Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

On site or off site? What would you choose?

I'm stuck trying to figure out which would be better for my trip and I wanted to ask some resident experts.

Would you rather.

A. Stay offsite at the Anabella Hotel in a Concierge room?

or

B. Stay onsite in a tower room at the Disneyland Hotel?

There are a few major differences between them.

1. Offsite I get concierge, onsite I do not.
    2. Onsite I get the view, offsite I do not.
    3. Onsite I get the whole "Disney" experience but offsite I get concierge service.
    4. Offsite I pay about 1K less than staying onsite. (Money really isn't a factor here but I thought it would be worth mentioning.)

So what would you choose? I'm kind of torn really, convenience and the Disney experience without bells and whistles or a slight walk with concierge service and extra spending cash.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: On site or off site? What would you choose?

Offsite.

When you consider that for the same price as a resort hotel you can stay at a 5 diamond hotel along the coast IMHO it becomes apparent that the DLR reort hotels are way overpriced.

• Disneyland TechnoWeinie

Actually, its a shorter walk (or about the same) to some of the offsite hotels than DLR hotels, especially PP. For instance Marriot Fairfield Inn has some nicer rooms, about 7-8 minutes walk to front gate, and free parking for guests. The DLR properties do seem overpriced for sleep & a shower. Being able to walk to the park, I think, is a huge plus, if thats what you're there to do.

• no flash photography...

If money was no object I would stay at the GCH, but since. The DLH is ok, but nothing to write home about. Personally if I was staying more than one night I would stay off site and use the money for more fun things than a place to sleep and shower.

The hyatt and crowne plaza are way nicer than the disney hotels and with priceline they are about $50.00 a night.

I do like staying at the gch hotel though. It's very convenient and close to the parks and nice.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Thanks. I definitely want more than a sleep and shower, I don't mind paying more but I tend to want my moneys (monies?) worth, and since I'll be there for a week I want to make sure I'm comfortable. I looked at photos of GCH and I just don't think the decor is for me and it seems a little stuffy? I'd love to hear someone elses take on it, maybe I'm just not looking at it right. LOL

Keep them coming!
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 01-21-2008 at 08:16 AM.

• no flash photography...

The GCH is not disney in your face, which is one of the reasons I like it. It's very nice, the beds are to die for. They have robes in the rooms a balcony. We just love it. It's so relaxing to stay there.

However, I do know some people love being surrounding by everything disney.Kids would probably like DLH or PPH more, because there are a lot of disney stuff in the room.

Everybody prefers different things. I wuld never spend $300+ a night to stay a week at the gch. IMO it's not worth that much...which is why we got to other hotels a lot.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

If you're there for a whole week, why not mix it up a bit, so that in the future you have some personal references? Stay a few days OFFsite and then end your holiday ON site.

I used to stay offsite..HoJo..MarriottFairfield but once I dipped into the onsite hotels, I haven't been able to go back. My favorite is the Disneyland Hotel. I would stay there in a standard room w/ no view before I stayed in an offsite concierge room. I love the DL Hotel's location and immediate immersion into all things Disney. Out the tower doors and you're in Downtown Disney....it's great theming all the way.

I prefer the resort hotel beds and showers too. Nothing bums my vacation more than a spongy bed or bad water pressure. I also find the DL hotel a bit more insulated, no neighboring room noises to speak of. GCH is even MORE so.

And for me, money is not the main concern either. It's about having the most fun. And a Tinkerbell dusted room does this for me n' my clan.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

I love the onsite experience, but:

We usually stay at the Anaheim Hilton. Get the executive level and ask for a room with a park view. The hotel and the rooms are great. Executive level has cushy robes to wear, a nice comforter and better sheets, big towels for your shower, a larger tv, a stereo, a paper in the morning, and of course the executive lounge where you get continental breakfast in the morning and appetizers in the evening.

Now, the icing on the cake. Leave the park a half hour before the fireworks. Take a cab from the Grand Californian. Yes, it costs ten bucks, but you have just saved a grand by not staying on site. You can afford all the cab rides you want. Get to your room ten minutes before fireworks. Put on your big cushy robe, turn your couch around so it faces the window. Grab that nice comforter and snuggle up with your honey. The fireworks are fantastic from your room. You can even see Tinkerbelle fly (although quite small). When the works are done, grab the comforter and crawl back in bed, and turn your big screen tv on. You just saved yourself an hour of fighting strollers and sleepy kids who want to go home. I usually end up staying up half of the night just watching the lights on the Sunwheel and looking at all the beautiful buildings, the Matterhorn, Train Station, Space Mountain, etc.

Contingency plan...if you don't get a room with a view of the park, go directly to the executive lounge, order yourself a nice cocktail or hot cocoa, and enjoy the fireworks from there. You won't have your cushy robe on but you will still avoid the strollers.

Enjoy!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    If you're there for a whole week, why not mix it up a bit, so that in the future you have some personal references? Stay a few days OFFsite and then end your holiday ON site.

I used to stay offsite..HoJo..MarriottFairfield but once I dipped into the onsite hotels, I haven't been able to go back. My favorite is the Disneyland Hotel. I would stay there in a standard room w/ no view before I stayed in an offsite concierge room. I love the DL Hotel's location and immediate immersion into all things Disney. Out the tower doors and you're in Downtown Disney....it's great theming all the way.

I prefer the resort hotel beds and showers too. Nothing bums my vacation more than a spongy bed or bad water pressure. I also find the DL hotel a bit more insulated, no neighboring room noises to speak of. GCH is even MORE so.

And for me, money is not the main concern either. It's about having the most fun. And a Tinkerbell dusted room does this for me n' my clan.

Thank you, I appreciate this information. This will also be my 1st trip to CA and Disneyland ever, so I want to go all out but I'm trying to be conservative at the same time, I don't think that will work very well. LOL

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

And if you DO decide to stay onsite in the standard DL room....about 4days before your arrival, call the hotel back to see if any concierge rooms have opened up. Frequently people will book more rooms than needed and then bail out at the last minute (72hrs before arrrival) so's not to be charged. I've lucked into better rooms using this method. LOL last time a bunch of rooms were being held for the Urology convention....within a week of my arrival, all of a sudden I had my pick of room types.

If this is your first trip to this coast, I say GO FOR IT!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Look at the TripAdvisor Ratings for the Anaheim Hotels at this link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2...ia-Hotels.html

Also note the "Average Price" for each hotel at the link above. Now this price is a bit high, as you should be able to find a discounted rate, but it is a good tool to compare different hotels.

Second, what type of items are most important to you?
    The closest hotels to the Main Entrance Plaza are actually about 5 Motels on Harbor, with Park Vue Inn and the Best Western Park Place Inn being the 2 closest. These are not the finest places in Anaheim, but are convenient to access the park, and to return for breaks/naps, etc.

Want a ride to the Park entrance, well, the Candy Cane Inn, the Howard Johnson's on Harbor and the Paradise Pier Hotel are all about the same distance to the Main Entrance. Candy Cane Inn, a 2 story Motel (but very nice) has its own Shuttle. The Howard Johnson Hotel (nice grounds and pool area, but no meals or room service) is part of the ART shuttle service, while Disney expects its guests to walk to the parks (no tram service).

Many hotels/motels in the area offer free breakfast, parking and Internet access. The Disney owned hotels do not offer free food, and has a daily "resort fee" that covers parking and Internet access, and you pay it no matter what.

Do you want a larger room with a kitchen (that includes dishes and pots and pans)? There are many extended suite type of hotels, the closest is the Residence Inn Maingate, about 1 mile walk from the Main Entrance Area.

Want something more upscale and traditional, such as a Hotel with Room Service, check out the Sheraton's, Marriott, Hyatt, Crowne Plaza and the Hilton, and compare what these 3 and 4 star hotels offer as compared to the Disney Hotels.

And make sure and read the reviews of the hotels you are interested in, as different folks have different opinions.

And how about special requests such as a room with Bunk Beds, or just one King Bed (instead of 2 queens), at Disney, they never guarantee these types of rooms, they just make a note of it and will try and get you one, but no guarantees. Off Property, when you reserve that type of room, it is guaranteed, and if for some reason a room like that is not available, then the Hotel should make it up to you, by upgrading your room, or find another way to compensate you for their failure to deliver.

Also, note that the Grand California is having a major expansion on its South side, and a lot of construction is happening. The Disneyland Hotel is about to start a major refurb project, to update all its rooms.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Wow, thanks so much for the information.

I think paying that extra amount for parking/internet is ridiculous IMHO, especially if an offsite hotel gives it to you for free. However, I don't want to stay at your standard Hojo either. So I want something nice, that preferably includes the internet and is convenient to walk to the parks. I don't need a kitchen, I hardly cook at home, I'm not doing it on vacation. LOL

I don't need over the top nice, if I have to dress up to go to the pool that isn't for me. LOL I like comfort but not your average sleep and shower hotel.

I know everyone is staying at the Anabella Hotel this weekend, so reviews will be much appreciated.

• Minion

I love staying onsite. The only reason I would stay offsite is to save money, but if money is not object, onsite is better. The hotels make you feel like you have never left Disneyland, and if you have a theme park view it is very nice. I would love to have concierge service at the hotels, but it does cost extra. I have only stayed at DLH and PPH so I don't know what the rooms are like at GCH. If you pick either DLH or PP, both offer park views and the beds are really comfortable. Also you can wake up in the morning and go down stairs and enjoy a nice character breakfast at either hotel.
    Jeff Wayne

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

If money isn't an issue stay onsite. I love the DLH, great service, the rooms are huge, the pool is great and of course the Lost Bar is right there One of my favorite things to do is watching DTD empty out at night and fill up in the morning. It sounds lame but it's a great way to start the day and end the night

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Not sure if this would work out well for you... but if you are staying for a week it might be worth getting an AP and using the discounted rates for the hotel to stay onsite concierge. It would of course depend on the dates you are staying and everything but it could work out the better deal. You can call and check if the dates you want are available under AP5 or you could ask here about the dates and they can be checked online. Its only about $60 to go from 7 day park hopper to deluxe ap (again assuming the dates would not coincide with blackout dates, otherwise you need premium) and you could still use the early entry because you would be onsite. Also there would be discounted food etc. It might be worth whipping out the calculator for a few minutes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast