Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Tours II

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Re: Star Tours II

With today's technology, who's to say it has to be four different movies? How about a randomized single trip that could include thousands of possible variations? They can film all sorts of little things and allow the computer to randomly choose several destinations WITHIN the actual movie so that even if you go to endor (again), the way there would be completely different.
    this is a really good idea and would make the ride, more enjoyable and unpredictable

also has anyone else notice the line for ST getting increasingly longer, i was at the park yesterday an there was a 25 min. wait?
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• =)

Off-topic, but GothicManor, if you realize you have more to say immediately after posting, you can just go back and edit the first post. There's no need to fill up more space by creating a whole new post.

Yes but there isnt a star speeder in the star wars lexicon either so it would be a new unique vehicle that carries multiple passengers that is pod racerlike of just like current star tours a vehicle that is not supposed to be in a pod race but accidentally gets into one or they could come up with a new design that tries to incorporate features of all vehicles, pod racing, sub, city shuttle etc...
    Very true. Combining all the different design aesthetics into one vehicle might not be very successful, but combining all the different functions could work. Star Speeder 4000, anyone? Engineered to explore any environment imaginable? 'Twould be cool, methinks.

well disney just needs to get over the "it has to pay for itself in 6 months in case its a flop so lets do it on the cheap" mentaility if you want an awesome attraction that will have a multi decade lifespan and generate fan loyalty you have to be willing to pay for it Walt never considered the cost thats why we have POTC and HM etc!
    Also true, but I'm uncertain as to how this relates to this thread. The original Star Tours wasn't cheap in the slightest. The film may look dated now, but it was done using a combination of impressive model work and early CGI. The queue is immersive, the programmed motion is vastly superior to that of most spinofff entertainment simulators, and the storyline is a well-thought-out geekfest. Back in the day, it allowed fans who hadn't seen a new Star Wars film in almost a decade to experience many of their favorite sorts of scenes in a whole new way. It wasn't cheap.

Were you trying to say that Disney should be willing to invest the money in four films as opposed to one? Well, that's a little harder to say. I mean, creating four will certainly draw in bigger crowds. Will it significantly increase revenue, compared to just one new film? Meh, maybe. Hard to say. But in any case, photorealistic CG films are not cheap, nor are they quick or easy to create.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I mean, creating four will certainly draw in bigger crowds. Will it significantly increase revenue, compared to just one new film? Meh, maybe. Hard to say. But in any case, photorealistic CG films are not cheap, nor are they quick or easy to create.
    When Star Wars I came out Spielberg was quoted saying that if had to pay his normal rates to Lucas for that much CG he figures that it would have cost him (Spielberg) about $250M.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• "I Break Things"

Let me put this in the preface to prevent mass messages in my inbox concerning gaps in time or story. I am not a Star Wars fan, geek, buff, follower, expert, dweeb, or whatever else classifies an individuals who habitually follows every detail of the Star Wars franchise. That said

I would love to see a 9 movie combination. I know, people are complaining about the expense and time involved making 1. Here is my sales pitch in several phases.

Phase 1- renovate 2 cabins at a time with upgraded sound, projection, screen, and lighting effects. While those are being renovated, give a copy of the film to ILM to be digitized, formatted in HD, and overall cleaned up. Once all cabins have been upgraded begin playing upgraded HD film.

Phase 2- ILM already has a copy of the film, now in digital format. So begin developing each film. Specifically splice into existing film. Meaning the new trip will be between segments "to lightspeed" and "from lightspeed". This would ensure the same "classic" beginning, and same "classic" ending, preventing Guests from being able to "pick out" the destination in advance, thereby keeping the suprise for when you come out of lightspeed. It would also save on AA movements and cut down on cost.

--- Star Tours goes down for full refurb. ---

Phase 3- Install new panels in the cabin door windows, and 4 large ones in the ceiling above. These should all be LCD, preventing Plasma burn-in and allowing for reduced costs. Reprogram a new master server with uplink to reflect motions for all new movies, even if they are not complete yet (I'm getting to this part). Also rework the queue modernizing the graphics as need be.

Phase 4- Begin showing new movies as they are completed and uploaded from ILM. Once uploaded the new movie can be linked to the movements already programmed and the destination can be activated as a viable option for random selection.

Now before anyone has any comments I should also put this in the disclaimer. I work in the tech/entertainment industry. It would actually be cheaper for them to make multiple movies then to attempt to make one... wait several years... then make another one. There are a lot of "bells and whistles" ILM has in it's "closet" that could be added with minimal effort because the programs, and sometimes scenes, have already been designed. It is amazing what one could stitch from the proverbial "cutting room floor". This would further reduce the costs of development. With proper destination selection, small portions of the existing films could be seamlessly integrated further reducing costs. Also, they could easily link Disney in the same fashion they are currently linking most major movie theaters. This would allow for even faster upgrades, and the possibility of future releases.

As to cabin design and destinations. I would leave the cabins as is, with the additions previously mentioned. Primary Planet destinations I could think of would be
    • Hoth- ice cold, lots of potential here
    • Tatooine- someone already mentioned pod racing, or you could be chased by Jabba
    • Dagobah- rainforest FULL of life
    • Endor- Obvious... Ewoks
    • Coruscant- chase through a planet covered by a city
    • Bespin- Always wanted to see the Cloud City, and be chased by the Empire
    • Geonosis- Imagine flying around the creatures in the amphitheater
    • Tarento/Naboo*- Splash Down! insert dive dive dive here... who cares if Nemo sucked now they can make something better!
    In every case "something goes horribly wrong" and you can't actually land and disembark on tours as previously planned. This gives way to chase scenes that could in some places use film from the actual movies as well!

Special thanks to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets_of_Star_Wars to ensure I had the correct spellings of the names, as well as planet that's surface is primarily water. Also big thanks to Google for narrowing down the search for that planet!
    Now feel free to point out the inconsistencies in time and story... time for some to get their geek on! Like I said I don't pretend to know or understand ever aspect of Star Wars, I just want a better attraction.

*technically the best fit for an underwater scene would be Tarento because it's surface is almost completely covered by water, but I would recommend Naboo due mainly to public recognition in Phantom Menace.
    Last edited by techskip; 01-12-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

It would actually be cheaper for them to make multiple movies then to attempt to make one... wait several years... then make another one. There are a lot of "bells and whistles" ILM has in it's "closet" that could be added with minimal effort because the programs, and sometimes scenes, have already been designed. It is amazing what one could stitch from the proverbial "cutting room floor". This would further reduce the costs of development.
    Good point. If multiple films are made, it'd be better to do them all at once than spread out over the years.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Good point. If multiple films are made, it'd be better to do them all at once than spread out over the years.
    I was thinking about this for a bit. ILM, Pixar, Dreamworks, and a handful of other companies do most of the CGI in the film industry. Yes it is expensive... at first. But as films are created, so are the programs to make them. They had a special recently (Wired Science) on the development of a program to make a realistic water sequence for PoC World's End sea battle finale. The company spent a FORTUNE to make, and process, that sequence. You know what... now that the program is made similar sequences can be done with a lot less effort! Pre Jurassic Park there was a huge problem getting the skin to look correct for CGI Animals because the muscle moves under the skin. Speilburg's tech wizards cracked that code, then Lucas and countless others used similar technologies in their films to make even more realistic creatures. Think about Sully's hair in Monster's Inc... believe it or not most of the animators stated flat out that it was the most technical challenge! Recently they released Beowulf... I didn't see it so I do not know how it looks.

My point is that in order to design and develop new scenes for Star Tours all you need to do is use what is already there. Sure Disney could spend a fortune, and develop new programs and mind-blowing graphics. Or they could use Lucas as well as their own resources and spice up what is already at their disposal! I really think a lot of people are over-estimating how much a lot of this would cost... because there is plenty that has already been left on that cutting room floor and WDI for one has had numerous trip plans for YEARS... so a developed storyboard would take at most a couple months! Plus if you use existing footage, and also splice in as I previously suggested you can cut the costs further because there would be less to develop.

The one major cost I could easily foresee would be developing "shorts" for the sides and ceiling. In effect you would be developing one large scene, then essentially using 4 displays as one (think video wall or similar use in most current trade shows). The other cost would be upgrades to the cabin, and motion sims. That aside, the download ability for future upgrades is already something that could be used currently. I am fairly confident that TDA has the bandwidth and technology necessary to pull this off, and I know Burbank and Glendale already have the technology and encryption necessary (long story, research HDCP for more details) to make this happen. It would be an IT guy downloading the necessary stuff... then walking over to Star Tours and uploading it, ensure you enable that destination and there you have it... a fresh look!
    Last edited by techskip; 01-12-2008 at 10:21 PM.

• Mischievous Mouse

Wow, I like some of these ideas a lot. I hope the imagineers and suits hammer something out within a couple years.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

I made the mistake of renting Dragon Wars the other day. One thing I learned... MOST CURRENT COMPANIES can do the CGI effects necessary for a Star Tours update! Move was horrible btw... but the effects were interesting.

• a wind to shake the stars

I can't see them making more than one movie, but it would be really interesting if they made one movie with different paths, kind of like Indy. They say that there are like a million ways to experience the ride, like one time you'll go through the door to riches and Indy will say "Why did it have to be snakes!" and the car will stall on the bridge and at the end he'll say "You did pretty good... for tourists" and other rides will be different, at least in the little details. With a digital projection system and "4D" effects they could definitely make it so each ridethrough was a little bit different.

Star Tours II ideas have been beaten over the head so many times its past being old. but if no1 has mentioned whats wrong with this idea is that some unlucky guest will keep getting the same exact one and get pissed at the cm's, ppl would ask for a specific one and cm's couldnt promise anyone what they would get.

Rather than create four finite films I would instead say they create a set of destinations. Maybe 2 or 3 locations all accessible via Starspeeder. This would reinforce the airport terminal themeing in the queue line as well as allow the current ride vehicles to remain as they are.

Within each of these destinations there could also be subtle differences. Todays media technologies and digital projectors would allow for a single destination to be slightly different each time you ride. Similar to the numerous randomly selected effects on Indiana Jones. In this case it would be done with video and one (or more) audio-animatronic characters. Throw in some other in-vehicle effects (beyond the strobes they've got now) and you can really bring this ride up to a quality attraction as it was when it first opened.

Take it further by updating the Starspeeder 3000 to perhaps a Starspeeder 4000. Modify the exterior, create a new loading video showing the vehicle being prepared for boarding, and for everyone's sake get rid of those "this is what we though the future would look like in the 80s" hairdonts from the pre-flight video.
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    The only problem with going to one of four destinations is if some of the adventures are better than others and/or if people have clear preferences to some over others. I mean, you don't want to go on the ride hoping for the icy adventures on Hoth and getting stuck with the bland, desert planet of Tatooine.

I'm all for multiple destinations, but I worry about this issue should each adventure not be equally enjoyable.
    Everyone will always have a personal favorite... just hope the Directors don't stack the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by JK020489 View Post
    Star Tours II ideas have been beaten over the head so many times its past being old. but if no1 has mentioned whats wrong with this idea is that some unlucky guest will keep getting the same exact one and get pissed at the cm's, ppl would ask for a specific one and cm's couldnt promise anyone what they would get.
    I would prefer the concept of "random" but they could also go with a cycle which would allow the CM's... and sadly savy Guests... to figure out the pattern and plan accordingly.

• Hillbilly Philosopher

Good News:

It would be very easy to add two new destinations to the ride.

Bad News:

They would be Flight to the Moon and Mission to Mars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12