Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dont make me unfriend you

Tips for getting picked at the Jedi Academy??

Last year we attended Dl when they had the Jedi Academy in TL. My son (then 7 years old) wanted very badly to be picked. We attended all but the first show and he was never picked to go up. It was in the off season (April) so it wasn't super crowded when we went. The little guy was heart broken. (My wife hates the show, because we went to see it 4-5 times and my son was never picked)

We are heading back to Dl in March. They are running the Academy again this year. So... the question is, are there "secrets" or tips to help your child get picked at least once for the show?

Thanks

Re: Tips for getting picked at the Jedi Academy??

That's a very sad story. If I were you I would talk to management. You could ask someone at the front gate, perhaps. I hope your kid gets to become a Jedi. I am 55, and I kind of wish I could become a Jedi, myself, but defer to the kiddies. I love to see the eyes of the kids light up when they become Jedi knights. Someday, in my Grumpy shirt, Grumpy hat, and wearing my Grumpy badges, I think I'll go near the stage and go through the moves with a toy light saber! LOL.

We just went through this last week we a friends 7 yo he was not chosen either and was so sad. I saw kids in Jedi costumes. Some people even had neon green signs with an arrow that said Pick Me.
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

When my son was picked it was one of the first showings of the day and he was in the very front row. He wasn't shy about waving his hands around and jumping up and down either. He wasn't wearing a Jedi costume, but we did notice that many that were picked were wearing something Jedi-ish

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Definitely jump up and down and look VERY excited. I told my kids to politely raise their hands and be patient. Yeah, that worked.

It is heartwrenching when they don't get picked. Mine didn't even want to watch the show he was so heartbroken But we came back later and tried again and yes, sitting in the front and being enthusiastic is the way to go. Also, have them look the "pickers" in the eye. Parents standing with the child looking hopeful seems to work as well Signs and Star Wars attire DO seem to help as well.

Good luck to you!
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Knight that says Nee!!

It is very obvious, having watched several times now, that they pick the most enthusiastic ones. My wife "coached" several of our friend's kids (my daughter wasn't interested this time and my son is a bit too young) and they got picked. They shouted and whooped and hollared and jumped up and down waving their arms. I noticed that MOST of the time that's who the Jedi Master picks...the kids who REALLY look like they want to do it, not the kids who seem unsure or who appear to be doing it because mom and dad said to, lol.

I hope your kids get to do it this time!

I don't want to start a problem but I have to say...Talking to management is not the thing to do. Sorry Whamo, but in the case of the Jedi Academy, that's how it is. Some get picked and some don't. Going to management and expecting a lead or some one to say "oh okay we'll get your kid in next time, no matter what" just seems against the spirit of the whole thing. It's simple math, even on a slow day there are often far more kids who want to do it than there are slots to fill, so someone is going to get left out. It would make things worse if Disney started filling some of those slots with kids who's parents figured out that all they had to do was pitch a fit to the right person, ya know?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

I wish I understood the magic formula that is JTA. We went last year in October right after the show started with another family. My daughter watched the show at noon (while I was at the meet in the hub! ) and when I went to find them around 1, guess where she was? She got picked. So we thought it was easy cheesy. Our friends went to countless shows and their son (who was there celebrating his 5th birthday and covered in Happy Birthday stuff) never got picked once. Some say it was because my daughter is a girl and they like girls that get into it. Could be.

Fast forward to our vacation this past December. Same family was with us. Youngest son is now 6 and lives and breathes for Star Wars. The family joked that the whole trip was about getting him picked for JTA, but I think it may have been less of a joke then they were making it out to be -- needless to say, the first time my daughter tried, she was picked. Then I think it was a day or two later and they decided to try for the first time at the last show of the day. I can say it wasn't as packed as the earlier shows we had watched. I had to tell my DD to NOT even try to be picked as it was all about the 6 year old. So, she stood there and jumped up and down and pointed at him. The poor guy was practically crying he wanted it so badly - but the Jedi Master went from one side to the other and back again without picking him. FINALLY he got picked. Then my daughter was jumping up and down with excitement for him, and yeah, she got picked again.

By the end of the trip, she had done it 4 times. I started calling her a little Jedi Ho. True story.

So, I think the massive enthusiasm helps. I haven't heard any of the "magical spots to sit" like there used to be at Sword in the Stone (I say "used to be" because the one time I watched this last trip, Merlin picked the adult from the spot he normally picks the kids, so maybe they flipped it) - but I can say that sitting right near the center isn't the best spot as you are blocked during the picking process by all the kids running in front and the Jedi helpers going back and forth. I think that was what took so long in his getting picked - the Jedi Master couldn't see him! (as a parent, it's also a bad place to sit for taking pictures if your child ends up fighting Vader -- Maul gets in the way)

I hope you have better luck next time. I'd definitely try a few different shows to see if some are less attended - like the first or last of the day, or during heavy lunch times. And get excited!!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by poohnpiglet View Post
    Some people even had neon green signs with an arrow that said Pick Me.
    Do you think if i wore a sign like that they'd pick me? I soooooo want to be a Jedi.
    I know it sucks when somebody's kids dont get picked, but not to rant here, its almost as much of a let down when your in your twenties, raised on everything that is Star Wars, and the "man" says your tooo old...

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    almost as much of a let down when your in your twenties, raised on everything that is Star Wars, and the "man" says your tooo old...
    Even Yoda said it...Too old to complete the training!

Whaaa! I feel your pain though.

Luke was a lil too old, but he still got to rock the Jedi Style. Yoda gave in eventually...

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    Luke was a lil too old, but he still got to rock the Jedi Style. Yoda gave in eventually...
    Yeah but he had family connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Yeah but he had family connections.
    Touche!
    Anyways, the JTA is very, very cool. Way better than Club Buzz. The first time i saw it though, all i wanted to do was jump up and down and get picked. I dont think they have a jedi robe that would fit me though....
    And i think i swing a little harder than the kids do

• formerly PretzelSouls!

The look for the most energetic kids so have him go wild!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by tinkermonkey View Post
    I wish I understood the magic formula that is JTA. We went last year in October right after the show started with another family. My daughter watched the show at noon (while I was at the meet in the hub! ) and when I went to find them around 1, guess where she was? She got picked. So we thought it was easy cheesy. Our friends went to countless shows and their son (who was there celebrating his 5th birthday and covered in Happy Birthday stuff) never got picked once. Some say it was because my daughter is a girl and they like girls that get into it. Could be.

Fast forward to our vacation this past December. Same family was with us. Youngest son is now 6 and lives and breathes for Star Wars. The family joked that the whole trip was about getting him picked for JTA, but I think it may have been less of a joke then they were making it out to be -- needless to say, the first time my daughter tried, she was picked. Then I think it was a day or two later and they decided to try for the first time at the last show of the day. I can say it wasn't as packed as the earlier shows we had watched. I had to tell my DD to NOT even try to be picked as it was all about the 6 year old. So, she stood there and jumped up and down and pointed at him. The poor guy was practically crying he wanted it so badly - but the Jedi Master went from one side to the other and back again without picking him. FINALLY he got picked. Then my daughter was jumping up and down with excitement for him, and yeah, she got picked again.

By the end of the trip, she had done it 4 times. I started calling her a little Jedi Ho. True story.

So, I think the massive enthusiasm helps. I haven't heard any of the "magical spots to sit" like there used to be at Sword in the Stone (I say "used to be" because the one time I watched this last trip, Merlin picked the adult from the spot he normally picks the kids, so maybe they flipped it) - but I can say that sitting right near the center isn't the best spot as you are blocked during the picking process by all the kids running in front and the Jedi helpers going back and forth. I think that was what took so long in his getting picked - the Jedi Master couldn't see him! (as a parent, it's also a bad place to sit for taking pictures if your child ends up fighting Vader -- Maul gets in the way)

I hope you have better luck next time. I'd definitely try a few different shows to see if some are less attended - like the first or last of the day, or during heavy lunch times. And get excited!!
    I'm the other family. JTA sucks the big one! I can tell you that I think it does help to sit more to the sides than towards the middle, but of course it's hard to make the little one in your group sit farther away. The time we got picked, it was towards the end and my guy turned to me crying because he hadn't been picked yet. I stood up, crying myself for the pain I knew he was feeling and that is when he got picked.

The whole jumping thing is really hard. My guy has asthma and jumping like that is particularly difficult for him. The JTA picking method is frustrating and I wish you the best of luck.

Oh, and now that he's been picked, we are never going to JTA again!

• Minion

I say...use the force.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast