Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Wallis to Consult with WDI on Cars Land

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Fair enough, you and ROBONICS make a good point - the article isn't very detailed. However, if we are to believe the wording and the provided information, then why wouldn't WDI be studying California's Route 66 as well? The article is clear that the trip will be focusing on the stretch from the OK-TX border to the CA-AZ border.
    Don't forget that, as an official U.S. Highway, there is no Route 66. This area may very well be the place that Wallis feels still retains the most information and context relevant to the popular mythos of Route 66.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Don't forget that, as an official U.S. Highway, there is no Route 66. This area may very well be the place that Wallis feels still retains the most information and context relevant to the popular mythos of Route 66.
    The "mythos of Route 66" is irrelevant to Disney's California Adventure unless that stretch of highway and the "mythos" is important to the history and shaping of the state of California.

But I find it hard to believe that California is a major concern here considering the field trip ends at the California border.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The "mythos of Route 66" is irrelevant to Disney's California Adventure unless that stretch of highway and the "mythos" is important to the history and shaping of the state of California.

But I find it hard to believe that California is a major concern here considering the field trip ends at the California border.
    Again, the road ceases to exist as an actual designated road. The route has been decommissioned for over twenty years now. It is impossible to drive the entirety of Route 66. Some parts are entirely abandoned. It may have nothing to do with avoiding California, but going where the road and its culture remain.

Of course Route 66 is a big part of California. But WDI is going on a field trip to study the Route 66 that isn't part of California. According to that article, they're going from the Oklahoma-Texas border all the way through Arizona- but stopping at the California border!

If anything, WDI should be focusing on California's portion of Route 66. Not Texas', Arizona's, and Oklahoma's.

but really thats not the point route 66 runs right thru California but most of the untouched areas of route 66 are at the border or beyond. Areas of route 66 within California would make a terrible look for the theme park. Just look at the large section that runs thru San bernardino county. Its mostly rundown buildings or large shopping malls.

Talking Re: Wallis to Consult with WDI on Cars Land

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    My problem is more with the talking cars then the Arizona location of Radiator Springs, which could be fudged. Having lived in California my whole life, I've never seen a talking car.
    yu mean to tell me you never had the experience to see the car from knightrider in Universal studios?

I remember when i first sat in it and it talked back.

oh and my car talks to me too and tell sme to fasten my seatbelt or when lost gives me directions

LOL getting out of hand quick I see. Its research dont get crazy! I'm glad there doing it!
    Paid Disneyland Poster

Plus radiator springs is in ARIZONA...right?
    Paid Disneyland Poster

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Again, the road ceases to exist as an actual designated road. The route has been decommissioned for over twenty years now. It is impossible to drive the entirety of Route 66. Some parts are entirely abandoned. It may have nothing to do with avoiding California, but going where the road and its culture remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    but really thats not the point route 66 runs right thru California but most of the untouched areas of route 66 are at the border or beyond. Areas of route 66 within California would make a terrible look for the theme park. Just look at the large section that runs thru San bernardino county. Its mostly rundown buildings or large shopping malls.

Fair enough. But despite much of California's Route 66 being abandoned and in disrepair - a lot of it is still there, even if it is abandoned. Even if it's empty, Imagineers could learn something from visiting California's abandoned Route 66 both in person and in the history books, but apparently that isn't on the itinerary.

| | |

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDealer View Post
    Plus radiator springs is in ARIZONA...right?
    Yes, it is. So why is Radiator Springs coming to Disney's California Adventure to begin with?

| | |

Thats True

butttttttt

They do have signs all along foothill highway and then Alosta then foothill again that say historic route 66 if you drive along to Rancho Cucamonga. Then the signs continue along rialto thru 5th street then Mt Vernon.

then you have to head north on the 215 and continue to parts of route 66 which also have signs. then it pretty much dissapears untl you head up to Barstow and kingsman where you also see signs proclaiming historic route 66.

Its quite an interesting drive but like i said in an earlier post most of it is quite uninteresting visually for a theme park until you hit the area close to the California border.

I am sure the reason for the tour saying California border is because it will probably end a few miles within the border most likely near the US 95 highway or national trail highway where you find Roy's Cafe in Amboy, California with lots of route 66 memorabilia. Once past that route 66 is gone until you reach arizona.

So it makes sense to focus on the untouched natural portion of route 66 which still exists in Arizona, new Mexico and Texas. The other four states it used to go thru are also not extremely interesting.

oh i wish i had time to drive across country like i used to.
    Last edited by Baloo; 01-23-2008 at 12:24 AM.

just for fun, here is a picture of roys cafe. not something interesting for a theme park.

http://www.rt66roys.com/pictures/

Hmm I wonder if I have a passion for the "details" like you guys? I think I can live with the fact that it might not be wikkipedia proof. After all is there really a Matterhorn in California? Nope, but I sure am glad Walt built one. All in all, I am just glad that there taking a real interest in the project, that makes me happy, and I cant wait!
    Paid Disneyland Poster

I think it would be moe interesting to see the wigwag motel from Hallbrook, Arizona and leaning water tower of groom, Texas along with its interesting red desert landscape.

that just my opinion.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    just for fun, here is a picture of roys cafe. not something interesting for a theme park.

http://www.rt66roys.com/pictures/
    I dunno, I think the googie architecture and the kitschy big flashy neon signs could be influential in a positive way for Cars Land.

| | |

i think thats where the idea for the drive in restaurant would kick in. Many of those old drive-ins had similiar architecture.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast