Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Wallis to Consult with WDI on Cars Land

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDealer View Post
    Hmm I wonder if I have a passion for the "details" like you guys? I think I can live with the fact that it might not be wikkipedia proof. After all is there really a Matterhorn in California? Nope, but I sure am glad Walt built one. All in all, I am just glad that there taking a real interest in the project, that makes me happy, and I cant wait!
    If you think Disneyland's Matterhorn Mountain is supposed to be Matterhorn Mountain, California then you're mistaken. The queue structures, and surrounding ODV design is representative of a romanticized Switzerland, not California.

When you're on the Matterhorn Bobsleds, you aren't supposed to be in California.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

And the California theme as far as route 66 is, extends well beyond borders, it's America in a sense, I guess it's all about how you look at things, If your positive there will always be sun shining on the other side. So maybe Carsland is about California and how California is a destination for the rest of our great country! And not just about California in a vacuum. After all isn't that what the idealism of route 66 is in a way? California Dreamin? Just a thought.
    Paid Disneyland Poster

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

They just got done totally rebuilding "Historic Route 66" (Santa Monica Blvd.) through Westwood from the 405 Freeway east to the Century City / Beverly Hills border, and they did a really nice job of it. And West Hollywood has redone their segment - they finally ripped out the 1920's Red Car tracks that were paved over in the 1960's.

But other portions of Route 66 through Los Angeles County remain relatively unchanged through the years, some of it still has the original two-lane strip of 1920's concrete pavement visible down the center of the road, and newer asphalt where they've widened the road...

{grabs an old Thomas Guide} Where 66 jogs over to Sunset Boulevard near Silverlake, then turns onto N. Broadway in downtown LA, Mission Rd, Huntington Drive, Fair Oaks Ave into Pasadena, Colorado Blvd., to Huntington Drive in Monrovia, to Foothill Blvd. and then Alosta Ave. in Azusa...

Back to Foothill Blvd. in San Dimas where it picks up the "California 66" designation, and stays on Foothill Blvd headed off into San Bernardino County...

We have our share of kitsch Roadside Attractions along the old highways in California, but they need to get out of the urban areas and see the really rural segments that were bypassed by the Interstate and remain virtually untouched by time to get the feel.

People didn't bother to tear down or deface some of those natural and man-made sights, and the evidence remains.

Radiator Springs doesn't have to be in Arizona, it can just as easily be out in the California desert. We've got lots of desert, too.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Also for fun,

the wigwam motel that will also be represented in the new land and was represented in the movie existed in both California and Arizona both along route 66.

for those that are not familiar with those motels here are some pictures

first the one on old route 66 in Rialto California

http://www.wigwammotel.com/

next on old route 66 in Holbrook, arizona

http://www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/

i am finding all of this rather petty. cars land will fit in wherever they put it just as well as the haunted mansion...it was a great movie and will provide many entertaining rides and fun activities i'm sure. I wish they'd just change the name from DCA to something more in keeping with Disneyland and the magic that it creates for visitors. I'm not that keen on them sticking to the idea that this particular "area" has to reflect California. because after all, how many visitors are coming to Disneyland because they love California? I believe they, like myself, go to Disneyland because they love the magic of Disney, not, the state of california! so, that being said, I'm glad they are going on a trip that covers all of route 66 and i would be disappointed if radiator springs were not in and Arizona-like terrain when completed. Really I think the focus here should be expanding Disneyland and that in my opinion would include renaming DCA. thanks for letting me spout off. I really do love reading everything you all write. Living up here in Oregon, mice chat is my main connection to Disneyland.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    i think that where the idea for the drive in restauarnt would kick in. Many of those old drive-ins had similiar architecture.
    Right. Roy's would be a good place to look at for design cues for the Cars Land Drive-In Restaurant. My point - just because California's Route 66 is largely abandoned and run-down now, doesn't mean it doesn't hold a lot of history that can be translated into an idealized, romanticized theme park setting.

| | |

and here is the leaning water tower on old route 66 in Texas which might be an interesting jab to the Disney Mickey tower

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...actionNo==1266

I am quite positive that the Matterhorn mountain is not in California haha, what I meant was does Carsland need to be so historically accurate? I think the fact that route 66 is a part of California history and our nations history lends itself quite well to the theme of DCA. Plus alot of Disneyland guest come from AZ. So not a bad idea IMO.
    Paid Disneyland Poster

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I am quite positive that the Matterhorn mountain is not in California haha, what I meant was does Carsland need to be so historically accurate? I think the fact that route 66 is a part of California history and our nations history lends itself quite well to the theme of DCA. Plus alot of Disneyland guest come from AZ. So not a bad idea IMO.
    The park is called "Disney's California Adventure."

Not "Disney's Arizona Adventure."

Force-theming attractions into parks further degrades the cohesiveness of the theme park experience. DCA is already a struggling mess - it simply isn't a good idea to encourage the lack of thematic cohesion.

And the California theme as far as route 66 is, extends well beyond borders, it's America in a sense, I guess it's all about how you look at things, If your positive there will always be sun shining on the other side. So maybe Carsland is about California and how California is a destination for the rest of our great country! And not just about California in a vacuum. After all isn't that what the idealism of route 66 is in a way? California Dreamin? Just a thought.
    The park is called "Disney's California Adventure."

"Disney's America" was scrapped many years ago.

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by dizzygrl View Post
    i am finding all of this rather petty. cars land will fit in wherever they put it just as well as the haunted mansion...it was a great movie and will provide many entertaining rides and fun activities i'm sure. I wish they'd just change the name from DCA to something more in keeping with Disneyland and the magic that it creates for visitors. I'm not that keen on them sticking to the idea that this particular "area" has to reflect California. because after all, how many visitors are coming to Disneyland because they love California? I believe they, like myself, go to Disneyland because they love the magic of Disney, not, the state of california! so, that being said, I'm glad they are going on a trip that covers all of route 66 and i would be disappointed if radiator springs were not in and Arizona-like terrain when completed. Really I think the focus here should be expanding Disneyland and that in my opinion would include renaming DCA. thanks for letting me spout off. I really do love reading everything you all write. Living up here in Oregon, mice chat is my main connection to Disneyland.
    Thanks for clarifying my point like I couldn't. Its supposed to be about good times right?
    Paid Disneyland Poster

Spirited debate... And I see your enthusiasm MG, Thanks for being our gatekeeper for a place I hold dear to my heart!
    Paid Disneyland Poster

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Thanks for clarifying my point like I couldn't. Its supposed to be about good times right?
    If it's simply about good times, then you must love DCA as it currently exists, or Knott's, or Universal Studios, or Six Flags Magic Mountain?

Part of the "good times" of any Disney theme park experience is the quality of show - and that consists of visual theming, aural theming, and theme cohesion, amongst other things.

| | |

Imagine as a second phase to Cars Land a large structure similiar to the TDs caldera built. A Large indoor darkride with some thrill elements added inside.

What you say how in the world does thathave to do with California? Well how about theming the area with lots of refernces to Amboy Crater. Yes Amboy Crater located in Amboy, California. WDI could come up with some crazy story about how the crater was created by a meteor that crash landed. The crater now a national park is the site for a conspiracy theory of the government where a hidden facility has vehicles that have been able to discover wolrd never seen before deep beneath the state.

ok maybe i am geting a bit to creative here

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Imagine as a second phase to Cars Land a large structure similiar to the TDs caldera built. A Large indoor darkride with some thrill elements added inside.

What you say how in the world does thathave to do with California? Well how about theming the area with lots of refernces to Amboy Crater. Yes Amboy Crater located in Amboy, California. WDI could come up with some crazy story about how the crater was created by a meteor that crash landed. The crater now a national park is the site for a conspiracy theory of the government where a hidden facility has vehicles that have been able to discover wolrd never seen before deep beneath the state.

ok maybe i am geting a bit to creative here
    Sounds intriguing, entertaining, and the location is thematically relevant to the park.

Sounds good to me.

| | |

I really do enjoy DCA, I think it is a beautiful place to enjoy an evening with friends.
    Paid Disneyland Poster

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast