Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Resident Ghost

Walt's Disneyland?

I hear chatter around the forums whenever a change happens to a ride at Disneyland that Walt wouldn't have liked it. Wasn't Walt all for change? If Walt was alive today, do you think Disneyland would be better or worse?

My opinions come later...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Walt's Disneyland?

• Yeti Enthusiast

Really good response, lazyboy.

• Minion

Well, based on the pictures they showed in that blurb, I'll take the museum, thank you! Having said that, I do agree that Disneyland should constantly be changing and becoming new things to new generations. But, only if the changes are in good taste. The changes shown were from Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland is a shadow of its former self and I'd rather have the older attractions put back in than to have some of the things there today!

• Senior Minion

Wow, I almost posed this same question recently as it seems to be a constant debate.

I believe, yes, DL would be vastly superior were Walt around, primarily because Walt was a build it, and they will come type of person. I believe the park would be updated more frequently and with Roy at his side they would be able to strike the fine balance between creativity and business. We should all remeber Roy's importance as he was clearly the only thing that prevented Walt from going broke on his big ideas.

A highly creative individual like Walt will take chances which would actually fail in some ways more often than what Disney gives us today, but the end result over time would be more fun, quirky and unique ideas and even more attractions which would last the test of time.

I believe this is clearly why many people are excited about the leadership of John Lasetter. We believe that a creative individual with perfectionist tendancies much like Walt will deliver more inspired attractions and push the envelope when they have the power and ability to do so. While it takes the combined efforts of many creative people to bring to life something like a Disney attraction you cannot underestimate the power of a creative and passionate leader, an individual pushing all of their team to heights even they would not have thought possible.

Inevitably we would still fall in love with the best attractions and many would not want to see them changed. But Walt would have likely have tinkered with them anyway, but he would also have been forgiven for that far more easily than we do now and for the most part the changes he made would improve the experience. In spite of this, I belive many times people would still claim that Walt ruined a ride for them. No matter what you do, there will always be people willing to criticize it and Walt would certainly not have been immune.

Overall, I think it's pretty silly though when people say things like Walt wouldn't have done that, like they know exactly how he thougt. You can make logical suppositions based on a knowledge of his life about general things, but when you try to get specific then it becomes more of your opinion than Walt's. Some of Walt's ideas were, and if he lived longer, still would be bad ones. We should not forget that. What we and the decision makers and Imagineers at Disney must remember though is to be like Walt and have that ability to connect with the child inside all of us and create experiences that are fun and entertaining. That was clearly Walt's great gift to the world and the reason we're all even talking about any of this in the first place.

I've seen pictures of how it was and I can honestly say that it is better now than it was when Walt was alive. This is what Disneyland was meant for and it's good to see that. I think Walt thought that we would get tired of attractions therefore they will be taken out and something new will take it's place but the opposite happened, people have gotten attached to these attractions, so for those attractions, they should stay. I still believe it is important to ask if Walt would want it though, but there is some things that he hasn't seen before he died.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    We should all remeber Roy's importance as he was clearly the only thing that prevented Walt from going broke on his big ideas.
    I don't remember who exactly said it, but it was along the lines of, "Roy is painted as being the control that kept Walt in check. In fact, just the opposite is true. It was Roy who always found a way to enable Walt."

• ...lurks...

Better, much better. Because of one thing that everyone knows Walt loved - QUALITY.
    I have no doubt that he'd be changing things all the time, but again to the above line....QUALITY.

• "I Break Things"

No clue since he isn't around. There are a lot of decisions that the company has made that enabled them to afford the changes over the years... there is no telling if Walt would have made the same decisions, better decisions, worse decisions, so he may not have had the same options at his own disposal. I believe he would have strived for quality, but what you want and what you can afford are sometimes two very different things.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Isn't Disneyland a reflection of Disney Animation and film companies? So the question should be posed would Walt have allowed some of the movies that are under his company? Because some of those movies inspired rides, attractions, etc in the Disneyland we see today. I like Disneyland right now, but I always want to see what the imaginears (sp?) have up their sleeves.

• Old Timer

As much as I admire him, Walt Disney, as most, very likely would have become more conservative as he became older... less likely to take risks. That is less likely to take risks than he did earlier, he still would have been groundbreaking compared to most. He may not have embraced new technologies as quickly as he might once have.

It would be a different question if you were asking about the younger Walt.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn, Renaissance Woman View Post
    As much as I admire him, Walt Disney, as most, very likely would have become more conservative as he became older... less likely to take risks. That is less likely to take risks than he did earlier, he still would have been groundbreaking compared to most. He may not have embraced new technologies as quickly as he might once have.

It would be a different question if you were asking about the younger Walt.
    In some respects I would agree with this. In other respects I would argue against it. It is true that some individuals become more conservative, other individuals actually become more outspoken, more brash if you will, creative spirits that remain defiant simply because they refuse to "retire". One of the things that makes it extremely difficult to predict how Walt would react is the time period in which he died. Think about the social changes that have happened over the years. He died during the Civil Rights era, (technically middle of it as most scholars place it but I will say beginning since everything really peaked in the 60's). He may have known a few Hippies, but the drug culture had just begun to take hold! Think about the 70's, heavy drug use. Think about the 80's, everyone concerned with money, also using heavier drugs. 90's... all about technology and the recession! That is one aspect. Then you can look at the changes in demographics, race relations, gender relations... Society as a whole has gone through drastic changes and IMO there is no way to accurately predict what may, or may not have happened. For all we know Walt could have survived his "sickness" only to fall victim to another vice in a different era. There is no way of knowing what impact the various changes in society would have had on his decisions, both personal and professional. He may have been more conservative, or he may have been more outspoken... no way to know.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Bacon View Post
    I If Walt was alive today, do you think Disneyland would be better or worse?
    Would Disneyland be a far superior place today if Walt was alive? It sure would! I thought about this while watching an 80's retro tech show on G4 the other day. It made me think about how much technology has changed since the 50's and 60's when Walt was around to tend to the park.

Without teaching too much of a history lesson here when Disneyland opened it was the first of its kind. It CREATED an entire industry that has since flourished and branched into many others -- highly themed shopping complexes and Vegas come to mind. I remember several weeks ago someone stated that Disneyland in 1950 wowed people beyond belief and continued that today it is much harder with everyone else vying for a top spot in the industry.

The point I am getting at is that if Walt Disney was alive today and Disneyland was being built as we speak instead of back in '55 then it would equally wow us as it did the audience back then. With Walt's ambitious dreams and today's technology it would be an "out-of-this-world" experience -- much like in 1955. While the Company today innovates more than most, if Walt were alive today they would even more.

Walts ideas were severly limited at the time because of technology, however, he still created true classic attractions. Imagine what his park would be like given the state of technology today -- I'd be willing to bet he'd still be limited to an extent because thats just how the man was...never thinking in the now, but tomorrow and beyond.
    Class of 2005...

• Closed Account

"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."

--Walt Disney

• Minion

One also has to wonder if Walt would have cared as much as about Disneyland today or would his focus have shifted to other projects?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast