Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 107
  1. #16

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,969

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Exactly--not only the 'spooky' supernatural, but the spirituality associated with 'supernatural' experiences. Is this, to Disney, straying TOO CLOSE to religious commentary?
    I bring up TOT again. Perhaps they are not afraid of ghosts references but are steering away from Gods. Sacred Indian Burial grounds are more likely a thing of the past rather than Spirits.

  2. #17

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,278

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    What you say about BTMRR is absolutely true, and that, to me, is what makes it so puzzling: to change a backstory away from its supernatural origins, when it clearly is obscure to the common Guest--in fact, I would wager most do not even know BTMRR even has a storyline--so why change it? Weird.
    That is rather interesting. I'm curious as to where you heard the current backstory. The whole idea of "telling an imagineer" is incredibly sad and pathetic. I'm guessing not much thought went in to that one.

  3. #18

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,059

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Disney is NOT kicking out the ghosts. Tower of Terror perfectly illustrates this with ghost references throughout the queue and ride itself. I'm not sure about Expidition Everest but I think that may have supernatural overtones as well.
    Tower of Terror is a fantastically scary attraction--and possibly (along with Screamin') has carried DCA for years. The formula works, so why stray from it? Is it a factor that affects DL because of the massive attendance differential? Or do these alterations to DL's 'crown jewels' I have singled out in the original post truly represent a conscious effort to eliminate the dangerous 'supernatural' references where able, and to tone them down when there is no alternative? Or is all this coincidence?

  4. #19

    • Sugar & Spice
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pirate Island
    Posts
    1,173
    Blog Entries
    48

    Thumbs up Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I bring up TOT again. Perhaps they are not afraid of ghosts references but are steering away from Gods. Sacred Indian Burial grounds are more likely a thing of the past rather than Spirits.
    This is a great thread BTW...

    Ghosts in TOT are harmless and have no connection with any one specific God or religious/spiritual reference. Therefore this would make them benign though I can't say the same for the Haunted Mansion. For that attraction, I think they are shying away from the original ideals to make it a bit more palatable for the masses, which IMO is silly. It's haunted and supposed to be a little more scary. But I'm also not a 3 year old who has never been on the ride before.

    As to the original story for BTMRR, it seems that the original story could have offended some and to avoid future issues, they changed the story. This, obviously, could continue on forever until the story line is so dulled down that it becomes an unknown and really really lame.

    I feel that Disney wants to get away from any religious/spiritual references for the sake of the park. Didn't Walt not include any religious references in the park at the beginning? I think they may be taking that idea a little to far. Hell, maybe they are changing everything to keep shows shorter so that people are buying more stuff than enjoying rides.

    I have to say with the Tiki Room, being Hawaiian, I love the part where they have the thunder and lightening because the Gods are angered by all our celebrating. That's what we are doing! Celebrating! I haven't been to the park since November, but I truly hope they didn't take out that part. That attraction has been dulled down too much and I wish they would bring more of the original show back.

    /rant
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

    I AM THE REBEL SPY.



  5. #20

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,278

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Tower of Terror is a fantastically scary attraction--and possibly (along with Screamin') has carried DCA for years. The formula works, so why stray from it? Is it a factor that affects DL because of the massive attendance differential? Or do these alterations to DL's 'crown jewels' I have singled out in the original post truly represent a conscious effort to eliminate the dangerous 'supernatural' references where able, and to tone them down when there is no alternative? Or is all this coincidence?
    To me, it seems as if Disney isn't afraid of the supernatural, but rather they're afraid of mentioning Native Americans in any way that could be offensive.

  6. #21

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,059

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    I haven't been to the park since November, but I truly hope they didn't take out that part. That attraction has been dulled down too much and I wish they would bring more of the original show back.
    Still there. At least during Baxter's tenure, I doubt we will see any changes to the Tiki Room. He regards this attraction as 'sacred ground' and off-the-table when it comes to alteration. But all decisions are not up to him, I should add.

  7. #22

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,969

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Tower of Terror is a fantastically scary attraction--and possibly (along with Screamin') has carried DCA for years. The formula works, so why stray from it? Is it a factor that affects DL because of the massive attendance differential? Or do these alterations to DL's 'crown jewels' I have singled out in the original post truly represent a conscious effort to eliminate the dangerous 'supernatural' references where able, and to tone them down when there is no alternative? Or is all this coincidence?
    Very interesting. The BTMRR one is most perplexing. First off they never really focused on the storyline in great detail. Maybe that was part of the allure. Sadly we'll never know what Disney is really thinking, we can only surmise.

  8. #23

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,059

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    To me, it seems as if Disney isn't afraid of the supernatural, but rather they're afraid of mentioning Native Americans in any way that could be offensive.
    Could be. They are merely 'spirits of the mountain', and not an Indian Burial Ground, Gods, or Goddesses or anything that could be overtly 'offensive'. The decision to remove this cultural spiritualism was foolhardy, in my opinion, and ultimately unnecessary. Especially when we see no Pacific Islander uprisings concerning the script and presentation of the Tiki Room, where Gods and Goddesses are refereced directly by name, and given cartoonish appearance. Disney picks odd battles to fight, IMO.

  9. #24

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,969

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    I feel that Disney wants to get away from any religious/spiritual references for the sake of the park. Didn't Walt not include any religious references in the park at the beginning? I think they may be taking that idea a little to far. Hell, maybe they are changing everything to keep shows shorter so that people are buying more stuff than enjoying rides.
    I'd buy this thought, until I saw the Candlelight Procession. Disney's not afraid of Religion at all, just offending people.

  10. #25

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,662

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    This is so creepy

  11. #26

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,059

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'd buy this thought, until I saw the Candlelight Procession. Disney's not afraid of Religion at all, just offending people.
    And yet, we had thread-fulls of the 'offended' after the Candlelight Procession here on MC. At least Disney is not afraid AS YET of a religious celebration one day a year that one has to buy seperate admission to witness...but an everyday attraction? I dunno...I bet Disney has a cadre of lawyers on retainer JUST for religious discrimination/intolerance issues. But I have no way of knowing this for sure, it should be noted.

  12. #27

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,969

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    And yet, we had thread-fulls of the 'offended' after the Candlelight Procession here on MC. At least Disney is not afraid AS YET of a religious celebration one day a year that one has to buy seperate admission to witness...but an everyday attraction? I dunno...I bet Disney has a cadre of lawyers on retainer JUST for religious discrimination/intolerance issues. But I have no way of knowing this for sure, it should be noted.
    There's the saddest thing about it. We the consumers are paying more so Disney can consult with lawyers as to how not to offend people and how to handle complaints for this. I know this isn't the debate lounge but it makes me sad.

  13. #28

    • Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    14,688

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'd buy this thought, until I saw the Candlelight Procession. Disney's not afraid of Religion at all, just offending people.
    I will agree with that. The CP is easy for Disney because it is a one weekend event that then goes away. People who want to attend do so and the risk of offending is small because the audience self selects.

    Permanent attractions are a bit more tricking because a more diverse groups sees the attraction and it is basically a stationary long term target. 15M guests a year for 30+ years gives someone a chance to find offense in the smallest details. Plus there are plenty of pinheads, of all persuasions, out there that are willing to lead the charge of outrage for their own profit, be it monetary or acclaim.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

  14. #29

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,969

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    I will agree with that. The CP is easy for Disney because it is a one weekend event that then goes away. People who want to attend do so and the risk of offending is small because the audience self selects.

    Permanent attractions are a bit more tricking because a more diverse groups sees the attraction and it is basically a stationary long term target. 15M guests a year for 30+ years gives someone a chance to find offense in the smallest details. Plus there are plenty of pinheads, of all persuasions, out there that are willing to lead the charge of outrage for their own profit, be it monetary or acclaim.
    Great point MC.

    But it is encouraging even if the CP is for one weekend, Disney still says "to heck with it" and goes with traditions over people's feelings. And the CP is one glimmer of hope that Disney may be willing to stick to it's guns when it comes to nostalgia over political correctness.

    I'm not religious but I found the CP very touching. Being non-religious I could have been offended but I was able to see the true beauty of the event and realize that everything isn't about how I think.

  15. #30

    •   
    • Blind to His Own Faults
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near
    Posts
    8,059

    Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Great point MC.

    But it is encouraging even if the CP is for one weekend, Disney still says "to heck with it" and goes with traditions over people's feelings. And the CP is one glimmer of hope that Disney may be willing to stick to it's guns when it comes to nostalgia over political correctness.
    Agreed. And like I said--I'll never understand the choices that Disney makes when it comes to picking which battles to fight, and which to run from.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Millionaire Season 7: It's the illegimate child of "Play It!", "Super", and "Classic"
    By Monorail Man in forum Disney Media Networks and TV Industry Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 06:10 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 08:44 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 07:46 AM
  4. "IASW" in 2008, Combo ride"POTC" and "Raging Spirits" shelved, "MSEP" postponed
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM
  5. Have you seen "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" yet?
    By Disney Wrassler in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 12:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •