Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Evil Queen in Training

Name Writing: the lost art??

When I went to Disneyland two weeks ago I was slightly disappointed to discover they have removed the old fashion sewing machines that personalized the hats. I must confess, I was a bit bummed. I remember a time when the only place to get the hats were at The Mad Hatter, now, every vendor sells them. It was a special moment to take my daughter to The Mad Hatter for her first ears, but it was a like a bit of my childhood that was missing.

I had the chance to chat with the CM for a few minutes on the decision to remove the "human" aspect of hat making. She told me that in the time the computer takes to make one hat, she could make three. I could tell she missed the old system, but she said the reasoning was the writing could be more consistent. Which is another bummer. With the old system, you knew you would get a one-of-a-kind hat.

Anyone else bummed about this, or am I just way to out of control!
    R.I.P.

January 3, 2008-January 27, 2008

May you rest in peace in the happiest place on earth.

(FYI you were replaced with Winne the Pooh Shoes for $12.00 at Walmart)

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Name Writing: the lost art??

One reason I was given (and possibly this was a convenient excuse) is that the old machines (and they looked pretty old) were becoming increasingly hard to get replacement parts for, and were more and more prone to breakdowns. This called into question their long-term viability, and prompted the computerized version we see now.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    One reason I was given (and possibly this was a convenient excuse) is that the old machines (and they looked pretty old) were becoming increasingly hard to get replacement parts for, and were more and more prone to breakdowns. This called into question their long-term viability, and prompted the computerized version we see now.
    And being that they are computerized, replacement parts should be hard to find in less than 5 years.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I was truly bummed about this too. I know someone who was a person who did that back in Disneyland back in the 80s and he was really sad about it.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    And being that they are computerized, replacement parts should be hard to find in less than 5 years.
    Computers are wonderful and I welcome their inevitable Lordship over us. When they decide to make their move, I will embrace our new Overlords and rule you all.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Nah if they are using a high quality industry standard like Tajima parts will be around for a long time. Tajima has computerized machines out working that have been in the filed for over 20 years now and they are still doing well with plenty of serviceability. Most the computer control of the machine is modularly integrated and can be upgraded and changed out by a dufus with a screwdriver.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddies Mommy View Post
    When I went to Disneyland two weeks ago I was slightly disappointed to discover they have removed the old fashion sewing machines that personalized the hats. I must confess, I was a bit bummed. I remember a time when the only place to get the hats were at The Mad Hatter, now, every vendor sells them. It was a special moment to take my daughter to The Mad Hatter for her first ears, but it was a like a bit of my childhood that was missing.

I had the chance to chat with the CM for a few minutes on the decision to remove the "human" aspect of hat making. She told me that in the time the computer takes to make one hat, she could make three. I could tell she missed the old system, but she said the reasoning was the writing could be more consistent. Which is another bummer. With the old system, you knew you would get a one-of-a-kind hat.

Anyone else bummed about this, or am I just way to out of control!
    Right before the made the big switch, I was told by a cast member in Mad Hatter that the change was prompted by the fact that there had been too many workers comp claims connected to the old machines. Knowing how health and safety standards have become ridiculously restrictive in CA and personally feeling the crunch of exponentially increasing workers comp insurance costs after my company's "experience" rose with just a few claims two years ago, this made sense to me. Just another vestige of the sue-happy, over-regulated business environment here in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by NDNation View Post
    Right before the made the big switch, I was told by a cast member in Mad Hatter that the change was prompted by the fact that there had been too many workers comp claims connected to the old machines. Knowing how health and safety standards have become ridiculously restrictive in CA and personally feeling the crunch of exponentially increasing workers comp insurance costs after my company's "experience" rose with just a few claims two years ago, this made sense to me. Just another vestige of the sue-happy, over-regulated business environment here in CA.
    I hadn't even thought of that part of the equation. Needle sticks are a common occurrence in the garment industry.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great point. If completely true it is very sad.

• Evil Queen in Training

Computers are wonderful and I welcome their inevitable Lordship over us. When they decide to make their move, I will embrace our new Overlords and rule you all.
    one word:

Solitare
    R.I.P.

January 3, 2008-January 27, 2008

May you rest in peace in the happiest place on earth.

(FYI you were replaced with Winne the Pooh Shoes for $12.00 at Walmart)

• Banned User

I find that I get a lot more errors in the hat, like thread snags, in the new computerized versions. Probably another reason for the turn over is so that many people can work them. There is no specialization in any of the stores anymore so probably everyone needs to know how to use the new machines. And they probably don't want to pay those people how to use the old machines because they had probably been there for a while, and their pay was probably higher.
    I'm glad that I have 3 hats with the old school style machine.

On the other hand, injuries due to working conditions are rotten, and if people were being stuck, or getting repetitive motion injuries, it's a good and caring thing they did, for their employees, to get rid of those machines. I tend towards carpal tunnel problems, and even though I don't treat it medically (acupuncture and chiropractic keep my wrists healthy) even "alternative" care for the problem gets expensive. If I were experiencing those problems due to a machine at my work, why *wouldn't* it be right for the company to either pay for my care or make the workplace less painful?

Then again, I don't even remember the old way, and really got a kick out of watching the machine put Captain Son'sName on his new pirate hat. Almost as much fun as watching my friend's embroidery machine work on a pattern.

• DL Nerd

I was thinking of starting a new company.... Skynet....

you want in?
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

It's a well-known fact that monkeys will rule the world. What is not as well-known is that they demand their hat personalization be paw done.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    It's a well-known fact that monkeys will rule the world. What is not as well-known is that they demand their hat personalization be paw done.

Did you just call Swab a monkey? Just asking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast