Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Wallis to Consult with WDI on Cars Land

oh and here is a picture of Amboy Crater on old route 66 in California.

http://www.desertusa.com/mnp/mnp_amboy.html

the crater itself is quite interesting but the surrounding desert landscape is not.

Now that i think about it, this would had been a perfect addition to a bigger Condor flats. Same desert type and the whole airfield idea could have been incorporated n the wierd story i came up with.

Since I'm the fellow who wrote the story, I feel compelled to let y'all know that the Disney Imagineering trip on Route 66 won't follow any hard and fast rules.

Wallis doesn't operate that way, and he told me in my conservation with him yesterday that the trip probably would include a visit to Needles, Calif.

And it wouldn't surprise me if the group continues on to other Mojave Desert hamlets like Goffs and Amboy. In short, if the group is having fun and wants to continue, the research can go well past the Colorado River.

So I wouldn't worry too much about California not being represented in Cars Land.

To the east, Wallis also said he'd probably lead the group a few miles into Oklahoma to see Harley and Annabelle Russell at the Sandhills Curiosity Shop in Erick. Harley is a big inspiration for Mater in the "Cars" movie, and the store definitely bears resemblance to Lizzie's in the film.

I forgot to include this in my last post. This is a list of real-life Route 66 inspirations of "Cars" that I researched and put together. I've driven the road several times and confirmed the data. Pixar's been known to point people to this post, too:

http://rwarn17588.wordpress.com/2006...he-cars-movie/

So lets hope that this trip adds valuable ideas to an already great project!
    Thanks
    Route66News!
    Paid Disneyland Poster

• Banned User

It looks like the Pixar research model is being adapted for this attraction - which is really inspired by Walt's old research model - me likely.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    More proof that Cars Land will have little relevance to the park's California theme.

Bravo, WDI.
    I thought we all agreed that the California theme was wrong in the first place?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

My grandparents lived their whole adult lives here in CA. And obviously my mother and her sisters also grew up in CA. They told many stories about the family trips (grandpa owned race horses, and traveling to see a man about a horse was not uncommon) they talked about Route 66. They were talking about CA, but in my mind's eye I was probably seeing AZ.
    I have to agree that although theming-wise, Carsland may not have as much CA as some of us might like, the myth of Route 66 and the car cuture is so California, we'd be hard pressed to say that this new area wont fit into the theme of DCA. To me (and I think many others) Route 66 is CA.
    I welcome the new land, even though it will means that my favorite hotel will no longer sit outside the Timon Parking lot and I'm going to have to walk all the way around.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    I am sorry to you MG - I just don't like attacking of unbuilt attractions when we do not know everything.
    In some cases Manator, viewing the attraction itself is irrelevant when confronted with larger issues. For MG, the 'larger' issue here is theme, and if one values it, and feels it is inconsistent with its surrounding area, the attraction's quality makes little difference.

If a new Mary Poppins attraction, say, were to open up in Tomorrowland, would one need to see the concepts, or need to wait to see the construction begin to comment on its misplacement? I see this as MG's stance on this point.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I find it hard to believe any majority agreement on any subject has ever been reached on MC.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    If it's simply about good times, then you must love DCA as it currently exists, or Knott's, or Universal Studios, or Six Flags Magic Mountain?

Part of the "good times" of any Disney theme park experience is the quality of show - and that consists of visual theming, aural theming, and theme cohesion, amongst other things.

I agree with what you say about theme cohesion, I just keep wondering why it is sooo necessary to try and hammer everything into a "california" theme? why not take a step back and look at how that 2nd park can be "cohesive" with DL. The stats prove that visitors overwhelmingly go to DL over DCA so as long as they're spending 2 billion dollars, why not consider how to fit that park into the theme of Disneyland?

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by dizzygrl View Post
    I agree with what you say about theme cohesion, I just keep wondering why it is sooo necessary to try and hammer everything into a "california" theme? why not take a step back and look at how that 2nd park can be "cohesive" with DL. The stats prove that visitors overwhelmingly go to DL over DCA so as long as they're spending 2 billion dollars, why not consider how to fit that park into the theme of Disneyland?

You would have to ask 'Disney' that, they didn't take the chance to re-theme so they are stuck with the theme they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

I don't believe Disney is "stuck" with that theme unless they choose to be; this is their moment in time for big changes. I love all things Disney and I always will I just think they're missing the forest for the trees on this one...that being said, getting a response from you, mousechild, is a thrill for me, I'm a big fan of your comments!

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I don't believe Disney is "stuck" with that theme unless they choose to be; this is their moment in time for big changes. I love all things Disney and I always will I just think they're missing the forest for the trees on this one...that being said, getting a response from you, mousechild, is a thrill for me, I'm a big fan of your comments!
    I say they are stuck because the time to change the theme in this rebuild has passed. Plans for attractions are well underway and construction schedules are being set now. Any park wide re-theming would require changes that are not going to be made in this cycle. So they are indeed stuck with the theme they have chosen at least until the next major construction cycle.

They well may be missing the forest and the tree thing (sorry I am not much of an outdoor/forest person since that unfortunate homeless period ) but the ship has sailed and it looks like this particular park is going to be tied to some version of California for quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I agree with what you say about theme cohesion, I just keep wondering why it is sooo necessary to try and hammer everything into a "california" theme?
    <DING! DING! DING! DING!> "We have a winner, Folks!!"

They don't have to make it a concrete box of California ONLY - that's a trap that they made and then fell into all by themselves. If they try to restrict themselves to only "Route 66" things that are on this side of Needles (first civilization west of the CA/AZ line) they are going to miss out on some of the best ideas.

Why not take a step back and look at how that 2nd park can be "cohesive" with DL. The stats prove that visitors overwhelmingly go to DL over DCA so as long as they're spending 2 billion dollars, why not consider how to fit that park into the theme of Disneyland?
    I think the "2-Fer" stats prove that beyond any doubt - Disney almost has to "paper the joint" with discounts or freebies to drive up attendance. People buy their tickets and go to Disneyland for the day - then at the end of the period, they all go "Gee, we better go to DCA before these free tickets expire!" The last two weekends of the 2-Fer period are insane crowded at DCA, the weekdays in between show a significant bump, and Disneyland attendance stays solid as a rock...

DCA needs to complement Disneyland, not compete with it. That would be the place to put the more intense thrill rides that have more restrictions - like, say, 'Rock N Roller Coaster' or something along those lines. 'Test Track' would be good - but that takes a lot of room.

Problem is, they already painted themselves into a corner with that logic, too - can't remake DCA into a "Teen and Adult Thrill Park" and leave Bugs Land and the planned CarsLand as they are - they will still be tempting in the smaller children, and then they still run out of things to do.

Unless they plan on sacraficing the Bugs and Cars areas for redevelopment in a few years when their attraction value finally fades away, and go for more of a theme shift at that point. Which might only be prolonging the agony...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post

I agree. The California theme has failed to inspire Imagineers with new attractions as well as guest to come to see DCA. It does need though a cohesive theme. Walt Disney showed his genius by picking 5 themes to work with Disneyland. So it seems to cover many people's interests from Adventure and wildlife to the Space Age. Sadly, the only hope I see for DCA, is to break away from one monolithic theme into separate smaller themes that could be enjoyed and maybe inspire the locals and out-of-towners to visit.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast