Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: "Exorcism at DL", or "The Unhappy Medium"

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Very true and good post HH.

This thread may be a perfect example as to why Frontierland always gets forgotten when it comes to new rides and attractions. Many things about the old west were not very PC. This includes, Whiskey, Can-Can-girls, shooting guns etc.
    Agreed. Walt's "hard facts" just don't fly anymore, I suppose. We apparently can't handle seeing our own History laid out before us because it just isn't 'fair' or 'equitable' (as if anything in life IS). "Hard truths" or "convenient delusion"? Which one would we choose, when a choice is offered? Some prefer pretty lies. In entertainment we have the luxury of this choice, but too often we think there is an option to 'hard truth' in situations where there is no alternative---and yet refuse to face them nonetheless.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

This thread may be a perfect example as to why Frontierland always gets forgotten when it comes to new rides and attractions. Many things about the old west were not very PC. This includes, Whiskey, Can-Can-girls, shooting guns etc.

It would be great if the Imagineers were able to bring some life back to Frontierland. It is a huge part of America's history and to be represented in a park that sees millions of visitors a year? More than one could ask for. But how do you make guns, can-can dancers and hillbillies PC enough for everyone to enjoy?

I really think that bringing back characters from history like Davey Crockett, etc would help... maybe make it in to living history/theme park.

Personally, I love my Disney ghosts and all the dark stories. Just a real part of Disneyland that you don't get to experience anywhere else.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Agreed. Walt's "hard facts" just don't fly anymore, I suppose. We apparently can't handle seeing our own History laid out before us because it just isn't 'fair' or 'equitable' (as if anything in life IS). "Hard truths" or "convenient delusion"? Which one would we choose, when a choice is offered? Some prefer pretty lies.
    I have to say that I think most of the world wants pretty lies. Makes their dulldrum lives easier to endure.

Give us color and ghosts and religious overtones to make something beautiful! Give us originality and faith in that which we love the most...

DISNEYLAND!

Ok, sorry. I was getting excited.

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

•   

This is a very relevant and interesting topic Fo'c'. I would not suggest otherwise.
    Just clarifying that your points were not off-topic, IMO

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    It would be great if the Imagineers were able to bring some life back to Frontierland. It is a huge part of America's history and to be represented in a park that sees millions of visitors a year? More than one could ask for. But how do you make guns, can-can dancers and hillbillies PC enough for everyone to enjoy?

I really think that bringing back characters from history like Davey Crockett, etc would help... maybe make it in to living history/theme park.

Personally, I love my Disney ghosts and all the dark stories. Just a real part of Disneyland that you don't get to experience anywhere else.
    I'll second that..

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

•   

Ok, sorry. I was getting excited.
    I wish more people got excited over the details in Disneyland--it would be a different place than we see today. It was much easier when someone who did get excited over the details was in charge, but he's been dead a long time.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

All you have to do to get upset about how far Frontierland has fallen is to go to Yesterland.com and look at the pictures, especially the Fort Wilderness pictures. While the pirates can be seen as the modern day equivalent of Davy Crockett by some the damage they have caused is immense. The back story for the pirates on TSI makes no sense, they are clean nice pirates with no mention of how they got the treasure in the first place and the worst sin IMHO is that they have made the fort unnecessary from a story standpoint. It is allowed to stand only as a cast bathroom and a F! holding pen. It is easy to forget how vibrant and rich the fort was.

And why has this happened, IMO it was at least in part due to the fact that the Tom Sawyer story dealt with certain subjects that Disney no longer wishes to confront. Injun Joe had to go. The fort is seen as an imperialistic symbol of the damage done to the native Americans. Now of course the Indians are peaceful and we all live in a state of mutual bliss and awe. This is the same mentality that rids the ghosts of their richness.

Do you think the Cannon on MS has enough range to hit the pirates on TSI? I'm just asking.

BTW sorry if I am stretching the topic a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

I wish more people got excited over the details in Disneyland--it would be a different place than we see today. It was much easier when someone who did get excited over the details was in charge, but he's been dead a long time.
    This thread shows how many people truly love Disneyland and want to see it thrive and become more than any of us can imagine. I take delight and happiness from everything in the park, because this is truly a special place and was meant to be special for all eternity.

Maybe our excitement over those little details in the park will transfer over to them who have the power to make change.

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Great post Swab. I still get excited over the details, granted Frontierland is not a passion of mine like others, but NOS and Tomorowland do that for me. It is sad to slowly watch all the details, and special things that DL started out having slowly go the way of the Buffalo. Maybe there not all gone, but, as far as effort being made to bring back the day of great detailing, i dont see much.

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    Stretch away Mouse. i think when no one responds anymore, than its stretched to much. See last page of "Trouble at the Turnstile" for an example. I may have reached at straws a little to much. Oh well, i tried to contribute in my own way.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Certainly not stretching the topic since it all leads to the same thing. Our ghosts and stories have been diluted for a broader audience who may take offense at certain parts. It's, sadly, unavoidable and a shame. But from here, where can they insert said "ghosts" and bring back a quality to the park that has been long gone?

That's the real question and a tough one. How to have our ghosts and not offend.

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

•   

'Hope springs eternal in the heart of a fool' as the saying goes. There is always the 'new regime', and maybe things will be handled differently in the future.

I'm kinda bummin' myself out. Sheesh. Disney still remembers how to entertain well, and if a move is made to re-examine thematic principles that support Walt Disney's original creative framework for each individual Land, 'Disney' won't just be a brand anymore, it will reflect back to the man himself---and that can't hurt.

• Minion

Was there ever more evidence of the original storyline for BTM in or around the ride? I have never heard either of those other BTM storylines before, where did they come from? I love the original storyline to BTM, and I would love to see it emphasized more.

I love the supernatural and dark themed rides, that is why I love Disneyland. One of the reasons that I am dissapointed with the DCA plans for the next five years, is the lack of any rides coming that have a dark theme. The Little Mermaid will have some darkness due to Ursula, but that won't be enough. Hopefully the second phase of DCA's 10 year plan will see something darker coming. The Tower of Terror by itself isn't enough.

Here are the attractions with dark themes in Disneyland:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    The Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Jungle Cruise (there are skeletions and refrences to death here)
    Splash Mountain (Brer Rabbitt is at risk of being eaten)
    Snow White (The witch is trying to kill Snow White)
    Mr. Toad (the ending is in Hell)
    Alice in Wonderland (the Queen wants your head cut off)
    Matterhorn (there is the Yeti)
    Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin (Dip kills cartoons)
    Pinnochio's Daring Journey (boys turn into donkeys)

As you can see, many rides at DL have dark themes and elements to them, and DCA desperately needs more dark themes and elements.

•   

Not a stretch at all. This thread was meant for all of us to examine the way DL has contorted itself over the years to avoid pressure (or the fear of pressure) from social backlash (whether real or perceived). Frontierland, and TSI are stellar examples of this. 'What the audience will buy', is replacing 'What can we sell them'. The 'safe' route is too often traveled lately IMO, and I would like to see some change in DL. I suppose DL is much harder to gamble with than DCA, or Animal Kingdom, or Parks overseas; but it is there in those Parks that we see amazing things. DL is perceived to be just too big a risk, IMO.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    As you can see, many rides at DL have dark themes and elements to them, and DCA desperately needs more dark themes and elements.
    I think that having some dark themes is good, but we can't get away from the fact that Disney is not a dark place. Disney just has the ability to present darker themes and stories in a tone everyone can understand... at least they have in the past and I am hoping they will continue to do so in to the future.

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast