Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: Wallis to Consult with WDI on Cars Land

No one has answered my question. Aside from a small questionable dialogue... what actual proof? what landmarks? what signs? do we have stating that Radiator Springs is located in ANY specific place, other then the U.S. and in the Desert. Had it not been for the 66, we could have placed it in Mexico, the Sahara, the Gobi, thing is it's a desert and there wasn't a lot of distinct landmarks. Personally I think that was done on purpose, so it could be anywhere! Meaning it could be CA, AZ, NM, TX... WE DON'T KNOW! Also as noted, it is not always evident where you are... you're in the desert... that's about it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    No one has answered my question. Aside from a small questionable dialogue... what actual proof? what landmarks? what signs? do we have stating that Radiator Springs is located in ANY specific place, other then the U.S. and in the Desert. Had it not been for the 66, we could have placed it in Mexico, the Sahara, the Gobi, thing is it's a desert and there wasn't a lot of distinct landmarks. Personally I think that was done on purpose, so it could be anywhere! Meaning it could be CA, AZ, NM, TX... WE DON'T KNOW! Also as noted, it is not always evident where you are... you're in the desert... that's about it.
    I'm not sure how Lightning McQueen's line, "I need to get to California, pronto!" can mean anything else. He isn't in California when he's in Radiator Springs.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Lowering Expectations

McQueen meant he needed to be the first to get to the big race in LA - hence "pronto." At that point in the story he had been suddenly ejected from the truck, and there's no way he could have known where the hell Radiator Springs is - certainly not that soon after all that happening and ending up in court. All he knows is it's definitely not where he needs to be.

In other words, Lightning McQueen, of all characters, is NOT the geographic expert at that moment in the film. When Mater told him where he was, he said "Radiator Springs," not "a desert in Arizona."

This has been explained to you before, MG, why are you ignoring it?

Edit: This is doubly ironic because Lightning McQueen said that line when he was in court. Well MG, if I were in the jury, and you stand up and say that because he said that, that therefore Radiator Springs is irrefutably not in CA, I would say your claim has reasonable doubt. Lightning McQueen's word cannot be taken for fact because he is not a resident of Radiator Springs, he was traveling between many states, and he spent many hours unconscious before the hearing.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 01-24-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    McQueen meant he needed to be the first to get to the big race in LA - hence "pronto." At that point in the story he had been suddenly ejected from the truck, and there's no way he could have known where the hell Radiator Springs is - certainly not that soon after all that happening and ending up in court. All he knows is it's definitely not where he needs to be.

In other words, Lightning McQueen, of all characters, is NOT the geographic expert at that moment in the film. When Mater told him where he was, he said "Radiator Springs," not "a desert in Arizona."

Which was my point. Some people still consider Needles to be AZ, others say CA, map says CA, but it depends on who you talk to. They did not specify where it was, only that it wasn't LA!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Edit: This is doubly ironic because Lightning McQueen said that line when he was in court. Well MG, if I were in the jury, and you stand up and say that because he said that, that therefore Radiator Springs is irrefutably not in CA, I would say your claim has reasonable doubt. Lightning McQueen's word cannot be taken for fact because he is not a resident of Radiator Springs, he was traveling between many states, and he spent many hours unconscious before the hearing.
    Because McQueen was aware of where he was at prior to the accident. It appeared that by the time he had said "I gotta get to California, pronto!" he had regained his senses and knew where he was at, and it wasn't in California.

Furthermore, why wouldn't another character have said "You are in California!", if he actually was in California?

This isn't a real-life incident - it is a scene from a scripted, animated film. I doubt the writers would have written a line like that without knowing they were implying information about the character's location.

| | |

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Because McQueen was aware of where he was at prior to the accident.
    That's ridiculous. McQueen was asleep in the truck prior to the accident! It was Mack that was driving. Maybe Mack would have known whether or not they were in CA by then, but we don't know that, do we?

It appeared that by the time he had said "I gotta get to California, pronto!" he had regained his senses and knew where he was at, and it wasn't in California.
    Now you're ignoring my previous post. I suggest you reread it.

• Lowering Expectations

Furthermore, why wouldn't another character have said "You are in California!", if he actually was in California?
    Because the other characters were more worried about their broken road than where this idiot thinks he is, or isn't.

This isn't a real-life incident - it is a scene from a scripted, animated film.
    If you're allowed to quote from it and turn it into a reason to hate Cars Land in DCA, then I'm allowed to analyze the circumstances the characters were in at the time and treat the situation like a real-life scenario. If it means so much to you what McQueen said, then you have to believe in Cars and not dismiss it as a fantasy world that doesn't abide by our rules.

I doubt the writers would have written a line like that without knowing they were implying information about the character's location.
    I doubt the writers care whether or not Radiator Springs is in CA. And if they don't care, they wouldn't have made a point of him saying it to distinguish that it isn't.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt the writers had realized they had "written themselves in a corner," according to you.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

That's ridiculous. McQueen was asleep in the truck prior to the accident! It was Mack that was driving. Maybe Mack would have known whether or not they were in CA by then, but we don't know that, do we?

Now you're ignoring my previous post. I suggest you reread it.
    Fair enough - I still don't think Radiator Springs is in California, but you can believe that if you wish.

Here's an interesting read, though, at another message board:
    http://www.pixarplanet.com/forums/vi...er=asc&start=0

One post in that thread, in particular caught my attention:
    Quote Originally Posted by foreignconcepts
    Actually, Radiator Springs is likely in Arizona - in the Art of Cars book it states where the location of Radiator Springs is intended to be:

"It was decided that Radiator Springs would have a high desert look and feel, similar to the Mother Road country between Gallup, New Mexico, and Kingman, Arizona." (p.96, Art of Cars... citing source and not plagiarizing for those who care.)

If you look at that area on a map, it stretches across almost all of Arizona and a little bit into the western part of New Mexico. So I'd conclude from that that Radiator Springs is most likely in Arizona.
    Take that for what you will, but of course, I would think that the geography of a location is most telling of its location - and The Art of Cars explains that the geography is an amalgam of the georgraphic features found between Gallup and Arizona - so I'm willing to bet that the folk's at Pixar did not situate Radiator Springs anywhere in California.

| | |

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Because the other characters were more worried about their broken road than where this idiot thinks he is, or isn't.

If you're allowed to quote from it and turn it into a reason to hate Cars Land in DCA, then I'm allowed to analyze the circumstances the characters were in at the time and treat the situation like a real-life scenario. If it means so much to you what McQueen said, then you have to believe in Cars and not dismiss it as a fantasy world that doesn't abide by our rules.

I doubt the writers care whether or not Radiator Springs is in CA. And if they don't care, they wouldn't have made a point of him saying it to distinguish that it isn't.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt the writers had realized they had "written themselves in a corner," according to you.
    Excuse me? I don't recall saying anything about the writers "writing themselves in a corner." Please don't put words in my mouth. Why would I think that? The writers wrote what was important to the film's story. And when you adapt a film and its story line into a theme park setting, you have to abide by the thematic boundaries set up by the theme park. DCA doesn't have many thematic boundaries - but the biggest one that's there is quite clear - the park is based on California.

Additionally, I never said anything about hating Cars Land. In fact, I don't hate it. I'm quite sure that the area will offer some top-notch entertainment when it opens. BUT - just because an attraction or an area is nicely themed doesn't mean that it has thematic integrity. Case in point: Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island.

| | |

• Lowering Expectations

I still don't think Radiator Springs is in California, but you can believe that if you wish.
    That never was my belief. To be honest, Andy, I don't give a damn where Radiator Springs is - that's all your beef, and honestly I was getting sick of it.

My position is that there is no definite evidence provided in the film to say for sure either way. I won't say that RS is in California - what I will say is that there is no reason why it couldn't be.

Sorry, techskip, in the midst of all that we ignored you. But I'm with you on this one. We don't know. We just don't know.

And since we don't, let's turn the tables and take Cars Land in DCA as hard-boiled evidence (like an egg gettin' fried on a hot radiator) that Radiator Springs must indeed be in CA!

...but I'd only say that if I was a little devil.

Why, speak of the devil! It's my 2,000th post! This calls for celebration!

Hooray for Walt! Hooray for Disneyland! Hooray for MiceChat, Cars Land and DCA!!!

• Banned User

Now no need for name calling.
    How do we know Radiator Springs isn't in California? Unless PIXAR says "Radiator Springs is not in California", then I will take the other view that it may possible be in there.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

That never was my belief. To be honest, Andy, I don't give a damn where Radiator Springs is - that's all your beef, and honestly I was getting sick of it.

My position is that there is no definite evidence provided in the film to say for sure either way. I won't say that RS is in California - what I will say is that there is no reason why it couldn't be.

Sorry, techskip, in the midst of all that we ignored you. But I'm with you on this one. We don't know. We just don't know.

And since we don't, let's turn the tables and take Cars Land in DCA as hard-boiled evidence (like an egg gettin' fried on a hot radiator) that Radiator Springs must indeed be in CA!

...but I'd only say that if I was a little devil.

Why, speak of the devil! It's my 2,000th post! This calls for celebration!

Hooray for Walt! Hooray for Disneyland! Hooray for MiceChat, Cars Land and DCA!!!
    Obviously Imagineering doesn't give a damn where Radiator Springs is, either. You should call them up for a job.

While you may grow wary of my "beef" against force-theming Cars into DCA, I'm just sick and tired of WDI's mishandling of the parks. If they're going to add something, it should make some thematic sense. Unfortunately, thematic sense isn't an issue as much as dollars and cents are.

Anyway, congrats on 2,000 posts.

| | |

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

The movie focused a lot on the charm of Route 66... which is in California... which fits DCA's theme... simple.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Egad, all this arguing about USELESS ephemera like what shade of pink the angels dancing on the head of the pin are wearing. When we haven't seen any evidence that there are angels, let alone any pinheads...

I take that back - I think I found the pinheads.

In the movie, they never come flat out and say where Radiator Springs is. Or isn't. And that's that. You can make a tentative link to Route 66, and a significant chunk of Route 66 was in California, and that's Plenty Close Enough for Guv'ment Work.

They based the background geography/topography on an amalgam of bits taken from a large swath of area - and California has highly varied desert topography, too.

Death Valley? Vasquez Rocks, anyone? Heck, right near my house, Stoney Point - a Big Rock that people love to go recreational climbing on for pratice and excercise, kind of a "miniature Halfdome" without the long trek to Yosemite.

(Subtle Hint Ahead. Be on the lookout.)

Okay, Howabout them Dodgers? Think they'll go all the way this year??

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneyland

Blog Entries

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast