Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Imaginative Possibilities

Re: Hoping Jay Rasulo goes the way of Eisner...

Never beeing a big Rasulo fan myself I do agree in his departure, but more importantly it isnt him alone. It takes 2 to tango and this is a big dance. Primarily a faulty leader can be the demise, but the biggest contribution to that are those who stand still and allow the wrong to continue. The company as a whole has found new leadership, but what now needs to be done is a new found sense of pride in the work, and for all to protect it...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    Mr. Emmer's departure as head of day-to-day operations at the DLR will prove to be one of the few tactile results of Rasulo's policies that will actually be noticed by paying guests
    If Emmer was the head of day to day operations, then he must accept much of the blame when things go wrong. One poster said about he got involved when ride was down. Al said something about two workers in a restraunt talking and he phoned to find out why.

If I was in charge I would not ask about the two workers talking, I would be talking to the head of foods and asking why did your managers let this happen.

It sounds like he is a micromanager at best. A better question would if he is charge of day to day, why did he not have better people under him so this work would get done.

All this talk about money spent on travel is fine, but it really has nothing to do two CM's talking when they should be working. I know that many people here thing Emmer walks on water, but the truth is he was part of the problem.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    Riiiiiiiight.

I couldn't disagree with this more.

The sad truth is that as Jay Rasulo cranks out one bad decision after another, the parks will ultimately suffer for it.
    The truth is that if Rasulo's business decisions were hurting the park, the guest experience would suffer, the park would start to lose money, and eventually Rasulo and his team would be fired and out on the street.

And I don't mean that the guest experience would suffer in the MiceChat way.. but in an actual way. For example:

Al's update was spot on. How do you argue against the fact that in order to save a few bucks in the short term, they'll simply get by with TWO monorails, hence longer lines and no service whatsoever when they go down? And the rafts....they'll just get by with two?
    Have you seen the line for the Monorail when they're running two trains? Tops it has to be 10-15 minutes. I just don't see how it would be a wise investment to run a third train on the line, to cut down a wait time from 10 minutes to 5.

And until Al posted his article, have you ever heard ONE complaint that the line for the Monorail was too long and out of control? Same for the island, even with steady stream of people heading over there each day, I haven't heard too many folks complaining that they had to wait too long.

In a land where wait times average 60 minutes, waiting 10 minutes is nothing.

And if they can take those millions upon millions of dollars and invest it somewhere else that would actually have more of an impact, than why not?

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    If Emmer was the head of day to day operations, then he must accept much of the blame when things go wrong. One poster said about he got involved when ride was down. Al said something about two workers in a restraunt talking and he phoned to find out why.

If I was in charge I would not ask about the two workers talking, I would be talking to the head of foods and asking why did your managers let this happen.

It sounds like he is a micromanager at best. A better question would if he is charge of day to day, why did he not have better people under him so this work would get done.

All this talk about money spent on travel is fine, but it really has nothing to do two CM's talking when they should be working. I know that many people here thing Emmer walks on water, but the truth is he was part of the problem.
    I am in complete agreement with this. Emmer job was not to be out in the park fixing things, it was to make sure the budget priorities are properly set, maintenance projects are getting done on time and on budget, and most importantly making sure his preventative maintenance programs are set up properly and with the proper maintenance intervals. If the people under Emmer are meeting their metrics the park will be doing what it is supposed to do. And after all these years he should have mentored at least one person to step in, if he was the management GD everyone is making him out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The sad truth is that folks like Emmer and Ouimet just don't understand the way the Disney parks have to be operated in the 20th century.
    Yeah because Dick Nunis must not have understood it either considering Ouimet ran the parks off Nunis' policies. And who ran Nunis out? Oh yeah that was Eisner. You can say that Nunis retired but he pulled an "Emmer". He had way too many clashes over the crap Eisner was pulling. But you love Eisner don't you?

Where are the Eisner and Pressler windows on Main Street Mr. Liver? Seeing as they "understood the way the Disney parks have to be operated..."
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

And until Al posted his article, have you ever heard ONE complaint that the line for the Monorail was too long and out of control?
    I have - I'll have to go search for the post, but it was about a month ago in regards to a comment WALT made to Cicely Rigdon in the 60's. He was furious to see that they were running 2 monorails and demanded of Cicely "where's monorail yellow?". When she responded that she was a tour guide and had no idea, but would assume that since it wasn't very busy that day, they didn't need one, he yelled at her that busy wasn't the point and told her to make calls to get it on the tracks immediately.

[quote=MrLiver;2490414]
    somewhere else that would actually have more of an impact, than why not?
    I see your point, except that they are NOT investing the funds somewhere where they would have more of an impact. They aren't spending them to raise CM pay or to fix Tomorrowland - they're spending it on plastic clouds and weird looking gold stars to plaster on everything to promote a marketing campaign to people who are already IN the parks and STILL don't get what it is.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Heh heh heh!!!! good catch, aura!
    I just felt compelled to bring everybody up to speed, to the modern day, if you will. I mean it gives his argument slightly more merit... even though I disagree with the sentiment.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I think it's wrong to blame Rasulo for the culture at Disney. Afterall isn't Rasulo the same person that appointed Emmer and Ouimet to top positions in the first place?

The sad truth is that folks like Emmer and Ouimet just don't understand the way the Disney parks have to be operated in the 20th century.

If blame belongs anywhere, it belongs on our current society. Even with Eisner and Pressler gone, society dictates how current management views the parks, and certainly even if Rasulo and Iger were forced out, nothing would change.
    Ah, good ol' MrLiver. You never fail to impress.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

I can understand this.
    Society really is to blame.
    If the company is making a profit, they want to do something that will make more profit.
    Cut costs, right? It's smart for business, but it's also BAD for business. Do you think TDA is suffering? Heck no - sadly, very few guests suffer. The only time Disney guets ever seem to care if it's taboo (ashes, fat people, etc) - I wish Rasulo was gone, but simply getting rid of him isn't going to make things better - everyone must be good. I love it also how people say CM Matt was the greatest thing for the parks, but IIRC, the budget for all of the shaping up was approved BEFORE he came in as interim head. His job to me seems no different than Big Ed's - one just happened to have more presence in the parks and the other...well, has no presence in the parks.

Until the world of business stops screwing over the consumers, then I don't expect much to change.

• ... the Axis of Awesome

I don't know people in the corporate system. Mr. Liver may be right or wrong for all I know. So I won't attack or defend his post.

I will only agree with one thing: Why should management feel ashamed of themselves if they're doing a great job according to the big stats: attendance and revenue. Honestly, if I was running a t-shirt store that sold out every day I'd think I was doing something right too, even if people who bought my t-shirts made fun of them later. Sure, I'd still try to improve, but would have a lot less incentive to do so.

The point is, as long as Disneyland has record years and numbers, it's going to be hard to convince management that the park is really all that flawed. If DCA were pulling in the revenue they wanted there would be no change, despite all the complaints on the internet. People vote with their checkbooks.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan. -- John Lasseter

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    Finally Swab is correct, we are part of the problem, we accept DL for what it is and continue to attend then complain about what is wrong as we stand in line to go again. We accept the mediocrity that we so deplore. If you really want to make a statement to Disney include your annual pass, or whatever method you use to enter the park, in your next complaint.
    Some of us are part of the problem, but then everyone gets what some of us pay for, on average.
    Park operations budgets might be better off being tied to admission revenue, and let the food and souvenir profit centers be their own profit center. I mean, most people go to DL for DL. They don't go to DL for the food and souvenirs of DL.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPixar View Post
    I will only agree with one thing: Why should management feel ashamed of themselves if they're doing a great job according to the big stats: attendance and revenue. Honestly, if I was running a t-shirt store that sold out every day I'd think I was doing something right too, even if people who bought my t-shirts made fun of them later. Sure, I'd still try to improve, but would have a lot less incentive to do so.
    If you were running a t-shirt shop, would you create a pre-pay pricing scheme that lets people buy a t-shirt every day for a year for one fixed price? Maybe in the hope that they'll buy something else in your shop when they come?
    Would you then try to make the t-shirts as low-cost as possible, and make up the difference in the more expensive and other things you sell?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

I happen to like the YOAMD, it makes it a little more special and frankly it makes the cms pay attention to the guests more. No they shouldn't have to do it because of a contest, but it works. Rasulo's problem is he is running a division of disney without ever having worked at any of the parks. He may understand numbers but he doesn't understand the uniqueness of the product and to really do it right inho, you have to have at least put some time actually working at a park to understand how it runs and what needs to be fixed. Theme parks in general are very different environment than your average business these days. you don't make money at them most of the time( just ask six flags and cedar faire.) and jay doesn't understand that.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Some of us are part of the problem, but then everyone gets what some of us pay for, on average.
    Park operations budgets might be better off being tied to admission revenue, and let the food and souvenir profit centers be their own profit center. I mean, most people go to DL for DL. They don't go to DL for the food and souvenirs of DL.
    From a management stand point I would look at each separately and as part of a bigger picture. It makes no sense to look at foods alone if attendance is way down. Some have stated on this board that the gate should subsidize foods.

At this point attendance at DL is pretty well maxed out. There is some off season spaces that can be filled in a bit, but it would cost a lot to gain some, so I think they are probably well aware that attendance can't really increase much in the short term, at least the annual report seems to indicate this in statements regarding DCA as an engine for attendance growth and needs for more hotel space.

That leaves increases in food and trinkets to drive revenue growth in DL. So I would bet that over the next couple of years management is going to look at how to drive that growth.

Again that leaves us with the idea that the parks in the casual guest's mind is doing a lot of things right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPixar View Post
    I don't know people in the corporate system. Mr. Liver may be right or wrong for all I know. So I won't attack or defend his post.

The point is, as long as Disneyland has record years and numbers, it's going to be hard to convince management that the park is really all that flawed. If DCA were pulling in the revenue they wanted there would be no change, despite all the complaints on the internet. People vote with their checkbooks.
    Faulty analysis and reasoning.

By that logic Big Thunder Mountain was operating fine up until the moment that it killed someone when in reality the systems and processes that supported the ride and sought to prevent such incidents had already been damaged before the ride itself did.

But because the preventative systems hadn't yet reached a crisis point and had a consequence then everything was fine because park revenues were up.

The reality is that some things can fail a bit at a time and that aren't acknowledged or noticed until a crisis situation occurs. That may be the case with Disney's failure to invest in the infrastructure including people and things and spending money on marketing and (over)managing. We (and they) may not know until something breaks.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast