Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• "I Break Things"

Re: Walt's Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post
    Would Disneyland be a far superior place today if Walt was alive? It sure would! I thought about this while watching an 80's retro tech show on G4 the other day. It made me think about how much technology has changed since the 50's and 60's when Walt was around to tend to the park.

Without teaching too much of a history lesson here when Disneyland opened it was the first of its kind. It CREATED an entire industry that has since flourished and branched into many others -- highly themed shopping complexes and Vegas come to mind. I remember several weeks ago someone stated that Disneyland in 1950 wowed people beyond belief and continued that today it is much harder with everyone else vying for a top spot in the industry.

The point I am getting at is that if Walt Disney was alive today and Disneyland was being built as we speak instead of back in '55 then it would equally wow us as it did the audience back then. With Walt's ambitious dreams and today's technology it would be an "out-of-this-world" experience -- much like in 1955. While the Company today innovates more than most, if Walt were alive today they would even more.

Walts ideas were severly limited at the time because of technology, however, he still created true classic attractions. Imagine what his park would be like given the state of technology today -- I'd be willing to bet he'd still be limited to an extent because thats just how the man was...never thinking in the now, but tomorrow and beyond.
    You must also ask yourself, how many technologies were either created or inspired by Disneyland. Would those technologies, and trends still exist without Disneyland... would some of them not have been possible, or pushed back several years? Disneyland was a major upgrade from the standard amusement park.... but if Walt hadn't built it would someone else have eventually done so?

My point remains, it is nearly impossible to remove Walt from his time period and say "He would do this!". Likewise it is impossible to predict what could have happened had he not built Disneyland until now.... I know one thing... it would have been a great deal more expensive and may not have been built in a year!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

One also has to wonder if Walt would have cared as much as about Disneyland today or would his focus have shifted to other projects?
    His focus would have shifted to other projects. Not completely--Disneyland would probably always have a very important place in his heart. But people here are forgetting that at the time of his death, he'd already shifted his focus to Florida.

Disneyland would probably be better if Walt had lived longer. Quite possibly a LOT better. But it still hurts to think about how many attractions I love now would be different or absent. The Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Star Tours, Indy, Splash Mountain, and many more would have been affected somehow by Walt still living. Perhaps in all good ways! But, as we all are so quick to forget, Walt was a human being who had plenty of bad ideas. Many of the rides he personally oversaw are not WDI/WED's best achievements, though that's partly due to developing technologies and the fact that Walt only lived for one of Disneyland's five decades.

Yes, Disneyland would probably be a better place today if Walt had lived longer, and it certainly "deserved" his input. If he had lived through the 90s (unlikely, even if he'd never smoked a single cigarette), I suspect all the horrible management issues wouldn't have come up. The old parking lot's fate would be very, very different, and that is perhaps the greatest thing Walt could have offered the resort.

• ... the Axis of Awesome

My firm belief is that something is better if you are emotionally invested in it. Like a marriage, if you care about the marriage you work your tail off to make it good. If you don't you let it fall apart. That's why newlyweds seem so much happier than older couples, however, the happiest couples are those 80 year olds who have spent 50+ years of life making their marriage work and get better. Emotional investment.

Disneyland would be better today if Walt were around because Walt loved it can cared about it. It wasn't a vehicle for profits, it was a dream come true. My hope is that under Lasseter their will be a new sense of affection and pride in all the resorts. That will lead to better quality.

By the way, better quality isn't about change vs. not change. It's about knowing when to change. For example, the people mover and skyway didn't bring in the big guests, but removing them and having no replacement has left tomorrowland very empty and devoid of the motion and life it used to have. So now the whole land is less dynamic, and suffers accordingly.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan.” -- John Lasseter

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Of course it would be very different and better than it is today. Walt was always at least 50 yrs ahead of his time. The reason so many fans want to preserve the older attractions is that the new ones are terrible in comparison! If walt had lived longer alot of the treasured attractions that are still around now might even be gone but only because he replaced them with ones that would be ALOT better than the originals, hence the constant tug a war between what new attractions should be added and what legacy ones should be kept.

If you doubt this just look at the progression of new attractions at the end of his life culminating with potc and hm and compare them with ones today like buzz lightyear almost 50 yrs later!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Of course it would be very different and better than it is today. Walt was always at least 50 yrs ahead of his time. The reason so many fans want to preserve the older attractions is that the new ones are terrible in comparison! If walt had lived longer alot of the treasured attractions that are still around now might even be gone but only because he replaced them with ones that would be ALOT better than the originals, hence the constant tug a war between what new attractions should be added and what legacy ones should be kept.

If you doubt this just look at the progression of new attractions at the end of his life culminating with potc and hm and compare them with ones today like buzz lightyear almost 50 yrs later!
    Great post. Recently Disney has had a terrible track record with replacing rides. Pooh is a very poor substitute for the wonderful CBJ. We never got the Rocket Jets or comparable ride back on top of the PM loading platform. We have nothing on the PM track now, thanks to the Rocket Rods. We never got anything in place of the Skyway. Mission to Mars was replaced by a restaraunt. America Sings, eventually got replaced by Innovention. The Disney company has more often than not, screwed up big time over the last 10-15 years.
    Look at EPCOT, that used to be a great park, but due to mostly horrible re-dos and replacements, it is almost worse than DCA:

It sounds like Spaceship Earth has turned into a cartoon.
    Journey into Imagination was ruined.
    No more on board narrarators on Living with the Land.
    No more Hydrolators in The Living Seas, ride portion replaced by crappy Nemo advertisement.
    They didn't even bother to theme Soarin'.
    They closed Wonders of Life and put nothing in to replace it.
    Mission: Space replaced Horizons.

Changing stuff has totally destroyed EPCOT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12