My family and I were discussing around the dinner table last night - trying to get out of the post Disneyland trip blues - maintenance details at the park that you notice while you're standing in line, or right after a ride is over, or whenever.
This isn't meant to be some nit-picking, anal retentive, whining thing - just some little things that you notice, and that pop into your memory. Stuff that might need to get fixed on the next refurb, maybe. Or maybe send the maintenance guys out with a few more nails & paint brushes. Its only because we love the place so much - and these are little things that help keep detracting from the "magic" (Long lines and crowds do enough of that already...)
Who knows: Maybe someone at DisneyCorp will read this thread...
Here's some of the stuff we came up with:
1. The lights on Main Street, especially on the train station. Lots and lots of burned out bulbs. Maybe the light-bulb changing staff was on holiday. It used to be the bulbs were changed as a group, before their expected lifetime was up - but it looks like the strategy now is to wait and replace burned out bulbs? I know on the afternoon of January 4 while it was raining, they gave up trying to keep the Xmas tree and wreath's over Main Street on, as about half of those gave up. But on the rain-free nights there were still a lot of un-lit lamps.
2. A lot of, if not most, of the wait queue railing vertical spindles in Fantasyland (the wooden architectural rails, not the chains, silly) are loose and wobbly to some extent. Some are split and need to be epoxied back together. Some even have splinters starting, down low at little kid height, especially over by Peter Pan. Some have been nailed down again, but perhaps the nail is working loose... A detail like those spindles would take a lot of engineering in itself, seeing how much use it sees everyday. They have to look right, but be indestructable. The indestructable part is a little lacking still...
3. The plastic plants on the roofs over Snow White / Peter Pan etc. are very faded and tired looking. They gotta go. And the wad of junk on the roof over PP really needs cleaning up also...Leaves, spider webs,cup lids, balloon strings, and pieces of Castle Xmas decorations are wedged up here and there on the roof, tucked in along where the shingles meet the rooflines. I know it was windy, and maybe the cleaning crew hadn't hit that spot yet...but the Spider webs looked like something from the HM <Laughing>.
4. For as long as I can remember, at the end of Pirates of the Carribean when you get hauled "up" the waterfall back to the real world ("Falling up the waterfall", as Walt put it), there is water cascading down on either side of the boat. Cool. But on both the left and right sides at the top, you see these ugly copper water pipes and flare nozzles hanging out in the open. Would it be kind of neat if these were disguised somehow - like water flowing out the bottom of two ornamental planters, or maybe worked into the decor and theme of the building a bit better?? How about gold coins flashing in the water every once in a while - kind of like the firefly effect...Just one last little neat effect to look at while you're coming up out of the ride building.
5. Standing in line in the Haunted Mansion extended queue area, looking down into the lower stairway from the emergency exits, we are treated to a view of ladders, rags and hoses. Maybe it was temporary and not put away yet, but the guests do notice junk laying around.
Again, this isn't a whining thread, its just little details that might need tweaking on the place you love...
What's on your list??