Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roger Rabbit

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Re: Roger Rabbit

I didn't notice her sexual appeal as a child. She was my favorite because she was wearing a purple dress in the pin I saw (I was... six? Maybe younger). Oh, and of course I soon connected her to the ride, which I was VERY happy I had my own dressing room.

So I don't think that children are so interested in her sexual appeal as much as other things (her name and hair color excited me).

I really do wish I could see more of Roger. He's a sweetheart in my opinion.
    And all this talk makes me want to watch the movie.

And I want that plush.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I think a lot of individuals see a conflict between the Disney "family" brand and the blatant sex appeal of Jessica Rabbit. These days most of the female characters have questionable shirts etc... but Jessica was initially drawn in that fashion and ended up on the cover of Playboy... not what one would expect from a family brand!

The other aspect could be that it was a joint venture... IMO Roger was better because of the different characters in ToonTown.
    Yes, Jessica Rabbit does have the blatant sex appeal.
    BUT too many people have stopped short with her quote:
    "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

In response to that, I'm going to quote Roger:

Oh, "PPPPPPPPPPPlease!" (but sarcarstic this time)
    Jessica's blatant sex appeal doesn't stop at
    "the way she way drawn". Drawing must also include the
    way she dresses and moves flirtatiously. But drawing doesn't
    include the way she talks or sings. And that puts Jessica
    over the top.

As for Roger ~ Partially created by Steven Speilberg, who
    also moved over to Warner Brothers and revived their
    animation Department with Tiny Toons and Animaniacs.
    Roger appears to be more zany than most other Disney
    cartoons, but also encompasses the emmotion that is so
    completely missing from Warner Brother cartoons. So that
    pushes Roger into more of the Disney Camp. Then consider
    who Roger claims is pure genius. That character is Goofy.
    So that unites him with Disney, even further.

I'm glad that Stephen Speilberg got a chance to work with
    and update some new animated series and characters for
    Warner Brothers. I'm also glad that Stephen also got a chance
    to work with Universal Studios in Florida, as that has all
    enhanced both animation and theme parks ~ BUT I'm really
    looking forward to the day when Disney and Speilberg can
    work together on some additional projects. With Iger as CEO
    of Disney now, I think that is more of a possibility, once again.

• =)

I didn't notice her sexual appeal as a child. She was my favorite because she was wearing a purple dress in the pin I saw (I was... six? Maybe younger). Oh, and of course I soon connected her to the ride, which I was VERY happy I had my own dressing room.

So I don't think that children are so interested in her sexual appeal as much as other things (her name and hair color excited me).
    Very true. It doesn't get picked up on by the younger audiences, I'm sure. But it also can familiarize them with that sort of...er, imagery.

The Rabbit will return.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• "I Break Things"

Let me say, if I haven't already, that I have no problem with Jessica. I can see why some do have a problem and I already outlined that conflict. I, personally, love the era that Jessica reflects. The 1920's-1940's Jazz singer with a sultry voice, long flowing hair, and glittering sequin evening gown. They even did the "one eye" effect that you often times see in the movies. I enjoy it, wouldn't let my kids see it (little too young for that) and I remember several parents in the movie theater who were uncomfortable during the opening introduction between Jessica and Eddie! It is not what you expect from a family oriented brand like Disney... which was all I was saying.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Goofy

Let me say, if I haven't already, that I have no problem with Jessica. I can see why some do have a problem and I already outlined that conflict. I, personally, love the era that Jessica reflects. The 1920's-1940's Jazz singer with a sultry voice, long flowing hair, and glittering sequin evening gown. They even did the "one eye" effect that you often times see in the movies. I enjoy it, wouldn't let my kids see it (little too young for that) and I remember several parents in the movie theater who were uncomfortable during the opening introduction between Jessica and Eddie! It is not what you expect from a family oriented brand like Disney... which was all I was saying.

But still it was a good entertaining scene there. lol.

oh yeah..."Pattycake, PATTYCAKE!!!!!"

Roger was a Touchstone release but is owned by Disney. As for the Spielberg, I heard that Uncle John and him have talked recent. So who knows what will happen. I heard from soneone that there is a good chance at a revival of the charater.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I loved the Disneymania stage show at WDW. Roger came out and sang Supercali... He sat on a dancer's knee and told a little story in the middle. It was about how he said the word to Jessica and she replied, "Wanna play Scrabble?". Adorable.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Roger was a Touchstone release but is owned by Disney. As for the Spielberg, I heard that Uncle John and him have talked recent. So who knows what will happen. I heard from soneone that there is a good chance at a revival of the charater.
    Regardless of who actually released it Disney put it's full weight and marketing behind it. Because of Disney's backing a lot of individuals we a bit "shocked" at some of the scenes. Personally I liked the movie, and I have nothing against it. I know a lot of people who are pissed at Disney for riding the fence on this one. They have pins, figurines (Jessica one turned out SWEET), ornaments, all kinds of knick knacks... even an Attraction... but rare appearances of Roger.. if at all! While I can appreciate the complexity of the situation, many feel it is a copout because Disney has been content to cash in on the merch... if anything they have spiced up Tinkerbell to try and sell her off in a similar fashion!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Koubu Pilot

TDLFan or Joe in Japan can probably confirm whether or not Roger and Jessica both still appear in the Tokyo Disney Resort (especially since they do have more rare characters like Scrooge and Clarise appear).

I had a dream last night where Roger Rabbit was making appearances in Disneyland again, except his overalls were blue.

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

In my opinion, I see Tinkerbell as a more... sexual kind of character than Jessica.

I saw the movie when I was ten, and yeah, mom was a little... iffy when she found out. But curiousity got the better of me. Oh, and then she bought me it on DVD.

So I can see the parents view, and the child's view.

I loved Jessica Rabbit, and I won't be caught dead in something as... showy as her outfits.

Haha, I have ornaments, pins, a jewelry box, a hat, and a beach towel. I still don't dress or act like her. The patty cake scene DID surprise me, though. That was a tiny bit much for me.

I think a lot of individuals see a conflict between the Disney "family" brand and the blatant sex appeal of Jessica Rabbit. These days most of the female characters have questionable shirts etc... but Jessica was initially drawn in that fashion and ended up on the cover of Playboy... not what one would expect from a family brand!

The other aspect could be that it was a joint venture... IMO Roger was better because of the different characters in ToonTown.
    To me, personally they are more Fleischer than Disney. Fleischer cartoons were more for adults, and I belief Jessica Rabbit is highly inspired by Betty Boop.

The thing is that most studios nowadays ignore the Hays Code. Why can't Disney bend alittle? Look at some Pre-code cartoons, they are excellant.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Every time Roger (and Jessica.. ) are mentioned on MC the fans come out of the woodwork. It's great to see that I'm not the only Roger-sexual on MC!

PPPPPPPleeeeeese! bring Roger back to the Park!
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Every time Roger (and Jessica.. ) are mentioned on MC the fans come out of the woodwork. It's great to see that I'm not the only Roger-sexual on MC!

PPPPPPPleeeeeese! bring Roger back to the Park!
    There are alot of us. We need to write a letter to Steven. lol.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast