Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Technological Alchemist

Re: What's Up With All The Stop Parades at Disneyland/DCA? Why No Continuous Parades?

Quote Originally Posted by codelyokorox View Post
    I like the parade stops because, and this is gonna sound obsessive, I know where the Alice float stops. And frankly, I like the attention the Hatter usually gives me when I sit in that area.

I don't think I'll be so fond of it if it was a different parade. Because once the parade was off, and Ariel float stopped in front of me. And the entire time I was bored. Then again, the Ariel doesn't dance around like Alice does.

I agree completely. I too know where Alice stops, and that's where you will find me. The other sequences don't do much for me and could pretty much drive by, with characters permanently atop a float... Tink, Ariel, Simba, etc.

I like the show stops, I LOVED the Party Gras parade which was the first show stop parade I remember seeing, PG had more guest interaction than POD. In PG the dances would drag people from the audience into a huge conga line, what fun that was.

Moving parades like MSEP have less interaction, ok, Alice talks to the crowd, but most parades are like watch the costumed people go by.

• Lost in Wonderland

Re: What's Up With All The Stop Parades at Disneyland/DCA? Why No Continuous Parades?

Quote Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
    Lion King Celebration, if I remember correctly, did not start out as a "show stop" parade. It started out as a great parade that was too short and they ended up adding the "show stops" to increase the length. It was something like 5 or 7 mins...nothing worth waiting 30 mins to an hr to see. When they added the "show stops" it ended up being one of the best DL parades ever!
    The Lion King Celebration was actually performed with show stops since its opening day. On its opening day in July in 1994?, it was extremely hot (over 100 degrees) but they still performed a show stop since the media was there (normally it would have been cut in that type of heat).

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by soccermouse View Post
    Actually, I believe that it does. Chip and Dale stop their car and get out and mess around. Goofy's gingerbread house/float stops and the 'chefs' run around. They may not be long, but I would call them stops.
    I think when people refer to a "show stop", they are referring to when an entire parade stops at the same time.

• Lost in Wonderland

Long ago parades were much longer at Disneyland. Back in the days of Fantasy on Parade, the first float would be coming in the gate and the last float was still a few minutes away from stepping off. So parades were often longer than the Disneyland parade route.

Now the parades tend to be shorter in length. But technologically, the floats are amazing. They seem more interested in quality than quantity. As they try to build better and better floats to amaze the guests, they become a lot more expensive to build and maintain. For example, they could have built a lot more floats if they made them like those in Parade of the Stars. Those floats had NO on-float audio and little or NO on-float lighting from what I've heard. But Parade of Dreams has floats with on-float audio, on-float lighting that is programmed to the music, waterfalls on floats, animatronics on the floats (Zazu, Lumiere, Sebastian), puppets (Simba, Nala, Cogsworth, Ursula), float lifts that extend upwards (Lion King tree, Pinocchio tower, Ariel fountain), and lots of moving elements. They also programmed the parade route lighting to the music, which adds a lot to the show stops. I'm sure building the lift mechanisms on the floats for show stops was not cheap.

Show stops tend to be a decision made to get more guest interaction, rather than to make a parade seem longer. Although Parade of Dreams doesn't have the same level of guest participation as the Party Gras congo line or the Lion King Celebration drums/gourds/etc. handed to guests to shake to the music, Parade of Dreams still offers more interaction than a travel-only parade through perfomers stopping and dancing in front of you and getting people to clap to the music. Some of the performers would be stuck on floats the entire time, but thanks to the show stops, they can get off and interact with the guests.

• Princess Aurora Fan

I love the parade stop for the Parade of Dreams, It is my favorite part! Especially if it stops for the last float, my fave!!
    ~Princess Aurora at Heart~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123