Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Re: Are the Promotions working?

If YOAMD is even moderately successful in promoting goodwill for the casual guest it is probably a winner. YOAMD costs very little as far as campaigns go. It is a homogeneous advertising campaign that promotes the Disney parks in one tidy package as far as Disney is concerned. That we don't care for it is a moot point. We sit here complaining about what is wrong with DL and still we go to the park hundreds of times. Disney is absolutly not worried about what we think about YOAMD. I have seen people at the park just thrilled that they won the fastpass even though it was a slow day at the park. We one ears and it didn't make me want to throw them in the trash bin.

And while we might not find ears, fastpasses and such 'dream prizes' some people are going to win a nights stay at the dream suite, cruises, and money to spend. So those people are probably not going to come to MC and say YOAMD really is a stupid idea. In fact the people who have reported winning such prizes seemed pretty darn happy about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• True Disney Freak

Cool Re: Are the Promotions working?

My family certainly doesnt visit Disneyland based on the YOAMD dreams promotion. We haven't won a single thing at DL and likely have visted 15 days since the promotions started. Actually had a Dream Squad cast member ask my daughter to hold a gate at Alice in Wonderland and then push right by her to award dream fast passes to the rest of the line. I figure if there is Karma a nice Dream Squad member will graciously award the Destinations by Disney prize to my family on the next visit

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    Honestly I think they are extending because itís not hindering, numbers are still up and with other things on the horizon (Midway Mania, PIxar play parade, etc) itís a very easy promotion to tie into those events. You can't go full force every year with a huge event or it will become blasť. YOAMD is a way to have a promotion; press events etc which still having the opportunity to have other promotions, 2ers, ride openings etc. The promotion is definitely cost effective enough for them, and itís a nice perk for guests when they get to the park if they happen to win.

This is my entire point. I believe people may be confusing the YOAMD for something it isn't.

Now, if they were to stop calling these prizes "dreams" and call them what they are PRIZES I may change my opinion, until then itís just like any other marketing campaign and does not have the same call to action as a contest or sweepstakes should.

(BOLD mine) Possibly its design was not meant to fulfill such a purpose as you outline.

Since Disney doesn't literally create 'magic' (in its strictest definition) maybe they should refrain from that claim as well? I still don't understand all the semantic grumblings surrounding the choice of the word 'dreams'. Some of the premium giveaways may very well accurately reflect a 'dream', a 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity. To dismiss an entire promotion because of subjective interpretation seems unfair to me.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Disney has a long history of promotional gimmicks. Before we cry for the head of the current management team perhaps we would be well served to reflect on the long history of Disney promotions. If anyone wishes to learn more I would suggest starting with Ridgway's "Spinning Disney's World" the guy spent nearly 50 years selling Disney and many of the things that Disney did look hokey even from the inside. Promoting Disney the brand really isn't any different, mechanically speaking, than promoting gasoline and automobiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    [/color]
    This is my entire point. I believe people may be confusing the YOAMD for something it isn't.

I still don't understand all the semantic grumblings surrounding the choice of the word 'dreams'. Some of the premium giveaways may very well accurately reflect a 'dream', a 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity. To dismiss an entire promotion because of subjective interpretation seems unfair to me.
    As a branding campaign I think it is hugely successful, the TV media is enough to conjure images of Disney and make people want to visit the parks, and the attendance numbers over the past years definitely would lead to that conclusion. So, in that realm the promotion is a success, as a marketing promotion for the parks.

The issue I have with it is the prize opportunity (or lack thereof depending on if you have won). They had an opportunity to create something special, like they had for the 30th or 35th (not totally sure which one, I tend to think it was the 30th because I wasnít 16 yet), when I had great anticipation going to the park about my opportunity to win. I remember the Bronco parked outside that was one of the prizes, and sitting in it...wishing I could win it.

That anticipation is what is missing. Although, as you have stated itís maybe not the intention of the campaign and not needed possibly to boost attendance to the parks. From a Disney prize promotion, that magical anticipation for an opportunity to win a real prize...maybe even a dream as you state just doesn't exist here.

I guess I am more upset that they had a huge opportunity to create that feeling with this promotion and its just not there. They created a great message...its just too bad its misunderstood by the masses.

A little piece of heaven

•   

I guess I am more upset that they had a huge opportunity to create that feeling with this promotion and its just not there. They created a great message...its just too bad its misunderstood by the masses.
    A good point---and maybe the public's more literal interpretation of 'dream' has set the promotion up for ultimate disappointment by unintentionally creating a standard which it cannot (and was not designed to) live up to.

• Minion

My sense of it:

Christmas? Yes.

Halloween? Yes.

50th Anniversary? Yes.

2Fer/Vons/SoCal Discounts? Yes.

Dreams giveaway? No.

Expensive merchandising events? No.

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    A good point---and maybe the public's more literal interpretation of 'dream' has set the promotion up for ultimate disappointment by unintentionally creating a standard which it cannot (and was not designed to) live up to.
    Bold mine

Come on It's Disney we are talking about here. They can DO anything!

And yes, any word other than dream may have been better!

A little piece of heaven

•   

Come on It's Disney we are talking about here. They can DO anything!
    Unfortunately I believe this is true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12