Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Greg Emmer Quits

According to a thread in Laughing Place:

I guess working for Jay Rasulo and Ed Grier finally got to him! Can't say I blame him.

Subject: FW: FYI -- WDP&R Organizational Announcement

Below is an organizational announcement from Ed Grier. Please share with your teams as appropriate.

Date: January 8, 2008

Subject: Organizational Announcement Disneyland Resort Operations

__________________________________________________ ______________

Greg Emmer, Senior Vice President, Disneyland Resort Operations, has announced he will be leaving the Company after almost 40 years with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. His last day will be Friday, February 8, 2008. Greg started his Disney career as a ride operator at Disneyland in 1968, while he was still in college. In 1971, he moved to Florida to help open Walt Disney World. During his tenure, Greg has led all aspects of the Park experience, and has held several leadership positions at Walt Disney World, including: Vice President, Magic Kingdom Park ; Vice President, Attractions Line of Business; and, Vice President, Epcot Operations.

In 2003, Greg returned to California where he assumed his current role of Senior Vice President, Operations. He was instrumental in leading the Resort enhancement programs and the planning and execution of the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland. Greg has always been an advocate for maintaining our rich Disney heritage and traditions that have made our Company a leader in the entertainment business. Throughout his career, he was a committed supporter of the training and development of our Cast, particularly our leaders. Greg also has been an active participant in many community programs and advisory boards in Orange County, including: the Children's Hospital of Orange County; St. Joseph's Hospital; and, the Dean's Advisory Board for the Business School at California State University, Fullerton.

Please join me in thanking Greg for his years of service and wishing him well in his future endeavors. His successor will be named at a future date.

Distribution:

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Executives
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Greg Emmer Quits

Crap, he did a lot of good for the company. As for the comment above the Press Release, I think it's more Jay than Ed.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Crap, he did a lot of good for the company. As for the comment above the Press Release, I think it's more Jay than Ed.

I agree! You've had an encounter with Ed, right? From what I remember, your feedback about Ed was that he was very genuine.

Jay, well, all you have to do is watch Disneyland: Secrets, Stories, and Magic and you get the idea.

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    I agree! You've had an encounter with Ed, right? From what I remember, your feedback about Ed was that he was very genuine.

Jay, well, all you have to do is watch Disneyland: Secrets, Stories, and Magic and you get the idea.
    I certainly did and was very surprised on how much he actually likes to talks to guests (yes he does). He talked to me for at least 20 minutes. Wish I got to meet Greg Emmer before this happened.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Still lost in Neverland

This is not good. I can't say why. But this is very bad for the future.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Determining the future is a little premature, IMO. Yes, Emmer contributed greatly to the Resort but thats not to say there won't be a suitable replacement. Plus, the Resort is operating with a lot of positive momentum right now with no end in sight.

Unless you know something we don't

• the F.O.D. solution.

Greg's departure is a major loss for the Resort... but at least we still have the two Johns. (Lassiter and Storbeck)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

"Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Ack!!!! Greg will be missed. Ed has been pretty much been
    in hiding and non-consequential in regard to running DL. But
    the person that NEEDS to QUIT as soon as possible is Jay
    Rasulo. His management blunders and forced promotion of
    a celebration with nothing to celebrate "dreams" is a dud.
    Not even a forced 2nd year of "dreams" still is the most
    wasteful promo in DL's history.

Fortunately, John Lasseter seems to be the real force at DL.
    Maybe JR can be forced out some way.

• "I Break Things"

Wow... it seems like only yesterday that I watched him wringing out his jacket on the dock after an unfortunate encounter with a school of piranha.

On the bright side he had an amazing sense of humor as he continually mumbled something to the effect of "old Skips... should have known better... might have been on purpose..." I can say with honesty that there were 3 Managers who stepped off the boat and were in TEARS laughing at with their fellow colleagues.

Like Matt, I wish him well and am sad to see him leave but hope he is happy wherever he may end up, be it working or retirement.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

Wow, this is sad. I hope Greg has great future where ever he decides to go and whatever he does. He will definitely be missed.

Great story techskip!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It's never a good thing when a long time employee who cares about the company leaves. I wish him the best.

• I'm not really here

We should send him a thank you card or something.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

He was so important to turing around maintenance standards! I hope things don't slide again. Greg will be missed.

• Hall Of Promise

This is a huge loss for the resort. Greg Emmer was a huge part in turning an aging infrastructure into a gem again just in time for Disneyland's 50th. Emmer was a wonderful leader in operations and making sure the resort, Disneyland especially, remained special. I was in awe seeing so much scaffolding and tarps go up everywhere right after he moved west. When I though I saw enough there was another structure that went under tarps or that was getting its much needed and overdue renovation. Sure, it may be bad show and hurt the image at the time, but it led to such a turnaround. I hadn't known what shiny paint looked like at Disneyland until the tarps came down, especially after the Castle makeover Main Street rework. Ouimet and Emmer took Disneyland by storm and turned what looked like coil into a diamond.

This is just as bad as when Ouimet left, in my point of view, for Emmer was a great, humorous Disney Theme Park veteran. What was so great about his vision is that he deeply believed in what made Disney great, its roots. He took the ideas of the past that worked and molded them into present operations. He believed in history and nostalgia, but never had them get in the way of the future and letting the park grow.

Here's hoping he finds what he's looking for in whatever direction he is going, for he deserves it. Emmer did great things for the DLR and for WDW. I wish him all the luck one could get.

Now let's hope we get an equally great replacement as Resort Operations is just about the most important task at the resort.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast