Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Wallis to Consult with WDI on Cars Land

I guess the park will now just take inspiration from California rather than making it a park with the whole theme of California - as that is almost impossible to do with what they have planned. Is that a fair statement?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    If anything, WDI should be focusing on California's portion of Route 66. Not Texas', Arizona's, and Oklahoma's.
    You're presuming that DCA will still be called Disney's California Adventure when it turns ten in 2011.

I wouldn't place a large bet on that.

ImagineerWarrior

why do you think that? This inquiring mind would like to know...

• ...TWO BITS!

I think this is great.

As to the "not the CA theme"... well, perhaps that park WILL get a new name in the years to come so eventually the "CA" theme can be dropped. But the "Cars Land" aim is a good start to still retain "CA" but also think about a new name in the future.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• "I Break Things"

I am shocked that some are more concerned with the "Not in CA" aspect then they are with the "Let's make talking Cars and cartoon buildings... in short let's build another ToonTown in DCA." Because when you really think about it that is what the current plan is. It's a cross between Frontierland and ToonTown with a little Main Street thrown in. I know it will fit, and fit well, but I worry about how they plan to implement it. Is the plan to fill it with actual cars, toon cars, or leave it primarily empty similar to ToonTown? What will happen to Condor Flats? they really don't need 2 desert environments and I am sure this has already been brought up at WDI. There are a lot of questions. Likewise, while we know it may not be in CA, the average guest won't care, and why should they? Unless you are either a local, or break out a GPS, you can't really tell where the CA desert ends and the AZ desert begins!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Except the state line shows.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    This is sarcastic right?

A thought that techskip made about how it'll be a blend of Toon Town and Frontierland, cartoon cars, etc... can they combine cartoon cars with realistic ones? Or will that clash... I can't really tell in my mind yet.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    really... because in some places we can hardly tell where our border is with another country, let alone another state!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I thought we all agreed that the California theme was wrong in the first place?
    The California theme didn't work because it was underfunded and half-baked when it opened.

And just because it didn't work at the beginning, doesn't mean it can't be fixed now. Problem is that Disney is making little effort to fix it - they're just messing it up even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    DCA needs to complement Disneyland, not compete with it. That would be the place to put the more intense thrill rides that have more restrictions - like, say, 'Rock N Roller Coaster' or something along those lines. 'Test Track' would be good - but that takes a lot of room.
    A MAJOR complaint with DCA is that it lacks family attractions. This is where Toy Story Mania!, The Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and some of Cars Land come into play. Another MAJOR complaint with DCA is that it lacks charm and heart - this is where Walt Disney Plaza and the Red Car Trolleys come in.

Throwing more thrill rides at the park isn't a smart idea.

Anyway, Test Track pretty much IS coming to DCA - but in the form of "Radiator Springs Racers."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Problem is, they already painted themselves into a corner with that logic, too - can't remake DCA into a "Teen and Adult Thrill Park" and leave Bugs Land and the planned CarsLand as they are - they will still be tempting in the smaller children, and then they still run out of things to do.

Unless they plan on sacraficing the Bugs and Cars areas for redevelopment in a few years when their attraction value finally fades away, and go for more of a theme shift at that point. Which might only be prolonging the agony...

--<< Bruce >>--
    DCA OPENED as the "Teen and Adult" counterpart to Disneyland, with the Pier's thrill rides, the park's alcohol sales, and the adult-interest factory tours and upscale dining. The concept didn't work. That's why Flik's Fun Fair was tossed in - to try to appease children. Then, they threw the Tower of Terror to try to boost attendance. And then they added Monsters and Turtle Talk for "families" ... None of it worked.

Thus, the $1 billion make-over.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I agree. The California theme has failed to inspire Imagineers with new attractions as well as guest to come to see DCA. It does need though a cohesive theme. Walt Disney showed his genius by picking 5 themes to work with Disneyland. So it seems to cover many people's interests from Adventure and wildlife to the Space Age. Sadly, the only hope I see for DCA, is to break away from one monolithic theme into separate smaller themes that could be enjoyed and maybe inspire the locals and out-of-towners to visit.
    I find it hard to believe the California theme is uninspiring. California has loads of history, loads of natural wonders, and loads of human-made spectacles that could easily be translated to a historical, romanticized, and idealized theme park setting.

I mean, is New Orleans particularly an inspiring, theme-park friendly setting? I wouldn't imagine so - but Disney made it work. Certainly California can be adapted in a similar manner - state residents know there's enough to work with.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I hate the whole idea now, thanks mice chat!
    =P
    Paid Disneyland Poster

• Lowering Expectations

The park is called "Disney's California Adventure."

Not "Disney's Arizona Adventure."
    My God MG, you've dragged this argument across every Arizona/California/Who-knows-what-else desert, into the Pacific Ocean and onto mainland China.

You know as well as I do that the concept of Cars Land is far from the ideal new 11-some acre land for DCA, and Prag and others have got dozens of fabulous ideas for other CA gems. But for heaven's sake, debating endlessly about the precise location of Radiator Springs is going to do nothing but lodge a (gold) nugget up your @$$ larger than the one clogging Mr. Liver's.

When the day is done and 2012 arrives, the connection between Route 66 and cars and deserts and CA will still be undeniable and obvious to just about every guest.

So please Andy...give it a rest. Save it for the "long time ago" Star Tours threads.

And as for the car trip...haven't you heard of thinking outside the box?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    My God MG, you've dragged this argument across every Arizona/California/Who-knows-what-else desert, into the Pacific Ocean and onto mainland China.

You know as well as I do that the concept of Cars Land is far from the ideal new 11-some acre land for DCA, and Prag and others have got dozens of fabulous ideas for other CA gems. But for heaven's sake, debating endlessly about the precise location of Radiator Springs is going to do nothing but lodge a (gold) nugget up your @$$ larger than the one clogging Mr. Liver's.

When the day is done and 2012 arrives, the connection between Route 66 and cars and deserts and CA will still be undeniable and obvious to just about every guest.

So please Andy...give it a rest. Save it for the "long time ago" Star Tours threads.

And as for the car trip...haven't you heard of thinking outside the box?
    Sorry, 2DieFR, but just because the film is good doesn't mean I'm not going to question whether or not it belongs in the California-themed park.

Monsters Inc is a fantastic film, and the dark ride isn't too bad - but I'm not going to deny that it isn't really a good fit for DCA. And I feel the same with Cars.

But I'm glad you enjoy the film, its quite evident.

| | |

• Lowering Expectations

Whether or not I like the movie Cars is irrelevant in this thread. And this has got nothing to do with whether or not I approve of yet another Pixar-related expansion project.

The fact remains that California car culture is enough to justify Cars Land. Monsters Inc., in comparison, has no such connection. None whatsoever.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Whether or not I like the movie Cars is irrelevant in this thread. And this has got nothing to do with whether or not I approve of yet another Pixar-related expansion project.

The fact remains that California car culture is enough to justify Cars Land. Monsters Inc., in comparison, has no such connection. None whatsoever.
    I fail to see how Cars Land will explore California car culture? What I understand is that Cars Land will explore the characters, stories, and themes found in the film Cars. This field trip that WDI is taking appears to be just so they can understand why things were built the way they were on Route 66, and to see how they and the landscapes look in real life, as opposed to in the animated world. The field trip doesn't appear to see how Cars Land can incorporate California car culture into the land, as the guided tour of Route 66 is stopping at the California border!

| | |

• Lowering Expectations

I fail to see how Cars Land will explore California car culture. What I understand is that Cars Land will explore the characters, stories, and themes found in the film Cars.
    Well everyone knows the latter sentence will manifest itself.

As for the former..we can't know for sure just yet. With only a news release here and concept art there, and a whole four years before its completion...there aren't many (if any) definites yet as to how much Cars Land will explicitly make mention of LA's freeways and woodies with the boards on the side.

But even if there's no sign saying "Yes! We are open in sunny CA" in the window, guests are still going to make implicit connections, especially with Radiator Springs Racers. I don't think anyone will need to tell guests what state that attraction is reminiscent of, upon disembarking.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast