Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Taking the World of Tomorrow into the future

I honestly don't see how glass and sweeping curves are any more futuristic than stucco, submarines, 3d movies and pizza. I'm also excited for the day we all have a big granite ball floating on water on our front lawns. Tomorrowland might not be your future, but I sure do look forward to it.
    I wish I never had to leave this magical place.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beamway View Post
    II'm also excited for the day we all have a big granite ball floating on water on our front lawns.
    You mean you don't have one??? C'mon, get with the times!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Beamway View Post
    I honestly don't see how glass and sweeping curves are any more futuristic than stucco, submarines, 3d movies and pizza. I'm also excited for the day we all have a big granite ball floating on water on our front lawns. Tomorrowland might not be your future, but I sure do look forward to it.
    Then I'm very, very sorry.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• "I Break Things"

Consider this a dedication to "I hate just saying something sucks". Because to me merely complaining about something is pointless unless you can offer a viable solution... so

http://www.adspacenetworks.com/index.php Aspace Network... in most Westfield shopping centers including MainPlace Mall not far from Disneyland. 8ft tall enclosures with 65in plasma screens in portrait format. Capable of running full motion video display, and bright enough to be seen outdoors. Pop a few of these in Tomorrowland, throw up the classic DL Tomorrowland Attraction posters with actual movement... and watch everyone go "Oooooooh ahhhhhhhhH"

http://www.clearchanneloutdoor.com/p.../don/index.htm Need something bigger to cover one of those ugly buildings? How about a Digital billboard. Several sizes and shapes. More importantly it can be seen in direct sunlight because it is LED's! Also you can stream video, real time content, or just change everything on a whim.

http://www.crestron.com/products/sho...&model=TPMC-8X Granted you could go with AMX but this looks a lot better IMO. This thing is a beast, Wifi, Biometric fingerprint scanner, XP embedded... worth the read. They also have both tabletop and wall docking stations for it. Put a few of these in Innoventions!
    Last edited by techskip; 01-22-2008 at 01:57 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science....ap/index.html
    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/07/cool_idea.php Need to keep Innoventions cool somehow... try using a melting ice system instead of conventional A/C.

http://www.dwell.com/peopleplaces/profiles/3764552.html Need a more "earth friendly" home... look no further.

It would be only fitting to have displays featuring the various X-prizes. http://www.xprize.org/

Then of course I would also fight for free WiFi within Tomorrowland, also having kiosks with cams so you can take a snapshot and email grandma and grandpa back home! Possibly be allowed to send 30sec video clips depending.

So... ummm.. yeah Disney how about actually putting something Tomorrowish in Tomorrowland.
    Last edited by techskip; 01-22-2008 at 02:09 PM.

• "I Break Things"

I'll post more eye candy when I have a chance.

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post

So... ummm.. yeah Disney how about actually putting something Tomorrowish in Tomorrowland.
    Seems like all those suggestions (creative ones, I'll readily admit) are really more today than tomorrow, IMO. A kiosk that emails pictures? Most cell phones can do this easily, and fits in the palm of your hand. WiFi? McDonald's has WiFi installed in many locations. The mere presence of plasma billboards in everyday places such as the Mall should preclude them from even being considered in TL, IMO. I suppose it comes down to our ideas surrounding the concept of 'Tomorrowland'. Having even more of today's technology showcased seems a waste of time and resources to me. I prefer a fantastical, optimistic view of the FAR future--a storybook future, if you will. In short, I likey the robots, jetpacks, flying cars and rockets to the outer reaches of our galaxy. WiFi, recycling, edible landscaping, plasma TVs and dual-pane energy-efficient windows don't excite me much (but are still elements in a realistic future--I'm just not sure I wanna pay to see one) .

• ... the Axis of Awesome

For me, Tomorrowland is about one major concept: Where the problems of today have been solved for the ultimate benefit of humanity. That means we have solved overcrowding, pollution, hunger, disease, gridlock and war. So if Tomorrowland were reimagined along those lines, with space stations and ocean floor research labs, mass transport and clean gardens and water I'd be happy with that look of a utopia.

Fitting in rides is what makes it tricky seemingly, some ideas don't lend themselves to the best rides/attractions. For my ideas on that, see page 3 of this thread.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan. -- John Lasseter

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Techskip View Post

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science....ap/index.html
    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/07/cool_idea.php Need to keep Innoventions cool somehow... try using a melting ice system instead of conventional A/C.
    Heck, this one is simple - all they have to do is find some space near the Disneyland and DCA and DTD and DL Hotel Chiller Plants for the ice tanks. A little plumbing presto-changeo and...

You do know they already have a Cogeneration plant at the DL Hotel, right? Big natural gas run engine that gives them electricity, air conditioning chiller, and water heating from the waste heat.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• "I Break Things"

you still must consider the fact that the technologies of tomorrow are based on the research of today, and nothing is modern about stale old technology that most shopping malls and a McDonalds can beat!

you still must consider the fact that the technologies of tomorrow are based on the research of today, and nothing is modern about stale old technology that most shopping malls and a McDonalds can beat!
    Wait--I thought you were lobbying to have those same technologies featured at the Parks:

Then of course I would also fight for free WiFi within Tomorrowland, also having kiosks with cams so you can take a snapshot and email grandma and grandpa back home! Possibly be allowed to send 30sec video clips depending.

Did I misunderstand (which is always a distinct possibility)?

•   
    • Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Which of course is why focusing on technology will always be a losing proposition for Tomorrowland. It would be better to embrace the possibilities of the future as a theme rather than as a product demonstration. Of course I little or no idea of how to accomplish this so I am of little use in this endeavor. Then again the Disney people in charge of TL don't seem to be doing so well either.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    Of course I [sic] little or no idea of how to accomplish this so I am of little use in this endeavor. Then again the Disney people in charge of TL don't seem to be doing so well either.
    And it should be noted that I consider myself useless in this area as well.

• "I Break Things"

The free Wifi was a convenience of today and considering you can email your picture from Buzz... why not make it a standard for all attractions in Tomorrowland. As to the kiosk comment I was thinking more along the lines of the oldschool photo booths that for a fee would allow you to print or email! Just thought it would be cool.

Presenting Tomorrowland as a theme of the future is not an impossibility, it just requires the technology of today, the creative inspirations of tomorrow, and a little smoke... mirrors... and magic! I was also waiting for a comment on the concept cars...

•   
    • Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

As to the kiosk comment I was thinking more along the lines of the oldschool photo booths that for a fee would allow you to print or email! Just thought it would be cool.

Presenting Tomorrowland as a theme of the future is not an impossibility, it just requires the technology of today, the creative inspirations of tomorrow, and a little smoke... mirrors... and magic! I was also waiting for a comment on the concept cars...
    Ok the photo kiosk stuff will work people like it, I put it in the category of a lot better than the big wet marble, fun and money for Disney.

The concept cars also work because concept cars in general are usually upbeat presentations. Nobody with brains does a concept car that looks like a 1970 Datsun sedan.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast