• Disneyland TechnoWeinie

Smile What's your list of detail tweaks?

My family and I were discussing around the dinner table last night - trying to get out of the post Disneyland trip blues - maintenance details at the park that you notice while you're standing in line, or right after a ride is over, or whenever.

This isn't meant to be some nit-picking, anal retentive, whining thing - just some little things that you notice, and that pop into your memory. Stuff that might need to get fixed on the next refurb, maybe. Or maybe send the maintenance guys out with a few more nails & paint brushes. Its only because we love the place so much - and these are little things that help keep detracting from the "magic" (Long lines and crowds do enough of that already...)

Who knows: Maybe someone at DisneyCorp will read this thread...

Here's some of the stuff we came up with:

1. The lights on Main Street, especially on the train station. Lots and lots of burned out bulbs. Maybe the light-bulb changing staff was on holiday. It used to be the bulbs were changed as a group, before their expected lifetime was up - but it looks like the strategy now is to wait and replace burned out bulbs? I know on the afternoon of January 4 while it was raining, they gave up trying to keep the Xmas tree and wreath's over Main Street on, as about half of those gave up. But on the rain-free nights there were still a lot of un-lit lamps.

2. A lot of, if not most, of the wait queue railing vertical spindles in Fantasyland (the wooden architectural rails, not the chains, silly) are loose and wobbly to some extent. Some are split and need to be epoxied back together. Some even have splinters starting, down low at little kid height, especially over by Peter Pan. Some have been nailed down again, but perhaps the nail is working loose... A detail like those spindles would take a lot of engineering in itself, seeing how much use it sees everyday. They have to look right, but be indestructable. The indestructable part is a little lacking still...

3. The plastic plants on the roofs over Snow White / Peter Pan etc. are very faded and tired looking. They gotta go. And the wad of junk on the roof over PP really needs cleaning up also...Leaves, spider webs,cup lids, balloon strings, and pieces of Castle Xmas decorations are wedged up here and there on the roof, tucked in along where the shingles meet the rooflines. I know it was windy, and maybe the cleaning crew hadn't hit that spot yet...but the Spider webs looked like something from the HM <Laughing>.

4. For as long as I can remember, at the end of Pirates of the Carribean when you get hauled "up" the waterfall back to the real world ("Falling up the waterfall", as Walt put it), there is water cascading down on either side of the boat. Cool. But on both the left and right sides at the top, you see these ugly copper water pipes and flare nozzles hanging out in the open. Would it be kind of neat if these were disguised somehow - like water flowing out the bottom of two ornamental planters, or maybe worked into the decor and theme of the building a bit better?? How about gold coins flashing in the water every once in a while - kind of like the firefly effect...Just one last little neat effect to look at while you're coming up out of the ride building.

5. Standing in line in the Haunted Mansion extended queue area, looking down into the lower stairway from the emergency exits, we are treated to a view of ladders, rags and hoses. Maybe it was temporary and not put away yet, but the guests do notice junk laying around.

Again, this isn't a whining thread, its just little details that might need tweaking on the place you love...

What's on your list??

• =)

Re: What's your list of detail tweaks?

5. Standing in line in the Haunted Mansion extended queue area, looking down into the lower stairway from the emergency exits, we are treated to a view of ladders, rags and hoses. Maybe it was temporary and not put away yet, but the guests do notice junk laying around.
    Wait, what? Which area are you talking about? The trench next to the extended queue, the door in that trench, or the door in the shedlike structure attached to the back of the mansion facade itself? Was one of these doors left open? Lucky bum! I would have been snapping pictures like crazy! It's terrible show, yes, but fascinating nonetheless.

EDIT: Oh, and back on topic, the only thing that really bugged me maintenancewise on my last trip was Space Mountain. Its exterior is looking so sad and dirty, or at least it was a month ago.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Oh, and back on topic, the only thing that really bugged me maintenancewise on my last trip was Space Mountain. Its exterior is looking so sad and dirty, or at least it was a month ago.
    In addition to the sad exterior (which in my book looks like some motorbikes rode up the side of the mountain), the interior queue is absolutely disgusting as well. It looked like a combination of dust, mud, sand and white puke covered the floor, and it wasn't in just one spot either - it was like that all the way through the queue, the loading station, and up the stairs and through the exit. It was like that New Years Day and two days after that. Jolly Trolley and I went to City Hall and told the nice CM ladies, and they said that is indeed bad show and that they would call Custodial (who knows if they really did). It was looking better the last I saw it, but I just got a text from MG last evening and he said it is a pigsty again.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• =)

When I was there in mid-December, I didn't notice the interior grubbiness, but I could have just not noticed it or it could have been a product of the December rush that began the next day.

• Disneyland TechnoWeinie

Wait, what? Which area are you talking about? The trench next to the extended queue, the door in that trench, or the door in the shedlike structure attached to the back of the mansion facade itself? Was one of these doors left open? Lucky bum! I would have been snapping pictures like crazy!
    Dang, Sorry DataM, I didn't discover this site until after we got home...What an idiot I was. I didn't have my camera that afternoon, but I won't be caught off guard next time <Laughing>. We were going to go back later, but it didn't work out.

In answer to your question, it was in the trench, outside the closed door - which I think, by your super-cool 3D work, was described as one of the e-exits. The door would lead towards under the RR tracks, with the berm covering the RR tunnel overhead. As you'd be standing in line in the extended cue, if you were looking at the berm, with the HM to your right, the trench would be left of you. It looked like someone started to put stuff away, but just left everything there, in a big mound of junk...Like I have around my house <Ugghh>.

• =)

Wow, the stuff was just left in the trench, huh? That's too bad. Doesn't usually happen, though. I've walked through there many times, and the only place I've seen stuff left around was at the southernmost end of that trench, near where it meets up with the FastPass gazebo area. And there wasn't much there.

• Minion

Yeah I've rarely seen trash in that trench but I know what you mean. As I go through the HM or and Queue for that matter I pick up small amounts of trash as I walk through. As a cast member, if i had an opt task I would take a broom and bucket and walk the attraction exterior and queue and tidy things up.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

When I was there in mid-December, I didn't notice the interior grubbiness, but I could have just not noticed it or it could have been a product of the December rush that began the next day.

I was there the week before Data and did not see the grubbiness that has been much discussed on this board, I have got to think that the Christmas extended hours were not kind to the park. I bet that in a couple of weeks the park is back in great shape, well until spring break.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

That isn't a "trench", that's an emergency exit walkway.

And I can see a bit of trash getting blown or thrown down there and not cleaned up, because it's not regularly travelled - but storing stuff in an exit hallway is Absolutely Verboten!

You can throw some "stuff" down there for a few minutes if a maintenance project goes long and the park opens in 15 minutes - and it has to disappear NOW. But you still have to stack it neatly off to one side to leave a path open, and then get a few people to carry it off backstage ASAP. Stack it out behind the building, or in a storeroom.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

The dirt/dust in Alice and Wonderland's queue on the leaves.
    Last edited by angeladlr; 01-21-2008 at 10:01 PM.

I for some reason even after 40 or so visits over the last few years have never noticed or maybe focused on any of this 0_o
    But I guess I can understand some of it, like random trash accumulating in areas, I bet its just a matter of maintenance schedules.

• Minion

what bothers me is the overflowing trash cans around the park. sure it's a rare sight but come on where's a custodian when you need one!

angeladlr mentioned the leaves around Alice in wonderland, and I totally agree.However, I would add a few larger sized leaves. That part of the ride bothers me because your pulled out of the ride and placed back into semi reality. I saw photos of the original and the leaves were bigger and made it seem part of the ride.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

In my opinion, the most egregious example of negligence is the peeling paint on the outside walls of Soarin' Over California. The last time I was there, the paint was hanging off the walls in HUGE strips, like tinsel on a Christmas tree. Some paint strips looked like they might even be a full foot long, just dangling off the building and blowing around in the wind.