Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• No Longer The Candidate

Re: Accident at Disneyland 7.29.05

My guess is that the car had been slowed but for some reason didn't stop all of the way.

• I Hug My Tapirs

My impression was that they used the term "slow speed" to indicate that it did get some sort of brake along the way, and was coming in at the normal speed that it comes into the station (as opposed to the speed at which it hits those last turns by the camera). That's just my impression from the articles, though.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Party Planning King

OK, that makes sense. Maybe the safety brake at the entrance of the helix actually did a little bit of work to slow the train. Thanks for helping to answer my question. I'll stop speculating now.
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Angry Re: Accident at Disneyland 7.29.05

Quote Originally Posted by phantomcia
    Not any preventative maintenance program can produce an attraction that is 100% safe. Inherent risk in theme park attractions is inevitable.
    I agree that some accidents will happen and are not the ride operator's fault. A guest jumps over a fence and gets hit by a ride, a guest tries to get out of a restraint and is injured., etc. I even understand if a guest with an unknown heart condition dies on an attraction. But I will not accept ride failures which result in guest injury or death as a simple part of the Disneyland experience. Is it acceptable if a ride only sends 15 people to the hospital every 5 years? What about if it only kills someone once every 15 years? What is the acceptable limit?

From the time the park opened until about 10 years ago, no one had ever died at Disneyland due to the malfunction of a ride. They had been killed for other reasons or by a ride, but not the fault of the ride. Suddenly, during the Pressler era, attractions started to randomly kill people. This just happened to coincide with the documented cut back in maintenance and new policies regarding when maintenance would be dispatched to a ride. Why the difference? What had the park been doing for 40 years that is different now?

It IS possible to build safe rides. And the public has EVERY right to be mad as hell when an attraction injures or kills someone. I would much rather that they evaluate the rides with potentially dangerous conditions and close them pending repair than keep them open and possible hurt or kill someone. As the guest, you don't have the information about a ride that Disney does. If you knew that a ride was scheduled for maintenance and that it had been postponed because the park was too busy, would you still ride it? How many of you still duck your head on Thunder when you enter the tunnel of death? These accidents DO hurt the Disney safety image, and no press release or cute "Safety First" campaign with Lion King characters is going to make it all right again. Only a very long stretch with NO accidents is going to do it.

I wonder how safe we really are in the modern corporate Disneyland? If it isn't safety over profits, than we will see more accidents like this in the future.

-The Dusty Sage
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• ...or just Tonny

It's a simple fact of life that nothing can be 100% safe, not even rollercoasters. Still, this is odd, as the ride's manufacturer, Intamin AG, has had more problems this past year...
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

Here are some of the major accidents that have happened recently -

In March, a 4-year-old boy broke a finger and severed the tip of his thumb while on the Storybook Land Canal Boats ride at Disneyland ...

Four people were hurt in December when a float at a Disneyland parade struck them. One of the four was treated at a hospital.

In 2003, a 22-year-old man was killed and 10 people were injured when Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster derailed ... the result of mechanical failure caused by improper maintenance.

Another fatality occurred at Disneyland in 1998 when a cleat used to dock the sailing ship Columbia ripped loose and struck a 33-year-old man.

You can read the whole article here - http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...n212734D83.DTL

Lets step up the maintenance and saftey procedures and make sure that CM's are properly trained. That's just the tip of the iceberg - I'm sure.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    I hate to even make a semi-joke here but: This is not going to help DCA's attendance...
    Hypothetical: Disney has decided to sell California Adventure because a bunch of fanboy critics have damned the park. Every theme park operator (Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Universal, etc.) steps up to purchase the park. Why? Simple, because even without the park hoppers and get a day free the park still would draw more attendance than 90% of the theme park's in North America. You have to wonder how a park in Santa Claus, Indiana that doesn't draw a million people can make a profit? I known in a Disney fanboy's eyes it's not possible, but in reality it is.

You and a few of the critics out there have damned the park and claim it is a disaster with attendance. Disney has not stated that it is a failure, as Al and a few of the rest of you do daily. They have stated that attendance did not meet projections, but the question is how far off is it and if you compare to the four most successful Disney parks in Florida THEY TOO all reap the benefit of increased attendance due to park hopper tickets as well. Yet, you don't cry that Animal Kingdom and Disney MGM Studios are failures. Both of those parks suck in comparison to what DCA offers.

So to conclude on topic, will the accident affect DCA's attendance? Not from out of town guests. They will continue to visit as planned. Maybe passholders will skip because Screamin' might be the only ride they like or they're such "safety freaks" that they probably shouldn't be at any theme park for that matter.

• For old time sake

<sigh> This proves that there is still alot of work that needs to be done. CM Matt has his work cut out for him. It should be no surprise that Presslers cheaply thrown together park is suffering now. ridea are like cars. They need regular maintainence and that includes the computers and what not that run them.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• insufferable know-it-all

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    God Damn DCA
    He already did

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cfparkmanager
    . . . will the accident affect DCA's attendance? Not from out of town guests. They will continue to visit as planned. Maybe passholders will skip because Screamin' might be the only ride they like or they're such "safety freaks" that they probably shouldn't be at any theme park for that matter.
    Well, DCA was already Disney's least attended park. So this can't help. And if Disney passes off any loss of attendance as being due to "Safety Freaks" it will prove that they don't really care about safety of their guests over profits.

But hey, perhaps I'm wrong, people might actually want to attend parks that randomly injure and kill people.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Party Planning King

This reminds me of the last incident at Big Thunder Mountain. If you can recall, new & inexperienced ride operators ran the attraction loaded with guests in manual override resulting in a 5 MPH "bump" of trains. I won't be surprised if the same explanation is given for this latest incident at Screamin'.
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

• insufferable know-it-all

As a close and personal friend of a CM who was SUPPOSED to be getting trained on the Columbia the day of the accident, yes, it may be a bit personal when it comes to safety. Thankfully in my friend's case, she did not get trained that day, else the rope might have thrown the cleat at HER.

Here's the thing though: Up until the Pressler era, all deaths at Disneyland were either fully or partially the guest's fault. The woman who stood up on the Matterhorn and fell out, or the guest who got out of the Peoplemover then got run over, or the "guest" who tried to sneak in by walking on the monorail track and got run over.... the guest always participated in their injury/demise. All of a sudden, the Columbia accident changed that, and only a few years later Thunder followed suit. Now we're seeing a mechanical malfunction of a dangerous sort in an attraction that is only 5 years old, in a park built under the Pressler regime.

We're right to wonder, to question.

Now, I will grant you that I've seen this type of malfunction before on another Disneyland attraction, and it caused only a minor bump and some fender damage to the vehicles (very minor). But those vehicles were slower moving even than the Screamin' trains. It's one thing when a regular attraction's vehicles bump... it's a whole other story when we're talking about high-speed rollercoasters bumping. What if it had been a different zone they cascaded in? Can we count on the other brake zones when that one has failed?

On the attraction I worked on, even a full-speed bump, though it might result in some whiplash and jarred nerves, it would not endanger anybody's lives. I can't say the same for an attraction like Screamin. If this same malfunction had happened elsewhere in the ride, when the trains are going MUCH faster, what would have been the result?

It's all too easy to dismiss people as "safety freaks", but please understand that many of the people in this thread can make the distinction between common theme park accidents (mainly those involving guest participation, such as not watching your child and letting him fall/climb out of Roger Rabbit), and those related to a regime of park management who wanted to "ride these rides into failure to save money". We have some very serious doubts now about the safety of the parks, not due to the current park management, but that which preceded it, and the ramifications of their actions during that time.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Well, DCA was already Disney's least attended park.
    Are you sure that title isn't for the Walt Disney Studios?
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Sock Puppet

Exclamation Re: Accident at Disneyland 7.29.05

OMG i hope everyone is ok but im mad at the same time because im hoping its not closed on August 16 still because its a family trip to go to disneyland and our first time to go to DCA and we were hoping to ride California Screamin'

Up until the Pressler era, all deaths at Disneyland were either fully or partially the guest's fault.
    Upon his assignment, wasn't he alleged to have said something like "We have to keep running these attractions to complete failure"? It sounds like he's getting his wish. Too bad it didn't happen when he was still with the company. I think Matt and company are making good with the situation that they inherited.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast