Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I love Disney

Haunted Mansion Pepper's ghost question.

Does anyone know how to do the effet of Pepper's Ghost like in the ballroom could you please tell me?
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
    or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
    Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

• Minion

Re: Haunted Mansion Pepper's ghost question.

There's a piece of glass between your doom buggy and the ballroom. You know how when you look at glass you can slightly see reflections, right? Same effect. You are looking down on the ballroom giving them an angle to work with. So instead of the reflections being behind you like on a normal piece of glass, it's below you. Below your doom buggy is a dark room with AAs moving around as they appear, except they are lit every so often as WDI decides to show them. What appears on the glass is a transparent reflection of the AAs. I was thinking about doing a diagram but I don't know how to use GIMP, but I can use Photoshop.

Its quite simple actually, the anamatronics are right below your doombuggy (theres a room underneath you) and there is a Giant (I mean Huge) pane of glass that is angled so, when the animatronics light up below you, you can see their reflection in the glass.

its sorta like you seeing yourself in storefront glass. It looks like you are inside and you can see through yourself.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Magic Making

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Its quite simple actually, the anamatronics are right below your doombuggy (theres a room underneath you) and there is a Giant (I mean Huge) pane of glass that is angled so, when the animatronics light up below you, you can see their reflection in the glass.

its sorta like you seeing yourself in storefront glass. It looks like you are inside and you can see through yourself.
    Actually its not angled. Its the first of this effect to use a fully verticle piece of glass, both in front of you and in front of the two staging rooms, above and below.

• =)

The above posts are correct. However, let me add that there is an additional room above the track where more animatronics are located--the ghosts sitting on the chandeliers and coming out of the portraits and swirling through the windows.

Let me refer you to the first in my series of "Disneyland Virtual Tour" videos, which includes a flythrough of the ballroom scene, including glimpses of the animatronic rooms and a good look at the location of the glass. It's all to scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=GRezdYAmJlI
    You can also see blueprints of the WDW ballroom, which is identical to ours in virtually every way, a little past halfway down this page. Let me know if you have any questions about those prints, since I've spent a rather long while figuring them out.

EDIT: SparkyLD, you're correct that the glass is not angled, but I'm not sure that it's the very first instance of Pepper's Ghost to use a vertical pane of glass. Do you have a source on that? I mean, I'm aware that most uses of it in theater and such used an angled pane, but it seems likely that someone somewhere would have used a vertical one before the mansion was created. It is said to be the largest instance of the effect, though, and considering the glass is about 30x85 feet in size...well, I'm inclined to believe that claim.

• I love Disney

Can you make a diagram of how it works and how do they get the image of the aa on the glass do they use a mirror or glass and where is it located?
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/

• Magic Making

My source is wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppers_Ghost

Second paragraph towards the bottom.

Ok so me saying first, was probably wrong, but it does use a vertical pane of glass.
    Last edited by SparkyLD; 01-23-2008 at 01:27 PM.

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The above posts are correct. However, let me add that there is an additional room above the track where more animatronics are located--the ghosts sitting on the chandeliers and coming out of the portraits and swirling through the windows.

Let me refer you to the first in my series of "Disneyland Virtual Tour" videos, which includes a flythrough of the ballroom scene, including glimpses of the animatronic rooms and a good look at the location of the glass. It's all to scale.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GRezdYAmJlI
    You can also see blueprints of the WDW ballroom, which is identical to ours in virtually every way, a little past halfway down this page. Let me know if you have any questions about those prints, since I've spent a rather long while figuring them out.

EDIT: SparkyLD, you're correct that the glass is not angled, but I'm not sure that it's the very first instance of Pepper's Ghost to use a vertical pane of glass. Do you have a source on that? I mean, I'm aware that most uses of it in theater and such used an angled pane, but it seems likely that someone somewhere would have used a vertical one before the mansion was created. It is said to be the largest instance of the effect, though, and considering the glass is about 30x85 feet in size...well, I'm inclined to believe that claim.

Dude,

I had no Idea that your model was interior as well...

VERY well Done. I am very impressed. I'm looking forward to your progress now.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• =)

Can you make a diagram of how it works and how do they get the image of the aa on the glass do they use a mirror or glass and where is it located?
    It's a pane of glass, so you're seeing the real ballroom set behind the glass with reflections of the ghosts, who are actually below and above you. There's no trick in getting the images of the ghosts onto the glass--they just put them in black rooms but shine bright lights on the ghosts themselves, so they reflect in the glass.

Yes, it's to scale.

I had no Idea that your model was interior as well...

VERY well Done. I am very impressed. I'm looking forward to your progress now.
    Oh, thank you! That's why you gotta make sure you look at all the renders...you never know what you might have missed in the last eight months or so. Keep in mind that I don't have interiors for everything, at least not yet--and there isn't a single building where the interior is complete. The Haunted Mansion is the closest to complete, since I have the most information about that attraction, but there's still basic structural stuff I haven't built, not to mention the actual props and AAs and all the other complex stuff I'll probably never create.
    Last edited by Datameister; 01-23-2008 at 01:36 PM.

don't forget the blue is a slanted pane of glass. The ballroom itself is empty and the glass is reflecting the Audio Animatronics so they look like their on the chairs and stuff (the ballroom) but those chairs have nothing on them.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• =)

don't forget the blue is a slanted pane of glass. The ballroom itself is empty and the glass is reflecting the Audio Animatronics so they look like their on the chairs and stuff (the ballroom) but those chairs have nothing on them.
    Correct, except the glass isn't slanted.

• I love Disney

do you know how i can create that effect with vanishing and reappearing a tennis ball.

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

I have to say this has been a lot of great, great information. I never knew how they did the ghost effect in the ballroom. Thanks everybody.

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

• =)

do you know how i can create that effect with vanishing and reappearing a tennis ball.
    Probably the easiest way would be to use two cardboard boxes, one with the tennis ball but totally black on the inside, with a light built in. Then the other box would be at a 90-degree angle to the first one, with a pane of glass at a 45-degree angle between them. By turning the tennis ball light on and and off, you can make it appear and disappear in the other box.

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

I had heard that they use a special glass that is not readily made anymore for the effect. Data?

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast