Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: New Garden Grove Theme Park

Interesting that Disney recently announced such big plans for the resort. Maybe they are gearing up to be better able to draw visitors away from this new park. Sure thing they know more about what's going on than we do.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Those people matter though. They are the people that may end up working at this new theme park. Sorry... kinda' hot topic with me.
    I agree that's not a good situation, it's a challenge facing every city in America. Our nation needs to learn how to spread the benefits of econimic development to all levels in our society and make sure that all boats are raised and not sunk by it.

• Banned User

I think the competition would keep Disneyland on its legs instead of sitting on its hands.

Then again, look at Disney World.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Take a look at the InternationalWEST website, especially the "Multimedia Downloads" section. InternationalWEST has been successful in attracting hotels and sprucing up parts of Harbor Blvd. in Garden Grove.

http://www.internationalwest.com/

The master plan shows a theme park. There are several other references to a theme park. The Section 3 plan even shows a map of a theme park.

The following Orange County Register article mentions plans for two theme parks in Garden Grove: http://www.ocregister.com/news/anahe...09-resort-city

I'm skeptical about a theme park in Garden Grove ever becoming a reality.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Take a look at the InternationalWEST website, especially the "Multimedia Downloads" section. InternationalWEST has been successful in attracting hotels and sprucing up parts of Harbor Blvd. in Garden Grove.
    LOL! They are second fiddle and they don't mind admitting it:
    We may not be the Happiest Place on Earth, but we're close!
    The master plan shows a theme park.
    Yeah, right in the shadow of the picturesque Garden Grove Freeway. Mmmm.

I do like how they're planning to 'prettify' the southern section of Harbor though. Lots of trees, might be nice.

I wonder why the old rail right of way is still cutting a swathe through the 3rd plan. Surely they'd just plan to build right over it?

(The TV program is annoyingly twee)
    Last edited by monotonehell; 01-15-2008 at 10:46 PM.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• "I Break Things"

So basically the plan is to build Adventure City on steroids with a bunch of hotels around it... somehow I don't think Disney is too worried about it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Hall Of Promise

I don't think the question is if Disney is worried, but rather if a company is willing to own or operate a theme park next to Disneyland. The theme park would need to be as large and popular as Knott's for anything significant to happen.

If anything I would hope a large company would come in with pistols ready. Competition could do some good in kick starting some new things at the Disneyland Resort on a more constant basis. It appears the only competition Disneyland is facing nowadays is whatever USH comes up with every few years, but more so the seasonal offerings at the nearby parks. Oh, and apparently some in the city that want to build residential complexes within the dedicated resort zone. And honestly, TDA isn't really shaking in their boots from this competition, let along shedding a single bead of sweat.

The master plan shows a theme park. There are several other references to a theme park. The Section 3 plan even shows a map of a theme park.

The following Orange County Register article mentions plans for two theme parks in Garden Grove: http://www.ocregister.com/news/anahe...09-resort-city

I'm skeptical about a theme park in Garden Grove ever becoming a reality.

I seem to recall that either a Taiwanese or Korean investor was supposed to be backing the supposed GG theme park, but that nother ever came of it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    I seem to recall that either a Taiwanese or Korean investor was supposed to be backing the supposed GG theme park, but that nother ever came of it.
    You might be thinking of this November 2006 article: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200611/243/

I think it would be very difficult to put together a successful business case for a theme park in Garden Grove, in the shadow of the legendary Disneyland Park, a revitalized California Adventure, the roller coaster heaven of Knott's, possibly a third Disney park, and the many other attractions of Southern California (including beaches, museums, shopping, theater, zoos, and large gardens).

Of course, a park in Garden Grove would have the huge local population of Southern California at its doorstep, as well as being near thousands of hotel rooms filled with tourists who like theme parks.

The park would have to be very original and highly attractive to locals and tourists of all ages. A typical Six-Flags-style collection of roller coasters, slightly decorated off-the-shelf rides, and a couple of small outdoor theaters would be doomed to fail.

It would take a lot of money and highly creative designers to even have a chance of pulling off a successful theme park in Garden Grove.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123