Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Star Tours- What's the deal and how to fix it!!!

So what's the deal with Star Tours? I mean over and over I hear complaints in chats about it's degradation and Disney seems to have no interest in fixing this attraction. I can't understand how this company obcessed with movie tie ins couldn't/wouldn't upgrade this ride to coincide with the release of the last Starwars prequel film.

The first time I rode that ride I absolutely loved it, had to have the suveniers and everything, and now I pretty much avoid it. Obviously the repetative nature of a film ride is challenging, thus why I try not to overdo Soarin' but can't they do something to improve or change the ride. Not only is the film tired but the ride vehicles themselves have become very, very dated and rattle so much you start to wonder about safety issues and it's just distracting.

So what should Disney do to fix Star Tours? If it's a new film and some minor updating what should that film be about and should it feature the old or new movies? Should the ride be replaced and if so by what?

• =)

Re: Star Tours- What's the deal and how to fix it!!!

I hear complaints in chats about it's degradation and Disney seems to have no interest in fixing this attraction.
    Which high-ranking Imagineer told you this? Don't count your chickens before they hatch, man.

• Senior Minion

They should have hatched it about 10 years ago. The chicken would have died in childbirth. I'm sure there are many imagineers who are embarassed by the current state and would like to fix this and many other things around the park too. There are clearly many very talented people there who I would like to work with one day.

But if you have heard there working on it that's good. Better late than never I guess.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Disney seems to have no interest in fixing this attraction.
    I've said it many times, but attractions are replaced when the amountof money required to keep them open (in labor and maintenance) is more than the amount of guests the ride is pulling in.

Sure it seems to a casual observer that there are fewer people lining up for Star Tours now, and personally I rarely visit that attraction - but the one thing that ride has going for it, is how cheap it has to be to operate. Operating budget is directly tied to how many cabins they have running, and if the line is really short, they can simply reduce cost by reducing cabins.

So with that it in mind, why fix something that isn't broke? The attraction may not be pulling in that many people, but unlike a ride like the Skyway or the Peoplemover that would just suck dollars - the cost to keep it open is fairly low. Since there isn't really a lack of room in Disneyland, there's no reason to close it.

Star Tours doesn't need to be fixed.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

The other factor is George Lucas. What little has been reported basically states that George is not interested in just throwing in new film and reprogramming the controllers. Years ago the number I heard for the ride renewal was $60M, now I am sure it would be more.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Senior Minion

I understand the economics of it, but in a perfect world it would be fixed. Even just some better maintenace and minor cosmetic updates would help. Plus your economic arguements make my safety concerns increase. I also think it's about branding and reputation of both these hugely popular franchises. If I were George Lucas I'd want something top be done too.

I know Disney is hugely popular and is probably not too concerned about it's overall reputation right now, but the theme park business is ficle and if anyone ever comes along and offers Disney real competition (which no company does now, but that may change) then doing business this way will eventually lead to failure.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    but the one thing that ride has going for it, is how cheap it has to be to operate.
    The other thing going for it is its proximity to the central hub.

Besides extremely busy days (when just about every attraction is flooded anyway), Star Tours sees heavy traffic 1) just after a parade or fireworks, or 2) when Space Mountain is temporarily broken down. It's an excellent "Oh look, there's an attraction nearby so we can escape this crowded walkway" or "Let's buy some time until the attraction we really wanted to visit reopens" attraction.

That is why I classify Star Tours as an "excuse" or "feeder" attraction - it "feeds" off guests who may not have had every intention to ride it, but do so anyway because of its location, etc. Die hard Star Wars fans are bound to make a point of riding it for its own sake, but do most guests? My point is, Star Tours is no longer an E-ticket. And no, not every attraction needs to be a big draw, but Star Tours has the potential to be, just as it once was.

I think the argument that Star Tours is fine because the numbers justify the cost of operation is ridiculous. It's probably a true statement - no doubt that's why HISTA still exists in almost every Disney resort - but it sure sounds like a perfect way to run into a stalemate, with emphasis on stale.

The Haunted Mansion and the Jungle Cruise were recently updated, and neither (unlike the updated PotC) had lines of merchandise to "justify" it. Star Wars is a huge franchise. Something similar should happen to Star Tours, and soon.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Super Genius

I say bring back Innerspace!
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• Yeti Enthusiast

I'd probably miss the attraction if it were taken out, as it defines that late 80's-early 90's Neon Tomorrowland of perfection I grew up with, but I say either give George Lucas the cash to update it or put in something new. Adventures Through Innerspace would still work with modern ride technology behind it.

• Ice melts fast in AZ

What I'd like to see to fix ST and what I think Disney will end up doing are going to be 2 different scenarios.

What I'd like to see:
    1) Four new shows to new destinations.
    - Two destinations related to the newer trilogy.
    - Two destinations related to the older trilogy.
    - On slower days they could run one of each. (switch them up every day during the off season)
    2) Changes in the queue lines.
    - A new digital departure board with the actual times of departure and gate for each new show.
    - Addition of a "destination selection" screen prior to the simulators. This simple devise would have a total of 12 stations. 6 on each side of the 2 lines leading up to the sims. A person just has to select their destination and a color coded ticket prints out that a star tourist can hand to the CM so they can get to see the show they want to see. If too many people are picking one show in line, that ticket is sold out and is unavailable for a short period of time until seats open up for that sim. If a person or group doesn't pick a ticket, a CM will just be able to fill them in where the line is shortest.
    3) Upgrades to the ride vehicles themselves.
    - New viewing angles being able to see above and to the side would provide a better rider experience and some more repeat ridability.
    - Better fluid movements from the vehicles with additional axis of movement.
    4) I'd like to see the original ST show be given an update as well and maybe run one day a week for the people who will eventually miss the original. (I've been known to get nostalgic from time to time) But I figure if the ride vehicles are updated, the old show won't mesh with the newer sims.
    5) Rex can still return as the captain. As a droid, there are bound to be multiple copies of him.

But that's what I'd like to see.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    So what should Disney do to fix Star Tours? If it's a new film and some minor updating what should that film be about and should it feature the old or new movies? Should the ride be replaced and if so by what?
    1. major update
    2. put something that is totally futuristic

Again, I don't see what Star Wars is doing in Disneyland - and Tomorrowland. I mean, the Star Wars movies always opened up with the verbiage "A long time ago......." - and frankly, that doesn't sound futuristic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    1. major update

Again, I don't see what Star Wars is doing in Disneyland - and Tomorrowland. I mean, the Star Wars movies always opened up with the verbiage "A long time ago......." - and frankly, that doesn't sound futuristic to me.
    apparently that quote happens wayyyyyyy in the future, way after the movies. the movies are in our future.

so like

2008 - Where we are

3008 - Star Wars IV

4008 - "A Long time ago in a galaxy far far away..."
    Peace. Love. Unity. Respect. Responsibility.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    1. major update

One phrase about 'a long time ago' vs. an entire universe filled with space ships, lasers, aliens and such. It's futuristic. Is it Walt's version of the future? No. But it's a fun and cartoony future that Tomorrowland has already morphed into. It fits. It just needs to be updated. More locations, 3D.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wfkronberg View Post
    apparently that quote happens wayyyyyyy in the future, way after the movies. the movies are in our future.

so like

2008 - Where we are

3008 - Star Wars IV

4008 - "A Long time ago in a galaxy far far away..."
    No where in the movies does it say that. All it says is "a long time ago".

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Plus let us not forget that they are about to pour at least $1.2B on DCA over the next 5-6 years with a follow up. DL is not getting replacements for a ride that still pulls in people, and still operable. It may not be the must ride attraction it once was, but it still works.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast