Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

DCA Expansion Phase 2

I know it is early to talk about it, and I know it will be based off the reaction of the first phase of expansion. Anyway, what do you think and hope will happen during DCA expansion phase 2? The park is unfortentaly quite landlocked. Carsland will likely take up all or almost all of the Timon parking lot. There unfortenately won't be much room for major expansion. My ideas are going to be controversial. I purpose that GRR, A Bug's Land (except for It's Tough to Be a Bug), Monsters Inc., Millionaire building, that big indoor restaurant by Monsters Inc., Pacific Wharf, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Seasons of the Vine, Bountiful Valley Farm, Mulhollnad Madness, Orange Stinger, Golden Zephyr, and Jumpin' Jellyfish all be eliminated. This would clear up a lot of land, where actual "Disney" attractions could be placed. They all don't have to be eliminated at the same time, but eventually these attractions will have to face the chopping block. In their place, I would like to see some attractions that are more original and risky than what we are getting for the 1st phase. I would like to see non-franchise based attractions, I would like to see all new ride systems introduced (like Indy did with the EVC and Adventures Through Inner Space did with the Omnimover). I want a ride that will go down in history as much as POTC, Haunted Mansion, and the Matterhorn have. I would like to see the Country Bears make a comeback in a glorious new 2 theatre facility. One theatre would cycle the original 3 shows, while the other would play the new show (thanks to whoever had that idea on another thread). Perhaps they could fit in good in the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail area. Where GRR is now, I would like to see a massive wilderness themed thrill ride.

• Minion

Re: DCA Expansion Phase 2

I'd definitely like to see the Country Bears return in some form to Grizzly River area (they would make a funny California Folk Festival revival - like the Grateful Dead or Mamas & Papas).

And bring Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey to the park...

I still think Mickey's PhilHarMagic should come to DCA (if not ToonTown).

An exterior representing Walt's Hyperion Studio should fit in nicely in the revived 20's Hollywood area (perhaps as a new Art of Animation facade?).

Finish the Hyperion Theatre Lobby.

A whole area dedicated to California's Spanish and Mexican heritage would be great. This should feature Zorro and The Three Caballeros, a marketplace, a mission, some great food and music. It isn't really California without this. It could bridge the wharf and the Cars area.

There should be an area, rides and restaurants dedicated to the Surfer fantasy of California - and Disney's connection to it (Annette, The Beach Boys, etc.). A surfing simulator would be incredible. And a better beach shack/tiki hut surfer hangout with fish tacos and such. Maybe this could be in the former mad mouse area?

The idea of a really nice San Francisco area would be great too, with a wild Herbie ride through the city - - plus a lovely area for dining and shopping.

How about a surreal B/W rubberhose Mickey, Minnie, Horace and Clarabelle attraction for the farm area? Have some wierd fun for a change!

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

I say build a Grauman's Chinese Theater and house a "Mulan" type stage show. (Is Mulan Chinese?) Anyway, then the theater could also be used for previewing upcoming Disney shows by building a drop-down screen similar to what was installed in the Opera House at Disneyland.

Other items that I'd like to see built are attractions based off of Alcatraz, earthquakes, and the gold rush.

...Joe...

• =)

Meh, leave DCA the way it is. That way, I'm never too tempted to pay for a park hopper.

Kidding. Well, about the first part, that is.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    I say build a Grauman's Chinese Theater and house a "Mulan" type stage show. (Is Mulan Chinese?) Anyway, then the theater could also be used for previewing upcoming Disney shows by building a drop-down screen similar to what was installed in the Opera House at Disneyland.

Other items that I'd like to see built are attractions based off of Alcatraz, earthquakes, and the gold rush.

...Joe...
    Gotta disagree with you Joe.

A lot of the new entry plaza and the Hollywood Pictures Backlot is already adding too much of MGM Studios to DCA. Adding the Chinese Theatre would be overkill - if they add the Theatre, they might as well just rename the park Disney's Hollywood Studios West.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I think removing GRR is not wise, it works as a ride and is pretty well themed. Please leave the bears dead, lets not resurrect them, your post had a lot of move forward, don't look back to it that was comendable, then you swerved to pick up the bears, just let them go. I loved the bears but they are gone like the skyway, PM, and ATIS.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    A whole area dedicated to California's Spanish and Mexican heritage would be great. This should feature Zorro and The Three Caballeros, a marketplace, a mission, some great food and music. It isn't really California without this. It could bridge the wharf and the Cars area.
    I always thought that this should replace A Bug's Land. The new Carthay theatre would blend wonderfully into an old Mission housing Western River Expedition. And Zorro could be either a darkride or a stunt spectacular. Also, if a passage way was to occur between Bugs Land and TOT, this new replacement would work well with the transition from the Mission Art Decco look of the tower to the old world Mission style of Spanish Square.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Bugs land is needed at DCA. Most of what they have there is not 6 and under friendly. Granted Bugs land could be much better, but taking it out would be one step back for families with young kids.

• ... the Axis of Awesome

Well, I actually oppose a lot of the current changes so DCA 2 for me would be about undoing a lot of 1. I'd rather they make the park themed in the style of Walt Disney's true life adventures and build of that. I'd love land themed on the Sahara and pyramids leading into the Arab Coast, another land based off the Himalaya's, the exotic locales Walt sought to take us too all the time. Carsland will be fun, but seems a little gimmicky for my taste.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan. -- John Lasseter

• Minion

Here are my suggestions for Phase 2:

In the Hollywood section, replace all false fronts with real buildings. Replace Muppet Vision with either Cinemagique or Philharmagic. Replace Monsters, Inc. with a proper E-ticket...either Rock N Roller Coaster or some new family friendly ride with greater connection to the theme of Tinsel Town.

Retheme Condor Flats to integrate it into the Grizzly River area. Add audio-animatronic animals to Grizzly River Run. Extend this area to encompass the land currently occupied by Mulholland Madness / Golden Zephyr / Orange Stinger. Get rid of those three attractions, and seize this opportunity to finally build the greatest unbuilt Disney ride - Western River Expedition - rethemed to the days of the California Gold Rush.

The combination of Radiator Springs Racers and Western River Expedition would place DCA near the top of any theme park junkie's list.

• Minion

[quote=tasman;2498656] Get rid of those three attractions, and seize this opportunity to finally build the greatest unbuilt Disney ride - Western River Expedition - rethemed to the days of the California Gold Rush.

/quote]

I would love, love, love this. It would bring some much needed "classic Disney" charm to DCA. DCA needs the magic of Marc Davis, and this along with the Country Bears, would make me feel much more at home at DCA.

[quote=GhostHost2;2498938]
    Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Get rid of those three attractions, and seize this opportunity to finally build the greatest unbuilt Disney ride - Western River Expedition - rethemed to the days of the California Gold Rush.

/quote]

I would love, love, love this. It would bring some much needed "classic Disney" charm to DCA. DCA needs the magic of Marc Davis, and this along with the Country Bears, would make me feel much more at home at DCA.
    The only place Western River Expedition should be build is at WDW, it's home and birth place.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    The only place Western River Expedition should be build is at WDW, it's home and birth place.
    Although I would love to see Western River Expedition built at the Magic Kingdom as originally intended, especially since it's closer to me than DCA - from a practical standpoint, I do recognise, that the land originally allocated for it is gone, and looking at satellite maps, I can't see any other place within MK where it could sensibly be built. Also, having two audio-animatronic laden flume rides in such close proximity isn't as meaningful as having them in separate parks. And WRE doesn't really fit with any of the other three Orlando parks.

But DCA needs an iconic ride (something a little more timeless than Radiator Springs Racers) and I think a Western River Expedition with "gold rush" theme would be perfect. The land is there and the context is right. IMHO, an idea whose time has come.

Many lands and rides are built in places where they were not originally intended. Discovery Bay was designed for Anaheim but ended up in Paris and Tokyo. So there is also some precedent here.
    Last edited by tasman; 01-21-2008 at 07:45 PM.

• Minion

I also like the idea of a Disney Villains - or Nightmare - spookhouse at the pier.

• The one, the only...

One of my favorite places is Chinatown in San Fransisco. It has an air of mystery and the exotic that Adventureland has. It of course would be a great place to get Chinese food, but I also see it as a portal to a ride themed to a Chinese adventure with boats. Think of it like POTC in New Orleans Square. It could be a inside ride that has dragons and warriors.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast