Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Hoping Jay Rasulo goes the way of Eisner...

The day Jay Rasulo leaves will be a glorious day. I hate him with a burning passion. He is an evil, soulless, and greedy DOM. Just look at his performance on the Disneyland: Secrets, Stories, and Magic DVD. People that run Disneyland, need to love Disneyland.

•   
    • Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    If you were running a t-shirt shop, would you create a pre-pay pricing scheme that lets people buy a t-shirt every day for a year for one fixed price? Maybe in the hope that they'll buy something else in your shop when they come?
    Would you then try to make the t-shirts as low-cost as possible, and make up the difference in the more expensive and other things you sell?

On the other hand the marginal cost per each additional guest is pretty low. So the analogy works only if the Tshirt store knows its costs, has a big enough statistical database to plan well, and has some sort of methodology for tracking the usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    If Emmer was the head of day to day operations, then he must accept much of the blame when things go wrong. One poster said about he got involved when ride was down. Al said something about two workers in a restraunt talking and he phoned to find out why.

If I was in charge I would not ask about the two workers talking, I would be talking to the head of foods and asking why did your managers let this happen.

It sounds like he is a micromanager at best. A better question would if he is charge of day to day, why did he not have better people under him so this work would get done.

All this talk about money spent on travel is fine, but it really has nothing to do two CM's talking when they should be working. I know that many people here thing Emmer walks on water, but the truth is he was part of the problem.
    Because the lines of business get the quality of employee that HR sends them and then they try to inculcate values into them with varying degrees of success because of what they are sent. It's not like that LOB managers get to interview and select their own employees. In this respect Disney is very unlike many businesses.

It remains an open question to what degree Emmer had any influence or control over such policies and practices or his own budget. He possibly had to work with the resources that other parts of the park and corporate management provided to him.

Yes, the buck stops (or ought to) at senior management but was he senior enough to fulfill his responsibilities to his own standards ?

• Minion

ORDDU: To the individual who claimed some of us are hypocrites for spending money on Disney products and theme parks--while at the same time complaining about certain Disney Company leaders, this argument makes no sense. It's like saying if you notice the faults of your Country's leaders and dare to express your displeasure with them, you should just keep your mouth shut and leave the country altogether. That's nonsense and not at all practical.

ORWEN: Yeah, it sounds like somebody had better go back to their drawing board and come up with a better argument.

ORGOCH: Got brains?

• ... the Axis of Awesome

Apologies if the t-shirt analysis was difficult to understand. My point was when people are constantly purchasing your product, you tend to believe you have a solid product. That's the attitude of the management team at DL, and until people stop paying for the product there is usually little incentive to change.

Faulty analysis and reasoning.

By that logic Big Thunder Mountain was operating fine up until the moment that it killed someone when in reality the systems and processes that supported the ride and sought to prevent such incidents had already been damaged before the ride itself did.

But because the preventative systems hadn't yet reached a crisis point and had a consequence then everything was fine because park revenues were up.

The reality is that some things can fail a bit at a time and that aren't acknowledged or noticed until a crisis situation occurs. That may be the case with Disney's failure to invest in the infrastructure including people and things and spending money on marketing and (over)managing. We (and they) may not know until something breaks.
    Your example of BTM is exactly why businesses don't change. BTM worked on and on and on, while underneath the safety systems were eroding. But on the surface it looked good, people kept riding until everything fell apart. Then there was change.
    People seem to think Disneyland needs a culture change at the top of the corporation, my argument is that why should the corporation think there's a problem until the consumer makes it clear? Until the park "breaks" what is the incentive to fix it? It's the same logic that led to the tragedy on BTM.
    This was the point of my original post, not that there is or isn't something wrong, but why the Disney corporation won't feel something's wrong as long as we wholeheartedly purchase the product. We need to break it if we want it fixed. But as long as all it takes is a redone Sub Ride to pack Tomorrowland, we get what we deserve.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan. -- John Lasseter

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, this is why my sisters and I are always expressing our opinions and pointing out flaws that we notice. And we do this to the company as well as right here on Mice Chat. But because there is still a lot RIGHT with Disney, we have no intentions of throwing out the baby with the Bath water. Instead we plan to stay and fight the good fight. If fans and guests just walked away, the company might fold--which is not what we want. We want to keep what's good and throw out what's bad. His name is Rasulo, although we're sure there are others just as bad--as yet--unnamed.

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: To the individual who claimed some of us are hypocrites for spending money on Disney products and theme parks--while at the same time complaining about certain Disney Company leaders, this argument makes no sense. It's like saying if you notice the faults of your Country's leaders and dare to express your displeasure with them, you should just keep your mouth shut and leave the country altogether. That's nonsense and not at all practical.

ORWEN: Yeah, it sounds like somebody had better go back to their drawing board and come up with a better argument.

ORGOCH: Got brains?
    Going to DL is a luxury, and need not be a necessary part of anyone's everyday life. To compare DL to the nation that you live in, and taxes you are required by law to pay is ludicrous.

Additionally, I was not criticizing anyone's right to complain. If you three would re-read my post carefully (or whichever one of you can read) you will see I was criticizing your labelling Liver as a "DOM". If one has serious issues with the way the Park is run, and the decisions it makes, and still supports the Park through revenue generation unconditionally, I don't see how they can call anyone else a "DOM" and not be a hypocrite. And yes, I have plenty of brains. Or were you asking me for a loan?

Don't make me go Dallben on you, Orddu. It's your turn to be Orgoch, anyway, witch.

There's nothing wrong with expressing views on flaws and hoping for change. But until attendance sags an money begins to slow you'll find changes to be few and far between. As long as the executives in charge are continuing to guide the park to record numbers and years, then you have to admit those executives will be entrenched that much longer. Your complaints about all the fat on the meat are less effective when you keep ordering the steak.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney

See Swabbie's post for a more blunt version of mine.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

No personal attacks, and name calling please.

Can't we all just get along?
    -Monorail Man

Sorry if seems like an attack, I was assuming Witches of Morva was a Chronicles of Prydain fan like myself. I am joking with her, I only called her "witch" because Orddu, Orwena and Orgoch were witches, and, well, um ...

Okay, so it wasn't that funny. But I also contend it wasn't really rude. Or at least not meant to be rude.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPixar View Post
    Apologies if the t-shirt analysis was difficult to understand. My point was when people are constantly purchasing your product, you tend to believe you have a solid product. That's the attitude of the management team at DL, and until people stop paying for the product there is usually little incentive to change.
    I think it was too simple of an analogy (I think that's the word you might consider using).
    The attitude of the management team is bad for the park. It might be great for the DIS stock price and the bottom line, and it would certainly be acceptable at Six Flags, but it means a trend toward mediocrity. If it's slight enough, the six million or so unique guests (multiple-use AP'ers don't get counted multiple times -- assuming an average of 15 days of use per AP) won't notice.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Well, this is why my sisters and I are always expressing our opinions and pointing out flaws that we notice. And we do this to the company as well as right here on Mice Chat. But because there is still a lot RIGHT with Disney, we have no intentions of throwing out the baby with the Bath water. Instead we plan to stay and fight the good fight. If fans and guests just walked away, the company might fold--which is not what we want. We want to keep what's good and throw out what's bad. His name is Rasulo, although we're sure there are others just as bad--as yet--unnamed.
    I am in the same boat as the witches are. I would never give up Indiana Jones Adventure, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbena, Jungle Cruise, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Peter Pan's Flight. Alice in Wonderland, Roger Rabbitt's Cartoon Spin, Star Tours, and Space Mountain, just because I hate or do not approve of how the parks are ran today.
    However, I can gurantee that I will not buy YOMD merchandise, or merchandise associated with something I don't like.

•   
    • Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Lets also remember that none of us know who is doing their job well and who is basically drinking their lunch at their desk. IMO calling for the removal of the chairman of the parks and resorts segment because one senior level executive at one park left is a bit of a stretch.

I also think the overall population votes well with their feet. DL is packed while DCA could launch and recover small planes from its walkways without disturbing a single guest. If I was in management I could probably see were work was needed the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Sed, I was referring to the analysis made by the t-shirt store owner (in the analogy given in the first post) as to the quality of the product. That is all I was trying to compare, how the purveyor of a successful product is more likely to be less responsive to change then someone on the financial edge. The same reason Windows updates are slow and not that great, it's because they have such a chokehold and dominant financial position. There will be a lot less innovention until there is a some competing operating system or Windows falls flat. There, I hope that this analogy, dealing with corporate self-analysis, and the role of the consumer. Good night.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast