Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Wallis to Consult with WDI on Cars Land

Michael Wallis named as consultant to Cars Land January 22, 2008

Posted by Ron in Attractions, Movies, Road trips.trackback

Disney Imagineering has hired Michael Wallis as a consultant for the Cars Land amusement park, based on the “Cars” animated movie, that will be built at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

Wallis has written the best-selling “Route 66: The Mother Road,” served as a consultant to the “Cars” movie and was the voice of the Sheriff of Radiator Springs in the film.

Disney Imagineering decided to enlist Wallis in the Cars Land project after talking to “Cars” director John Lasseter.

“We discussed the idea of creating a life-size Radiator Springs, and that’s what they have in mind,” Wallis said from his Tulsa home on Tuesday.

In March, Wallis says will guide Disney Imagineering’s creative team in a trip down Route 66 from the Texas-Oklahoma border area and west to the Arizona-California border. The team will research the terrain and architecture of the Mother Road. The trip will be reminiscent of when he guided Pixar’s creative team down Route 66 in 2001 and 2002.

Disney Imagineering’s team also recently went to Germany to see state-of-the-art amusement park rides there, Wallis said. The Los Angeles Times has reported that the Cars Land is part of a $1 billion renovation of Disneyland, to be completed in 2012.

“This is obviously good for Route 66,” Wallis said of Cars Land. “It’s another way to communicate the Route 66 story.”
    (Artist’s concept of Cars Land, courtesy of Disney.)
    Original story here
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Re: Wallis to Consult with WDI on Cars Land

This sounds good. I'm so excited. I hope they call "Cars Land" something else. Yuck.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

In March, Wallis says will guide Disney Imagineering’s creative team in a trip down Route 66 from the Texas-Oklahoma border area and west to the Arizona-California border. The team will research the terrain and architecture of the Mother Road. The trip will be reminiscent of when he guided Pixar’s creative team down Route 66 in 2001 and 2002.

More proof that Cars Land will have little relevance to the park's California theme.

Bravo, WDI.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

^^I don't know, Route 66 is a big part of California and I think it will make a great addition to DCA's overall theme. Glazing over the Condor Flats area should definitely be a big part of the second phase because the Cars Land desert concept is definitely going to show a big difference in quality than the bare-bone theming and awkward placement of Condor Flats.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    More proof that Cars Land will have little relevance to the park's California theme.

Bravo, WDI.
    And again, like WDI cares. But as you even quoted, California is part of Route 66 - there is the relevance. Quite frankly, your constant attacking of the theme of this attraction is pretty pathetic. So because YOU do not believe it is part of the theme, that doesn't mean it is not. How about your write yourself a little email or letter to the heads designing this and ask them yourself instead of questioning the integrity of the decisions the great minds with Imagineering are doing.

And BRAVO to you DisneyMickey for also pointing out the facts as well.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    ^^I don't know, Route 66 is a big part of California and I think it will make a great addition to DCA's overall theme. Glazing over the Condor Flats area should definitely be a big part of the second phase because the Cars Land desert concept is definitely going to show a big difference in quality than the bare-bone theming and awkward placement of Condor Flats.
    Of course Route 66 is a big part of California. But WDI is going on a field trip to study the Route 66 that isn't part of California. According to that article, they're going from the Oklahoma-Texas border all the way through Arizona- but stopping at the California border!

If anything, WDI should be focusing on California's portion of Route 66. Not Texas', Arizona's, and Oklahoma's.

| | |

• Banned User

Of course Route 66 is a big part of California. But WDI is going on a field trip to study the Route 66 that isn't part of California.

If anything, WDI should be focusing on California's portion of Route 66. Not Texas', Arizona's, and Oklahoma's.
    Yes, but for all purposes, you cannot understand one part of Route 66 without understanding the entire thing. I have been all up and down Route 66 numerous times as a kid, and I guess if you haven't done the same, then you don't know. I like the Pixar mentality that Big John is doing for WDI - if you want to have the best entertainment value, you have to research what you are doing - you can't just look a bunch of pictures or read a couple of books and then have an understanding on the architecture or spirit of Route 66 - once you can appreciate the source, by actually having hands on experience with it, then it can truly be understood and re-created faithfully.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Bravo, WDI.
    It is a freaking research trip. California car culture seen through Route 66 is nothing unusual. Route 66 is itself seen as a singular entity, transcending state borders.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    Yes, but for all purposes, you cannot understand one part of Route 66 without understanding the entire thing. I have been all up and down Route 66 numerous times as a kid, and I guess if you haven't done the same, then you don't know.
    If they were going to include California's portion of Route 66 in their little field trip, I'd agree with you - but from that article, it appears that WDI is not going to be paying much attention to California's stretch of Route 66. How is that good for a California-themed park?

| | |

If they were going to include California's portion of Route 66 in their little field trip, I'd agree with you - but from that article, it appears that WDI is not going to be paying much attention to California's stretch of Route 66. How is that good for a California-themed park?
    Bold=mine
    From the article, they are building the the "Cars Land Amusement Park" in "Disneyland."

It appears Route 66 News may not be 100% accurate on their wording.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Banned User

You keep answering your own questions. It is an article. A sparsely detailed article too - are you going on the trip? It would be VERY good for a California-theme park with a Route 66 based attraction to have a complete understanding of Route 66 - the California stretch and all.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    Bold=mine
    From the article, they are building the the "Cars Land Amusement Park" in "Disneyland."

It appears Route 66 News may not be 100% accurate on their wording.
    Touché

You keep answering your own questions. It is an article. A sparsely detailed article too - are you going on the trip? It would be VERY good for a California-theme park with a Route 66 based attraction to have a complete understanding of Route 66 - the California stretch and all.
    Fair enough, you and ROBONICS make a good point - the article isn't very detailed. However, if we are to believe the wording and the provided information, then why wouldn't WDI be studying California's Route 66 as well? The article is clear that the trip will be focusing on the stretch from the OK-TX border to the CA-AZ border.

I'm not trying to complain here for no reason. I would just like to see some thematic integrity with this new land. I'm sure the area will be highly detailed, and visually impressive - however, how much is that truly worth when the area has no relevance to the California theme?

Flik's Fun Fair is wonderfully themed - but the land has no clear connection to the California theme (and of course it has highly mediocre attractions) and I think that hurts the area greatly.

| | |

• Banned User

I am sorry to you MG - I just don't like attacking of unbuilt attractions when we do not know everything.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I am sorry to you MG - I just don't like attacking of unbuilt attractions when we do not know everything.
    I understand... and I try to refrain from doing so. But so far, my understanding of Radiator Springs (which is what will be recreated in Cars Land) is that it isn't even located in California, but more likely in Arizona.

I've posted the clip from the film on these boards before, and people like to discount it, but I believe its very clear that Radiator Springs has no place in California.

Understand that I am not discounting the quality of the attractions and the land itself - I'm sure that Radiator Springs Racers is going to be an exceptional addition to the park, and Cars Land - from everything I've seen - looks to be ridiculously detailed and top-notch quality - but my concern here is theme relevance to the park. My problem is that the characters from Cars and the town of Radiator Springs aren't from or in California - and that is problematic to me.

| | |

• Animatronic

Bravo, WDI.
    lol. You aren't alone. This was the first thing that popped into my head.

Technically, California history is filled with cars and Route 66 was part of the original DCA. It *could* work.

My problem is more with the talking cars then the Arizona location of Radiator Springs, which could be fudged. Having lived in California my whole life, I've never seen a talking car.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast