Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Wallis to Consult with WDI on Cars Land

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    I take that back - I think I found the pinheads.
    Sure did, Bruce. I can't believe I allowed myself to get sucked in this. I think it's because I agree with MG on too many other issues that I just couldn't let him carry on this non-issue without saying something.

Speaking of MG...I like the Dateline DL avatar.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Obviously Imagineering doesn't give a damn where Radiator Springs is, either. You should call them up for a job.

While you may grow wary of my "beef" against force-theming Cars into DCA, I'm just sick and tired of WDI's mishandling of the parks. If they're going to add something, it should make some thematic sense. Unfortunately, thematic sense isn't an issue as much as dollars and cents are.
    It was brought up, and quite quickly ignored, that during all of the hoopla during the announcements regarding Disney's California Adventure a lot of the unofficial buzz was that "Disney's California Adventure" would become a thing of the past.

• Lowering Expectations

That won't satisfy MG unless the park's new title is "Disney's Arizona Adventure."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    That won't satisfy MG unless the park's new title is "Disney's Arizona Adventure."
    I think "Disney's Western US Adventure" would be better.

Really though, it shouldn't matter. What Disney does, in the words of John Hench, is create an image. The worlds of Disney are "the perfect copy from which no original exists". Cars Land, if the park remains Disney's California Adventure, only needs to present an image of something that would, and could, be imagined and understood as part of California.

The puzzled inquiry regarding the park is commonly, "Why go to a California park that is in California?" Recreating California as it is and was only makes that complaint much more valid. Disney's California Adventure needs to aim to be the California of dreams, imagination, and American culture.

Radiator Spring doesn't exist anywhere, but it could exist in California. Who is willing to track down John and ask him?

• Lowering Expectations

Who's willing? ...

Thanks lazyboy, great post.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    You're such a brat!

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Animatronic

Route 66 was considered such an important part of the History of California, that is was included in the original design of Disney's California Adventure. California is/was about car culture. Encountering Radiator Springs along Route 66 seems like a perfect thematic fit for the newly improved and historic California Adventure.

I will be happy as long as Cars land is not called Cars land and has nothing to do with the Car-toony Cars movie set mostly in Arizona =P

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Of course Route 66 is a big part of California. But WDI is going on a field trip to study the Route 66 that isn't part of California. According to that article, they're going from the Oklahoma-Texas border all the way through Arizona- but stopping at the California border!

If anything, WDI should be focusing on California's portion of Route 66. Not Texas', Arizona's, and Oklahoma's.
    Back in the heyday of route 66, most of the California portion was the same or nearly the same as the others. The problem is there isn't much left of California's portion that is close enough to what it used to be to study.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I will be happy as long as Cars land is not called Cars land and has nothing to do with the Car-toony Cars movie set mostly in Arizona =P
    Then I don't expect you to be very happy.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It was brought up, and quite quickly ignored, that during all of the hoopla during the announcements regarding Disney's California Adventure a lot of the unofficial buzz was that "Disney's California Adventure" would become a thing of the past.
    It was ignored because there is no real evidence that the California theme will be dropped.

And I said it in another thread, and I'll repeat it here - if the California theme IS dropped, then I'll be fine with the new land, as long as it matches the park's new theme.

It's all about cohesion. If one part isn't working correctly, the rest of the product is damaged. Too many parts of DCA are already thematically broken - Cars Land shouldn't add onto that problem, it should do its part to fix that problem.

Even if Radiator Springs is in California in the film, the fact that there is no explicit designation of its location shows that Radiator Springs still isn't going to help the California theme of the park.

The park's attractions, lands, and other offerings should be distinctly California, whether its an idealized California, stylized California, or realistic California - it should immediately be perceived as California. The ambiguous nature of Radiator Springs' location and the name "Cars Land" cannot offer a distinct "California" impression... All it does is make people think of the animated film - not California.

If anything, the land would be better named "Route 66" and use the Cars characters and attractions to support the theme, history, and story of California's famed car culture and the iconic Route 66.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 01-24-2008 at 11:42 PM.

| | |

Actually speaking to some Imagineers they mentioned that the Clifornia theme is not going to be thrown out the door.

At the moment they are working with some of the most popular characters that somehow can be incorporated in the theme and still add the needed Disney family ambience that many critics have been saying is missing from the park. They do plan on focusing more to define the California theme even further in the second phase and possible third phase. Other major cities that were loosely represented or not represented at all are in consideration for further ideas and expansions.

Remember after Carsland DCA still has several more acreas for growth. It also has several other areas that will eventually be worked on to improve its theming and others that will get a more California emphasis.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Actually speaking to some Imagineers they mentioned that the Clifornia theme is not going to be thrown out the door.

At the moment they are working with some of the most popular characters that somehow can be incorporated in the theme and still add the needed Disney family ambience that many critics have been saying is missing from the park. They do plan on focusing more to define the California theme even further in the second phase and possible third phase. Other major cities that were loosely represented or not represented at all are in consideration for further ideas and expansions.

Remember after Carsland DCA still has several more acreas for growth. It also has several other areas that will eventually be worked on to improve its theming and others that will get a more California emphasis.
    That's interesting that they're planning on keeping the California theme, especially considering the only new addition to the park that will actually enhance the theme is Walt Disney Plaza. Or perhaps we don't know as much about Cars Land as we might think we do - perhaps it will take a more California car culture approach to the land with the support of the Cars characters? Nah, that's gotta just be wishful thinking, no?

| | |

In regards to the previous arguement.

First we need to remember that Radiator springs is not a real town.

With that said the town of Radiator springs was inspired by several buildings along route 66 including several from California.

If people really want to get much more detailed we could probably say that the town was somewhere in the border of Arizona and California since Lightning Mcqueens destination was the race track in Fontana. Also some of the background mountain ranges were inspired by some found near the California and Arizona border.

Its actually quite interesting but the structures in the town come from landmarks ranging from Rialto,California to a gas station in shamrock texas.
    The movie also has some structures that were inspired from landmarks in Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma also states were route 66 passed thru.

Some of the mountain ranges shown in the movie are hybrids of the Cadilac Ranch and also from Black Mountain in western Arizona but as seen only from the Needles, California side.

Some other mountains in the movie are hybrids of Vasquez Rocks in Southern California and yet others were inspired by the grand Canyon and Yosemite (although not on route 66).

Flo's was also inspired by a gas station canapy in Needles, California which is one of the very few remaining such structures that used to dot route 66.

In other words the movie has quite a bit of California within its theme.
    Last edited by Baloo; 01-27-2008 at 12:05 AM.

• Banned User

I'm sorry, but I am having trouble reading your post(s) - but you do make good valid points, other than those who few who make blantant attempts at pulling this attraction down because these few who do not agree it has anything to do with California. The funny thing about Pixar movies, they never really say where anything is at (except Rats, which does mention specifically being Paris), so who are we to judge - we have no right to judge.

sorry sometimes i am typing and doing other things at the same time. Many times i type without looking ar keyboard and then realize that i need to go back an proofread the posts. Sometimes (mostly always) i just get lazy and leave them as is.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast