Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• ... the Axis of Awesome

Re: Taking the World of Tomorrow into the future

Saving Tomorrowland is probably the hardest job, simply because nobody knows what Tomorrow looks like. Therefore it is the job of dreams. But these days, it seems to me, many dream about what was or what never will be (fantasy) as opposed to what is.

But for fun, let's imagine the future:

First and foremost, we discover cold fusion. The dream of neverending energy is real (likely, no, this is a dream). However, suppose a corporation wants to steal the formula to keep charging tons of money for fossil fuels? Could a ride really be based on rescuing a fusion formula, driving through a winding chase down the freeway in our futuristic car while helicopters fly over us, we dodge traffic and other cars try to knock us of the track. While driving we're frantically trying to upload the formula to the internet, and occasionally we lose the signal when forced into a tunnel. I picture something like a long "Test Track" designed to look like a Freeway at night, passing futuristc buildings along the way and weaving in and out of traffic. At the end, the formula is on the internet, the cops show up just in time to nab the bad guys, and the future of energy is secured. The giant show building is made to look like a skyline, think New York, New York in Vegas with futuristic buildings, where Autopia is.

Second, we have built an underwater city. We are visiting said city when it's attacked by a sea monster. We walk through as power fails, tank walls collapse, leaks rise and water threatens us all. We then have to board an escape sub and get to the surface, dodging this mighty beast and floating debris. I picture a walk-through first half, followed by a motion simulator. Picture this where Buzz is.

Third, rather than streets we have canals as the major thoroughfares in some cities. People park outside cities themselves then take a small hovercraft (aquatopia) from the parking area into the downtown. There is less crime, robberies, pollution (these are electric boats) and concrete baking the city and more cool waterways, etc. I picture building a city on the lagoon (bye bye Nemo) while we aquatopia our way through the canal system.

Fourth, travel to the stars is within the layman's reach. We get to pilot space shuttles. Astro Oribitor and Space Mountain remain (Astro moved up top again), but are changed to fit a new theme. Think like Macs and Ipods., sleek whites and aerodynamic designs. Minimalist looks on everything.

Fifth, mass transit in general has improved. The resdesigned people mover is back, along with an enclosed skyway. The bright colors are again more like the blacks, silvers, whites and metallic look gives them a feel of fast. The skyway has a fine but strong mesh netting and heavier care to discourage throwing things or shaking the cars.

We walk through a space station on Mars. Nothing in particular happens, we just enjoy thrilling vistas, a Sand storm, and view robots doing research. This space fills up Starcade and HISTA (via an escalator) with fake windows on the world.

Innoventions is a fine idea, they just update it more often and people can see a not-far-off tomorrow.

Finally, Star Tours opens up flights to Naboo and Coruscant as well as Endor. Like an airport, you must find your terminal and wait to board. Allows people to enjoy Endor without a long wait, while people reride to try the other two destinations.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan. -- John Lasseter

Crap, I killed the thread again. This has happened twice now and I only have 24 posts.
    I guess I should argue more or say things like "Tomorrowland is great, let's never change it ever again" if I want feedback.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Whatever 'vision' is decided upon it will certainly be an uphill battle. Consistency in design is essential to a 'futuristic' look IMO. The symmetry, the cohesiveness, and the unity of the original TL will be difficult to replicate with all the numerous additions and design changes that have left the Land with an identity crisis. We see terrific cohesion in other Lands: Adventureland, Fantasyland, ToonTown, MainStreet, NOS...even lowly Frontierland has consistent architecture:

As mentioned by others, much less short of a bulldozer party may be interpreted as a 'half-measure', unfortunately...

• Knight that says Nee!!

Tech Skip for Tomorrowland president!

True, you pick a vision and go. I'd merely focus on energy and transportation because it's easier to make rides/attractions based on these concepts. Plus we can make some fun guesses, although that's what makes us think there'll be flying cars in 2015.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Let's just let him be Critter Country President--his speeches are too long for the crowds.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Thank You. As the name implies I have one foot in the tech door and another in the realm of the Skip. Odd combination really.

As to Swab's bulldozer comment. I believe that while the look and feel of the Land enhances it, the attractions set the tone. If the attractions are lackluster, or lack a centralized theme then no amount of technology, embellishments, enhancements, or paint will cover that up
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Whatever 'vision' is decided upon it will certainly be an uphill battle. Consistency in design is essential to a 'futuristic' look IMO. The symmetry, the cohesiveness, and the unity of the original TL will be difficult to replicate with all the numerous additions and design changes that have left the Land with an identity crisis. We see terrific cohesion in other Lands: Adventureland, Fantasyland, ToonTown, MainStreet, NOS...even lowly Frontierland has consistent architecture:

As mentioned by others, much less short of a bulldozer party may be interpreted as a 'half-measure', unfortunately...
    Great post, and I whole-heartedly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    As to Swab's bulldozer comment. I believe that while the look and feel of the Land enhances it, the attractions set the tone. If the attractions are lackluster, or lack a centralized theme then no amount of technology, embellishments, enhancements, or paint will cover that up
    The problem is that Disney is uninterested in thematic continuity when it comes to new attractions. That doesn't mean that just because the theming inside the buildings is broken, that the theming on the outside should be as well.

I have big issues with the presence of Buzz Lightyear, Star Wars, and Nemo in Tomorrowland. Their stories have no place in the World of Tomorrow, however, if they can, at the very least, blend in properly with their surroundings, their anachronistic nature can be less obtrusive.

That isn't to say, though, that these attractions shouldn't be drastically re-thought and re-imagineered just because a new facade can give them the appearance of belonging.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Great post, and I whole-heartedly agree.

The problem is that Disney is uninterested in thematic continuity when it comes to new attractions. That doesn't mean that just because the theming inside the buildings is broken, that the theming on the outside should be as well.

I have big issues with the presence of Buzz Lightyear, Star Wars, and Nemo in Tomorrowland. Their stories have no place in the World of Tomorrow, however, if they can, at the very least, blend in properly with their surroundings, their anachronistic nature can be less obtrusive.

That isn't to say, though, that these attractions shouldn't be drastically re-thought and re-imagineered just because a new facade can give them the appearance of belonging.
    Well the most notable problem is the difference in both signs, and facades... which goes back to my initial point about lack of a centralized theme among attractions. Example... there are a lot of Storefronts in Frontierland (sorry Swab not much else there), they are all different colors and different signs but in a sense they match. Now look at one side of Tomorrowland... then the other... everything is jumbled like a gradeschool Picasso.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Well the most notable problem is the difference in both signs, and facades... which goes back to my initial point about lack of a centralized theme among attractions. Example... there are a lot of Storefronts in Frontierland (sorry Swab not much else there), they are all different colors and different signs but in a sense they match. Now look at one side of Tomorrowland... then the other... everything is jumbled like a gradeschool Picasso.
    Agreed. Facades, signage, and color schemes all need to be cohesive - they are in every other land. Why is Tomorrowland being allowed to be so disjointed?

| | |

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Agreed. Facades, signage, and color schemes all need to be cohesive - they are in every other land. Why is Tomorrowland being allowed to be so disjointed?
    I think it is because no one can define and articulate a coherent theme that be rendered in concrete glass and metal. I think Tomorrowland is also handicapped by the past when it was heavily dependent on corporate sponsorship deals that wanted their own look and signage and corporate identity proudly displayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

If glass and stainless steel are too ambitious for a Disney theme park, then I think Disneyland could do well to take inspiration from Hong Kong Disneyland's Tomorrowland.

I haven't been, but from photos I've seen the overall design of this land appears to be cohesive while presenting a fanciful and interesting "futuristic" look. My only suggestion would be to make it look like somebody lives here.

Why does nobody live in the future?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

| | |

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I think Disneyland could do well to take inspiration from Hong Kong Disneyland's Tomorrowland.

I haven't been, but from photos I've seen the overall design of this land appears to be cohesive while presenting a fanciful and interesting "futuristic" look. My only suggestion would be to make it look like somebody lives here.

Why does nobody live in the future?
    See my signature John Edwards, seems to think we just might.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• =)

Ah...Tomorrowland. SO much potential. So, so much potential. Ummmm...

A lot of good things have been pointed out--the public's supposed current disinterest with an idealized future, the likely need to periodically refresh the land, the expenses involved, the amount of space, et cetera. Here's what I think.

Temporarily ignoring attractions, I think we can agree that there are a number of things that make Disneyland's most successful lands so...well, successful.

* Unified visual prettiness. Trees and foliage help. And while architectural tastes vary a lot, very few people will look at the facades of NOS or Main Street and say, "Wow, that's ugly."
    * The feeling that it is a real place. A European village. Part of the French Quarter. And so forth. It's not a theme park, and it's not even an exhibit. It's a real place.
    * The sense that this is a place where wondrous things happen on all scales, from the grandiose and mindblowing to the intimate and charming.

Tomorrowland can accomplish all of these by creating a unified visual aesthetic, one where every object or structure has a perceived "real world" purpose. I also firmly believe that contrary to popular belief on this site, there are timeless visions of the future. Some of the special effects in the original Star Wars trilogy may look dated, and the cameras and hairstyles may scream "late 70s/early 80s" in some parts...but look at the design. Does it seem ANY less futuristic now than it did then? Other franchises often do similarly good jobs of maintaining futuristic credibility over time. The things that give it away are usually small, replaceable items like computer displays and so forth.

Committing to a trend is a good way to earn a "dated" status within a few years. Going too bizarre is a good way to lose people. So if I were working at WDI or TDA, my strategy with Tomorrowland would be to create a not-terribly-unconventional view of the future, one that aims for at least a hundred years from now and isn't terribly preoccupied with being 100% realistic. It needs to be a fantasy of the future. Keep the big, expensive stuff timeless, and allow the things that are hip--the things that temporarily seem cutting-edge--to take small roles that are easily replaced.

Do not lose hope for Tomorrowland. It has the potential to become a huge power player. Heck, it already is, thanks to a few really high-quality attractions (Space Mountain and Star Tours, though the latter is aging) and some newer ones that...well, that are effective marketing ploys for today's audience. There is still hope.

• "I Break Things"

I was thinking about this and I know we all have posted concepts before. Someone mentioned plant life and that made me think of Jungle. Anaheim didn't have anything even close to vines... so Bill planted walnut trees upside down and let the roots grow! Where am I going with this?

There are plenty of Desert plants, like the Yucca, that look extremely bizarre. Then you toss in things like bird of paradise and red banana trees which would add color but look equally strange. With the right combination of plant life you could add a very "alien" feel with minimal effort. You also have this massive crater with Astro in it... but some strange "farm" concept all around it... doesn't make a lot of sense. It would be better to either get rid of the crater, or toss the farm. I would toss the farm. You could then "fence off" smaller areas on the ground in Tomorrowland . Add a recessed "planet surface" possibly large craters, or a water feature bubbling. This would also be a chance for AA droids, or scouts etc. Again I'm rehashing a previous post and there is not a lot of effort here. Most scream about wanting the old Astro back, and back where it was before. I like that thought for two reasons. #1 the current incarnation is UGLY and #2 it creates the worst bottleneck in the park. so that is my brief 2 cents on exteriors. Like I said there is a lot more on Mice Chat.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast