the 20th and 21st centuries (or even be around or being in working condition).
    It's amazing how long a machine can last when someone takes the time to fix it properly instead of the standard issue Disneyland Duct Tape.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Huzzah!

I'd suppose if they go take several laps around the park without incident unloaded one day, then another day or two taking laps with a train consist full of sandbags, they could have it in service by the end of the week. If they find odd problems that need repair, it would take longer.

Just had a thought - Do any of the DLRR engines have functioning and usable sand domes and sand pipes? It does get below freezing in Anaheim occasionally, and there are sprinklers in the landscaping that could spray the rails...
    When they tested the Ward Kimball locomotive, They coupled two train sets, both empty, to simulate one full train. That would be a lot of sand bags to load if they used them!

All the engines have operating sand domes and pipes. A good Engineer tends not to use them a lot though, since there are other tricks the engineer can use to get the train going without the use of sand.

I'd love to have seen 5 with two sets on it.

• Closed Account

How long do they plan to take to make sure it's ready to return to 'revenue service'?

Your supposition is pretty accurate (except as Nautilus noted, two sets of cars are coupled together to simulate a full load. I sure wouldn't want to be the shlub that has to load 300 150-pound sand bags into a train!). The testing should take between 3 and 4 days.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 01-06-2008 at 10:36 AM.

• Closed Account

Just had a thought - Do any of the DLRR engines have functioning and usable sand domes and sand pipes?
    I can guarantee No. 5 has working sanders! I was lucky enough to help install the pneumatic lines that actuate the sand on the Kimball.

But yes, all the sand domes carry sand and work (there was a time they didn't, owing to lack of maintenance). All the sanders are air-operated from the cab. At some of the stations, you can see little piles of sand on the roadbed where the engines come to rest.

• I'm not really here

Welcome back Fred Gurley! The Disneyland trains truly are a testament to the importance of proper maintenance. Those locomotives are pretty old and they look as if they rolled out of the factory yesterday. I am so glad that they take the time and put in the effort necessary to keep them in absolute top form. Thanks for reporting on this Steve, though I doubt it is much of a chore for you.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    I don't think the manufacturers or original owners ever could have imagined where these train engines would end up in the 20th and 21st centuries (or even be around or being in working condition).
    So true. If you think about it, the Gurley is operating in her third century! (1800s, 1900s, 2000s).

Think your car will be operating in 114 years?

• insufferable know-it-all

But really, needing the sand is highly doubtful considering that the trains are running hot when they're outside and kept inside the nice warm roundhouse during most hours that freezing temps might come about.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Closed Account

Morrigoon, the sand is used to give the engines traction when they need a little extra "oomph."

Remember, we're talking about slick, shiny steel drive wheels running on slick, shiny steel rails, trying to get traction to pull eight cars and 300 people weighing many, many tons. If the rails are a little greasy, say, or even wet, they may have a hard time trying to start the train. The drive wheels will spin and spin.

A smart engineer, knowing that he may have a problem, will shoot a little sand onto the rails just before he comes to a stop at a station, so that the wheels may be sitting in a bit of sand. When he pulls the throttle to start again, he will have the little bit of extra grip he needs to start the train smoothly.

• I may be nutz...but...

I love to hear about the trains! Can't wait to read your article! You do such a great job with the Train articles! Yay!
    susabelle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast