Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• ... the Axis of Awesome

Re: Taking the World of Tomorrow into the future

A little science fiction mixed with science fact allows an attraction (or display) to still capture imaginations even when the tech is 'antiquated' looking.
    I agree with this, it's that pleasant mix of reality/imagination that makes it fun. WiFi is cool, but there is nothing fantastic feeling about it either. So, yeah, mix in the implausible and plausible to make an experience.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan. -- John Lasseter

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Very true--it is almost a blank canvas to work with, creatively speaking (little harm can actually be done)--the trouble I see with this principle is, too soon would 'today's technology' turn into the just the thing we have now: the status quo. I was merely lobbying for something with a little 'staying power'--nowadays some tech is obsolete when it hits the shelves. A little science fiction mixed with science fact allows an attraction (or display) to still capture imaginations even when the tech is 'antiquated' looking.
    I completely agree, I feel that we should direct it to where we are going while remembering where we have been. As to "keeping things current" that is why you want more then just one company displaying products. Competition brings out the best in electronics. Switching out the concept car every month also encourages others to change. IF Disney could get a few press releases in Innoventions that would definitely kickstart a few things. I'll toss more on when I am on Lunch.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

The subject of Biorobotics is one of the things that definitely interests me. It is the opportunity to advance the field of robotics, while making a dramatic difference in everyday lives as well. This is something that is often times overlooked by the majority of the public. While it is a sensitive subject, I feel it deserves a spot in Innoventions. Mainly because it highlights advances in both Medicine and Robotics. The research alone has lead to breakthroughs in a variety of other fields.Articles are really self explanitory. I recommend the last one specifically if you do not read any others.

First up, some new feet.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0501151726.htm

Then we can go into the math behind brain waves and how to control them.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1003130747.htm

What about how cell phones relate to prosthetics
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1116102326.htm

How about allowing the blind to eventually see through robotic eyes?
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0823120008.htm

When in need... add a little rocket power
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0820130638.htm

Amazing how an Elephant's trunk can inspire a robotic limb
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0706140906.htm

Everyone loves a good Monkey story!
    http://www.switched.com/2007/11/29/m...-via-internet/

This is a another one on sensory feedback, pretty fun read.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0426214806.htm

These two explain how it works. The bottom link is a real time application of this technology, labeled 6 Million Dollar Woman. VERY INTERESTING read.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1111182522.htm
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...=1965&ito=1490

Like I said I do not believe that Innoventions should be purely one company sponsor, or purely one scientific field. I feel it should be dedicated to the forward movement of science for the benefit of human life. Granted it isn't Luke Skywalker's hand... but we're getting there.

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Furthermore, if Disney wants even more inspiration for Tomorrowland, they should give majority shareholder and board member Steve Jobs a call. Apple is no stranger to technology and the future -- his company's products not only offer quality and technological breakthroughs, but the Company knows how to design some truly beautiful products and retail locations.
    I second that! Apple is also a good example of a company who pulled out of a recession. It is worth it to note that when PCs became popular, and the one machine to own, Apple went dormant for a while but when they came back alive, Apple proved to have better, more efficient and savvy technology. WDIs could surely use a lesson in this.
    I suffer from infantile thoughts of grandiosity

• The one, the only...

I feel that the key to bringing the future to Tomorrowland is to show guests things they HAVE'T seen. I think that visiting aliens would be a great idea that would add some fun for kids and parents. How about the home of the future with aliens in it? Or a look at how the typical alien family lives. I know that this is science fiction, but so was a trip to the Moon in Walt's day.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelluh View Post
    I second that! Apple is also a good example of a company who pulled out of a recession. It is worth it to note that when PCs became popular, and the one machine to own, Apple went dormant for a while but when they came back alive, Apple proved to have better, more efficient and savvy technology. WDIs could surely use a lesson in this.
    Knowing the industry on a personal level I think I can say this. Apple found a gap, and created a niche market. In order to survive they capatolized on two specific areas, stable platform and media rendering (photo and video). The stable platform ensured that it wouldn't crash when using massive amounts of resources dedicated to the graphic arts. ANYONE who has had a pc crash while rendering will tell you how much fun that is. Specifically it was this ability that created a market for Apple. Eventually they clawed their way back into competition, but they are still a long way away from conquering the commercial market. Iphones are great, don't get me wrong, but the business market and the gaming market are still mainly pc... and those have remained resilient for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I feel that the key to bringing the future to Tomorrowland is to show guests things they HAVE'T seen. I think that visiting aliens would be a great idea that would add some fun for kids and parents. How about the home of the future with aliens in it? Or a look at how the typical alien family lives. I know that this is science fiction, but so was a trip to the Moon in Walt's day.
    Aliens would be cool if they could be made to be believable. The problem with modern movies is that their graphics have raised the bar beyond what Disney has thus far been able to create.

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Aliens would be cool if they could be made to be believable. The problem with modern movies is that their graphics have raised the bar beyond what Disney has thus far been able to create.
    I think that should be rephrased to:

"...beyond what Disney has been given the opportunity to create."

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    How about the home of the future with aliens in it? Or a look at how the typical alien family lives. I know that this is science fiction, but so was a trip to the Moon in Walt's day.
    The physics of getting to the moon widely known by 1955. The idea of actually getting to the moon was well underway by 1955. The space race was the accelerator that made it a part of the national consciousness and thus exploitable in Tomorowland. But I do understand and agree with the point you are making.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Well certainly science fiction is an exploitable field for Disney as far as entertainment value goes. Science fiction doesn't quite fit the ideal tomorrowland theme but since after all these years no other viable option is out there it cannot be worse, and would probably be far better than whats there now. The nice thing is that some of the best rides in Tommorowland would work in the Science fiction theme. HISTA would be a perfect venue for a new science fiction movie.

Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    I think that should be rephrased to:

"...beyond what Disney has been given the opportunity to create."
    No a lot of the best science fiction out there not only defies physics it defies CGI abilities to recreate it so IMHO Skips comment stands as pretty accurate. And I think it best if we don't stretch too far in exploiting the most far reaching weirdness of science fiction, good solid producible science fiction can serve the park well for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    No a lot of the best science fiction out there not only defies physics it defies CGI abilities to recreate it so IMHO Skips comment stands as pretty accurate. And I think it best if we don't stretch too far in exploiting the most far reaching weirdness of science fiction, good solid producible science fiction can serve the park well for years.
    I realize you didn't mean it in this fashion, but this is kind of the way I see Tomorrowland. I feel it should be a combination of cutting edge and dream. A place where we show where we are going, and bring hope to the next generation that will see us get there, and go farther. Having this mix would be incredibly interesting. A real blend of fantasy and reality... look at the biomechanics articles I posted, or the digital billboards. EVERYTHING we dreamed up in the past 50+ years is starting to trickle into reality. I feel it is time to show off a little, and inspire people to dream even bigger.

I agree it's time for Tomorrowland to start looking toward the real visions of the future of this planet and beyond. Where is the edutainment?

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lyons View Post
    I agree it's time for Tomorrowland to start looking toward the real visions of the future of this planet and beyond. Where is the edutainment?
    Throw some ideas out, we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    You make very valid points. I considered this as I was writing the OP. Ultimately, and perhaps I'm too idealistic or impractical to take this stance, but Disney needs to, after 53 years, realize that Tomorrowland is always going to be problematic.

Instead of fighting the problem, it could potentially be a good idea to embrace it. Giving Tomorrowland more frequent updates and replacing attractions more often would be a good way to keep crowds coming to Disneyland, considering the park has fewer and fewer options for expansion.

Also, my suggestions for inspiration mean nothing - they're merely suggestions. Disney, being the wildly creative company it has been known to be, can create their own brand of futurism that could potentially last longer. I think taking a Discoveryland or Tomorrowland '98 approach to the Tomorrowland problem is a cop-out and Disney can do much better.

Also, the Walt Disney Concert Hall's final design was unveiled in 1991, after being worked on by Frank Gehry since 1988. The Concert Hall itself finally opened to the public in 2003. I think even today, in 2008, some 17 years after the design being initially unveiled, its style, sweeping curves, and stainless steel are still highly evocative. I think, so far, it has stood the test of time, and this style can lend itself to a futuristic setting like Tomorrowland. But that's my opinion, of course.
    There's a ton of very cool futuristic architecture going up around the country. Chicago is home to Gehry's Millenium Park stage area, and Calcavettrichia (I murdered that spelling) is doing the Spire which is one of the more interesting pieces I've seen.

Architecture is a part of any concept for Tomorrowland, but what about actual projections? I remember reading something on the Reimagineering website once about visions of the future being overwhelmingly pessimistic in film and in SF, and that none of those types of visions mesh with any concept for a Disney Tomorrowland. So what does? When Tomorrowland was built, it was forward looking, but now we're "when" it was looking at, and there isn't nearly as much positive futuristic vision in our real life and in art, either.

I was also thinking about the progress that we've seen...it's been mostly (for the common person) in the entertainment field. Even the computer and the internet can be labeled "entertainment"... As far as what we drive, what we eat, what our jobs are, well, doctors still use scalpels (yes, they use lasers and advanced imaging technologies among other things), carpenters still build houses with wood and nails for the most part, and our cars are still gas powered. Our food looks a lot like it did 50 years ago, maybe prettier but not too many changes to a good steak or pork chop or an Italian dinner...we can't just dial up dinner, and pills come out with all the nutrients, not to mention the pleasures, gained by chowing down a regular meal...

Does any future projection of technology in other areas besides entertainment have a place in a new Tomorrowland? I mean, is a hydrogen powered car a qualitatively different experience than a gas auto?

Sorry to get so longwinded. I'm an avid SF fan and an avid Disney fan and have thought a lot about this. Most of the suggestions talk about Tron-like projects. Tron was what? 25 or 30 years ago? Nothing new since then?

(having now read the entire thread, I didn't mean that the suggestions on THIS thread, but on other threads I've read bits and pieces of. Some interesting thoughts in the many posts since the post I responded to...)
    Last edited by Esdeebee; 01-31-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456