Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Shubisha

R.I.P. Block Party Bash

Today was the day. Block Party Bash had its final performance at Disney's California Adventure. This bash was DCA's contribution to Disneyland's 50th anniversary and it's been entertaining guests for the last 2 years with its high-paced, high-energy performance. I don't think anyone could've expected this parade. Disney's had energetic melodies in parades before, has had showstops before, and has certainly had things like acrobats in them, but this just came out of left field and in my opinion was something unique and exciting that was perfect for the mostly dull DCA. It had many individual elements that people just like to diss on automatically, such as having pixar characters or using music from the 70s you'd hear at a wedding, but the fact is that many people loved it, kids in particular, it had a high production quality, and people had a very fun time watching it. It was simply an awesome experience that just got better with all of the high-flying trampolines, bouncing stilts, scooters, army men screaming at you pumping you up, dancers cart-wheeling, craning your head up to see them dancing up high on top of floats, the monsters inc. green army man spinning like all hell on his yellow wheel(you seriously had to see it), guests running up to dance along during it, souvenier nerf balls shooting out, and tons of little details from the performance to go home thinking about.

The rain had stayed away from Anaheim during this weekend somehow and most people got to do one last performance of block party last night fortunately. But tonight the rain held off until about 40 minutes before the show was going to start so they were forced to go into parade only mode. They packed the street and went as slow as they could along the route and everyone there watching screamed and clapped along from the sidelines. I think that after 2 years of doing shows for people it was somewhat special for the last night for the performers to just have a good time, dance, and party as they got paraded down the route. A couple were crying but most were smiling cheering and having their moment. It was almost like a victory lap parade to end it all.

The army men were very clear that it was the last performance, they didn't try to hide it and act normal like many last parades do. And around golden dreams another batch of performers jumped into the party, them being some of the original cast members still working at the resort that got to share in the occasion, not to mention the dozens of former and current cast members following along with the parade the entire time cheering and dancing through what was by then a decent rain coming down on everybody. When they got to gate at the end of the parade, the last float continued on and the green army man on it announced "Ladies and gentlemen, the pixar pals of Block Party Bash," as entire cast of pixar pals made their way past the float back outside the gate to flood the street one more time for one last loop dancing to "Celebrate." When it was all said and done the cast starting chucking the balls out into the crowd as they waved their final goodbyes and even as the gate closed once and for all balls kept flying over it back out to the crowd.

With the music over we made our way back out of DCA, it was pretty cool walking through the rain with the lagoon to our right and our energy still peaking from it. The park was completely empty and was mostly silent now as it usually is with the sun wheel spinning, the golden zephyr shut down, and a couple of screamin cars going by. It left me with a feeling while I walked of.. wow that actually just happened.. because it reminded me so much of the heavy contrast because of the fun block party brought to the park as opposed to the dullness and emptyiness that DCA normally is associated with.

It moves to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida now. I hope with the humidity and probably reduced choreography doesn't get too much in the way of the guests having a good time watching it. Best of luck to DCA on Pixar Play Parade. I'm glad DCA is sticking with the "old fashioned" method of switching out a parade after a year or two instead of trying to drag on something for 5 years like most WDW parades have become and Disneyland's started to do since Parade of the Stars and Parade of Dreams may end up getting close to.

If you'd like, here's a video from its run during the 50th anniversary, not mine, BlockPartyBash.zip. I hope some nice videos from tonight will surface, I didn't get to take any because anyone I'd asked to come out and help me film didn't want to because they thought Anaheim would be getting the worst rain storm in history or something all weekend. :P

• For You!

Re: R.I.P. Block Party Bash

Thanks for the final report - my family loved this parade too. I hope it gets replaced with something just as high energy and fun!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Glad you got to see the final Block Party Bash Almandot. At 5 o' clock it was starting to look like some nasty weather. Good for you, good for the performers and it was great hanging out with you before the last showing.

Chad

• Feeling LOVED

We saw the parade today as well...or a quick fly by of the last parade. It was awesome to see all the old perfomers come out and say good bye. It was a fun parade and Florida will have a great time with it.
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• Banned User

I admired the parade for its energetic show quality, but like Al said, it's not my cup of tea. I prefer the more traditional parade ala Parade of Dreams. I look forward to the Pixar Pals parade. I think its smart to update entertainment offerings like parades and stage shows. I just hope it doesn't dissapoint or rely on such in-your-face parade stops.

Well, i will miss this parade I loved this parade ! Atleast I got the music =D

• Circle of Ancients

Thanks for the report. It was a great parade.

I remember the last days of Eureka and BLAST!, a very similar experience to what you described.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I'm glad that it is has been retired and hope that we get one way better in its place. Hopefully the next parade DCA gets will represent the new details and theme the park is receiving. The bright pastel colors and bland floats never did it for me, however the performers did their best and the parade gets points for that.

• Queen Elsa

To bad it had to rain today or me and my family would of gone to DCA to. I to well miss this Parade it was a fun Parade.

Oh, I will miss that parade! I enjoyed it. I wanted my mom to see it before it ended though (she recently got an AP). If I had realized it was ending so soon we would have made a point to see it this week. I haven't been keeping up on Micechat lately or I might have known

The Pirate Show on the Island also ended. We went to see the show on Jan 2 since we had never seen it before and we know someone who played Jack. It's a shame they closed that, they had big crowds that day anyways. It was a cute show.

They didnt shut down that show. i was there on the 3rd, and we were walking down from adventureland and there was a show going on.

• Banned User

Goodbye Block Party Bash! thanks for the memories,we will miss you.

• Banned User

I may be the only person on earth who did not like this parade. I watched it once in 2005, and avoided it ever since then! ha!

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I may be the only person on earth who did not like this parade. I watched it once in 2005, and avoided it ever since then! ha!
    No you're not but more people liked it than most people who didn't like it would like to admit and i don't really want to hear more people start flooding this thread with "I didn't like it either good riddance" comments so please kindly keep that stuff away from this thread.

• Minion

I loved it! I will always remember visiting from Wisconsin and my sister dancing to the parade! It had to be the happiest I've ever seen her!

Goodbye Block Party Bash!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast