Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• Done waiting!!

Hoping Jay Rasulo goes the way of Eisner...

In light of Greg Emmer's early retirement from Disney and the recent update from Al Lutz regarding the circumstances surrounding his departure, it seems that Jay Rasulo is primarily at fault due to his implementation of a needlessly convoluted management hierarchy permeating the "Disney Parks" (with less emphasis on the international parks only partly owned by the Mouse). Mr. Emmer's departure as head of day-to-day operations at the DLR will prove to be one of the few tactile results of Rasulo's policies that will actually be noticed by paying guests. Clearly Rasulo needs to be shown the door and sent to the Gap, CNBC, or some other corporation looking for washed-out Disney execs. I just read the book "DisneyWar" on the rise and fall of Michael Eisner (and the rise of Bob Iger) and I admit I've become punchier when it comes to faltering Disney execs. The people trying to help the parks like Bob Iger, John Lasseter, and Tony Baxter deserve much better. While I don't pretend to have a shred of influence over the removal of Rasulo, how would you go about showing your dissatisfaction with his "Disney Parks" conglomerate and also how would you do a better job than he has done?
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Special Agent

Re: Hoping Jay Rasulo goes the way of Eisner...

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    In light of Greg Emmer's early retirement from Disney and the recent update from Al Lutz regarding the circumstances surrounding his departure, it seems that Jay Rasulo is primarily at fault due to his implementation of a needlessly convoluted management hierarchy permeating the "Disney Parks"
    I think it's wrong to blame Rasulo for the culture at Disney. Afterall isn't Rasulo the same person that appointed Emmer and Ouimet to top positions in the first place?

The sad truth is that folks like Emmer and Ouimet just don't understand the way the Disney parks have to be operated in the 20th century.

If blame belongs anywhere, it belongs on our current society. Even with Eisner and Pressler gone, society dictates how current management views the parks, and certainly even if Rasulo and Iger were forced out, nothing would change.

• A Weather Eye Open

The sad truth is that folks like Emmer and Ouimet just don't understand the way the Disney parks have to be operated in the 20th century.
    And why exactly to they "have" to be operated under a conglomerate system where hundreds of people are flying back and forth from California to Florida to attend meetings?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    And what evidence do you have that supports such an argument. While not perfect (the turnover rate is still extremely high) Ouimet, Emmer more specifically did MORE for Disneyland in the last five years than any of their predecessors other than Disney himself.

I believe that Emmer knew more about running a theme park than anyone alive today (since he's done it for so long). It was his life, his passion, and it showed in his work.
    Class of 2005...

• Circle of Ancients

I think they understood very well how to run a park in the 20th century. After all that's when Walt ran the park...

Now the 21st is a different scenario...

Blog Entries

You actually managed to post that with a straight face didn't you? Or are you really Rasulo in disguise? If this wasn't the best example of Sarcasm I've ever read, then please inform us of why Disney parks have to be run in such a garbled mess?

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Ignoring the 2nd post to avoid blowing up inappropriately on my birthday.

I've seen the Rasulo strategy in action and been personally screwed by it (it had to do with the Happy Haunts tour and WDW ops management somehow getting to veto what we did on the tour). In my opinion, it's the yes men that are making the corporate culture as bad as it is, not Rasulo all by his lonesome. Anyone can have a really bad idea (YOAMD); it only becomes a true problem when no one is willing to step up and say "excuse me, sir, but this is a bad idea AND it's not working." Eisner was a great and important first step, but there is still a lot of work to be done.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Minion

ORGOCH: Sounds like that MrLiver's nothin' more than a D.O.M., if'n ya asks me!

• Minion

I think it's wrong to blame Rasulo for the culture at Disney. Afterall isn't Rasulo the same person that appointed Emmer and Ouimet to top positions in the first place?

If blame belongs anywhere, it belongs on our current society. Even with Eisner and Pressler gone, society dictates how current management views the parks, and certainly even if Rasulo and Iger were forced out, nothing would change.
    Ah, correctness by assertion without explanation or justification.

Oh, god of all that is right and wrong with Disney, please enlighten us.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    Ignoring the 2nd post to avoid blowing up inappropriately on my birthday.
    Happy Birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Ah, correctness by assertion without explanation or justification.

Oh, god of all that is right and wrong with Disney, please enlighten us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORGOCH: Sounds like that MrLiver's nothin' more than a D.O.M., if'n ya asks me!
    While it is an overly-simplistic view, Liver is correct about the culture's response to the management style: which has been overwhelmingly positive, if attendance numbers are to be used as a measurable standard (and it seems this may be the only standard being used). This unconditional reinforcement of what some see as undesirable changes, and corporate 'greed' is the feedback Disney listens to most: the bottom line. Bottom line good=everything good.

Until Disney fans are willing to exercise self-restraint, why should Disney even think about changing their strategy, or the kind of management decisions and personnel currently active in Park operations?

Characterizing Liver as a DOM, in my opinion, is hypocritical, if one is still giving their money to Disney hand over fist; giving direct or indirect approval to the installation of yet more perceived 'mediocrity'.

All should acknowledge their role in what the Park is now, compared to what it used to be. Some even think it's better. But better or worse, consumers dictate which way the wind blows at the Park, and within management, IMO. Need proof? See DCA. Proposed $1 Billion to recapture your interest and approval.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    I think they understood very well how to run a park in the 20th century. After all that's when Walt ran the park...

Now the 21st is a different scenario...
    Heh heh heh!!!! good catch, aura!

The way Rasulo's currently managing isn't good for last millenium,
    and it's not good for the current one, either.

( Do you know if Cynthia is teaching classes on sofa paintings?)

• I'm not really here

I think it is ridiculous to say that this is how things have to be run nowadays. You don't have to do anything a certain way. Just because 99% of the companies in the world do things that way does not mean it is the best way. And for Disney, this isn't the best way. As we have seen.

It seems to me that there are two types of people to look at here. There are those who are interested in investing heavily in marketing and promotions and short term schemes to drive attendance for attendance's sake. It is an interest in "filling quotas" that motivates this type of person. This type of person usually spends their time worrying that unless they are pushing to get higher "numbers" they aren't going to get promoted or keep their job. It's all about "numbers." This usually translates into how can I look like I'm investing, but really save as much money as possible? That's why any investment goes into marketing and promotions as they tend to be cheaper in the long run.

The other type of person, while they are interested in keeping their job, is not focused on that. They are doing their job because it is something they love. It is not just a job for them. This type of person is interested in investing heavily in the park, the infrastructure and the people. These types of investments can be incredibly costly and they are long-term. They don't show immediate results and the risk can often times be substantially larger than with short-term investments. However, the benefits from this type of investment are HUGE. It is this type of investment that people are referring to when they talk about "quality of show" and "details". This is the type of investment that Walt Disney was interested in. This is why Disneyland started out with a million dollar budget and quickly ballooned up to 17+ million.

Jay Rasulo fits into the first category of people. Greg Emmer and John Lasseter, Tony Baxter, they all fit into the 2nd group.

Another difference is how farsighted people are. Businessmen, who tend to make up the bulk of the 1st group, rarely have a talent for looking very far down the road. A couple years perhaps, but to look down the lifetime of something requires artists and people who seriously love what they do, the 2nd group. (Of course there are always exceptions to these generalizations. But in general, these things hold true).

I don't think Jay Rasulo's department is wholly useless. I think that the way it is set up and currently functions is useless. I think that the decision making power for the various theme parks should reside entirely in the hands of the resort presidents. A resort president should be someone who knows that park. Has experience with it and a vested interest outside of "making money" in the park. Putting the individual resort presidents in charge of their resorts will give each resort back a uniqueness that this global department has robbed them off. It is this uniqueness that drives tourism outside of a region. (Seeking to homogenize the resorts means that I have absolutely no reason to go to Florida at all and they have no reason to come to California, or Tokyo, etc.)

Jay's department needs to be drastically scaled back and assume an "information collection/dissemination" role. The department would become one that keeps track of what each park is doing, where it is going. This information would be made available to all of the parks as well as to Bob Iger and other Board Members. This department, in effect, becomes a central hub for information about the parks. They do not have the ability to make decisions. There would need to be an accountability wing of this department as well though. Individual parks would have their operating budgets and the newly redesigned parks and resorts department would keep track of budgetary items and hold individual parks accountable for costs, overruns, etc.

I think it would also be a good idea to require, yes require, that all park executives spend at the very least 2 hours a week actually IN the parks they preside over. The executives need to stop looking at paper and look at the real thing in operation. They would have a much better understanding of how to run the parks and what they need if they get out and see it with their own eyes instead of relying on reports and statistical analysis. They should spend time with ride operators just watching how things actually work. It should even be required that they go in "civilian plain clothes" so that they blend in and see what it is really like. I think many of them would have a vastly different opinion of how things are going after a few visits. It would put management back in direct physical touch with the parks.

Obviously this is not a complete plan, just some ideas that I've had for a while. But I think that as a basis it could work and help things improve. It would put the decision making power back on the ground with people who care. And it would put some care into the people that hold onto the money as well as they would be in direct touch with the parks as well.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I would like to also add that the same corporate structure that is derided so much on Mice Chat is also the source of much of the financial power that the parks are able use. The structure is complex because the Corporation is complex and huge. The parks and resort segment of the corporation generated $1.7B of income on $10.6B of revenue alone. this is no longer Walt's little company. Because of the size of Disney as a whole they are able to commit to a long term plan of spending in the neighborhood of $1B per year on capital improvements. Lets remember that the Sub refurb cost at least 10 times the amount spent building DL in 1995. Even adjusted for inflation the subs refurb cost more than the entire original park. None of this would have been possible if the Disney were not a huge corporation.

The parks are spread out around the globe so travel is now a way of corporate life. DL is never going to be run as a little park ever again. In all honesty there are really very few years in the 50+ year history of the park when it was in overall great shape. the first 5 years of the park were a mess and consisted of plenty of empty space. The Matterhorn was the one big ride for most of the sixties HM showing up late in the decade. DL hit its stride in mid 1970's. In the 80's many things started to disappear and the park as we know it today began to appear. From here most of you can fill in the rest of the history.

My point is that the park has seldom been the perfect place that many make it out to be. Could it be better, yes. Could the money be spent more wisely, probably. Could more money be spent on the park, sure, everyone wants more and it would be lovely to have backups to everything so that Disneyland was spot on 24/7/365 with no breakdowns, no shutdowns and no thematic errors.

And one other thought , I bet Rasulo has to make more decisions everyday than most of us have to make in a week, and all his decisions involve more money than most of us will make in our lives.

Finally Swab is correct, we are part of the problem, we accept DL for what it is and continue to attend then complain about what is wrong as we stand in line to go again. We accept the mediocrity that we so deplore. If you really want to make a statement to Disney include tour annual pass, or whatever method you use to enter the park, in your next complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Riiiiiiiight.

I couldn't disagree with this more.

The sad truth is that as Jay Rasulo cranks out one bad decision after another, the parks will ultimately suffer for it. Al's update was spot on. How do you argue against the fact that in order to save a few bucks in the short term, they'll simply get by with TWO monorails, hence longer lines and no service whatsoever when they go down? And the rafts....they'll just get by with two? And on crowded days, when they could use two or three hundred bodies or so on the island, no one will be able to get there because one of the rafts is down?

It's just shoddy management.

And as for marketing.....

DISNEY PARKS??? Are you KIDDING me? This has to be the single most moronic idea that has ever come from a Disney suit. Let's just market all of the parks as one and stick a generic logo on a sweatshirt.

Stupidest.

Concept.

Ever.

Jay stinks.

(In my own humble opinion, of course. )
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 01-18-2008 at 11:04 AM.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I think it is ridiculous to say that this is how things have to be run nowadays. You don't have to do anything a certain way. Just because 99% of the companies in the world do things that way does not mean it is the best way. And for Disney, this isn't the best way. As we have seen.

It seems to me that there are two types of people to look at here. There are those who are interested in investing heavily in marketing and promotions and short term schemes to drive attendance for attendance's sake. It is an interest in "filling quotas" that motivates this type of person. This type of person usually spends their time worrying that unless they are pushing to get higher "numbers" they aren't going to get promoted or keep their job. It's all about "numbers." This usually translates into how can I look like I'm investing, but really save as much money as possible? That's why any investment goes into marketing and promotions as they tend to be cheaper in the long run.

The other type of person, while they are interested in keeping their job, is not focused on that. They are doing their job because it is something they love. It is not just a job for them. This type of person is interested in investing heavily in the park, the infrastructure and the people. These types of investments can be incredibly costly and they are long-term. They don't show immediate results and the risk can often times be substantially larger than with short-term investments. However, the benefits from this type of investment are HUGE. It is this type of investment that people are referring to when they talk about "quality of show" and "details". This is the type of investment that Walt Disney was interested in. This is why Disneyland started out with a million dollar budget and quickly ballooned up to 17+ million.

Jay Rasulo fits into the first category of people. Greg Emmer and John Lasseter, Tony Baxter, they all fit into the 2nd group.
    I am not so sure about all your inclusions in the second group. While they may have the desire I am not convinced on there ability of execute. . Lasseter did not show me much with the plusses to the subs, and the budget overruns cost DL some much needed money as shown in Al's column. The DCA upgrades are heavily dependent on Pixar films which has been debates ad nausem on this board, but I am in the camp of "for the money they should be able to do better". I also think Tony Baxter while capable, but he is no friend of proper theming. While both show that they care, their actions so far have not reached the potential of the rhetoric. Lasseter deserves more time, but I don't expect great things from Mr. Baxter.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast